TR5 being auctioned tomorrow 19th April

TR5 being auctioned tomorrow 19th April, by Mellors & Kirk. Lot 759.

https://www.mellorsandkirk.com/auction-calendar/
Details include:
Motor Car. Sold on the instructions of executors. 1968 Triumph TR5, Conifer Green, chassis No CP.1789, one of 1161 for the home market, with several factory options, including wire wheels and soft and surrey tops, a number of original parts (retained when replaced) and spares, spare parts catalogue and other period literature, Document V5C and SORN

The sale of this classic 60's sports car affords a rare opportunity to acquire a sound and relatively unmolested example for recommissioning. The late owner, Mr S A Johnson, Papplewick, Nottingham, acquired the vehicle in November 1977 and in a letter to the DVLA in 2005 (copy available) he stated "Since my first[sic] ownership of the vehicle it has never been used or parked on a public road, it has always been garaged at one address or the other... as an indication of the use / activity of the vehicle in question since first purchased by myself the vehicle has covered 77 miles in 27 years and 9 months of ownership... The majority of these few miles were incurred on tow under trade plate cover to the coach builders who restored some body work around 1979/80 in Bulwell Nottingham"

Mellors & Kirk acknowledges the assistance of David Groom in connection with this lot.

image.png

Well, that will be interesting with an estimate of £10k to £15k!
Tim

Including hefty fees probably about £27k out the door, be interesting to see under those carpets!

Stuart.

20 minutes ago, stuart said:

Including hefty fees probably about £27k out the door, be interesting to see under those carpets!

Stuart.

Might actually be heartbreaking to see what lurks under the carpets........ fingers crossed!!!

Carpet area looked damp.  I had a mate who viewed it, he said good panels and gaps, doors shut nicely and generally pretty decent,  nice decent quality spares too.

I did put a bid in and then sense kicked in  !!

Best of luck to the buyer.

Conrad

4 hours ago, Peter V W said:

Very damp garage!

Curious that the instrument bezels for the small Smiths gauges are covered in rust, but the Lucas Ammeter bezel looks clean.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:51 PM, John L said:

Out of pure interest, are the front overriders on a TR5 in the right place, shouldn't they be a bit further out where the other chrome bolt is??

John

22 hours ago, openroad said:

Hi John, yes , sort of between the indicator and the headlamp.

Conrad

The link on the top of the thread takes you to the Auction House Home page, that said I've managed to find the car now and to save anyone searching like I did you can see what John and Conrad are referring to on this link.

https://auctions.mellorsandkirk.com/catalogue/lot/1165f06abaa5f198a862a8482875ebc9/6d0808242845d9a724247bb4d43cabe3/antique-collectors-sale-lot-759/

• 1 month later...

This was in the CCA recent Auction, I went to view .

She looked good , but didn't sell ! So still available.

Conrad.

51 minutes ago, openroad said:

This was in the CCA recent Auction, I went to view .

She looked good , but didn't sell ! So still available.

Conrad.

Well that scrubbed up really well! You wouldnt think it was the same car. What did it get bid to this time round Conrad? I see its buy it now for double the price it sold for the first time round so someones flipped it.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Conrad on here has physically viewed this car.

Hi Tom

Yes, he does say this above.

It would seem not to have reached its reserve price though, maybe a sign of the times with peoples finances?

I had a mate attend the auction and he said a lot of the cars didn't sell or get near there reserves.

A Nice looking late Brown Stag went for round £9K which seemed a bargain to me, the Gorgeous P5B Rover Coupe was in the middle of its Estimate and sold though.

Gary  

I think whats crabbed that one is people saw it before it was tarted up and are wary of it.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Gary F said:

Hi Tom

Yes, he does say this above.

It would seem not to have reached its reserve price though, maybe a sign of the times with peoples finances?

I had a mate attend the auction and he said a lot of the cars didn't sell or get near there reserves.

A Nice looking late Brown Stag went for round £9K which seemed a bargain to me, the Gorgeous P5B Rover Coupe was in the middle of its Estimate and sold though.

Gary  

Hi Gary,

I believe it is a genuine car, but having stood for approx 45 years, I wonder what condition the engine will be in (internally), and other expensive mechanical bits.  I believe it is too expensive, & of course a sign of the times.