Speed drive right angled thingy

Never easy 

Sent my gearbox off for a rebuild and didn’t get the drive take-off back. So looking to get another and have realised why it went walkabout. 

Can someone tell me which one of these I need?

pic of gearbox also 

23D26BEF-9CC3-4349-86B9-417E36B3E0E5.png

4B594171-992B-4648-97A5-0A05206FB813.jpeg

I seem to replace these regularly. I get maybe 8000 miles from each one and I’ve been careful to ensure the copper washer is fitted to prevent loading the mechanism when tightening. There are ‘improved’ versions (ex TRGB / TR Enterprises) which are reported to be bulletproof but I have no experience, although I may bite the bucket now as the latest one has just failed. An observation is that these aftermarket assemblies have a machine screw in place of a grease nipple, and just wondering if the lack of lubrication - yes I forget at service, is a factor.  However and here is the question - I’m sure I have read somewhere that on gearboxes with J type OD the speedometer cable can be connected directly to the drive take off without the angle drive fitted. Can anyone confirm this?

TonyC

The cheap right angle drives have been a long saga of dodgy parts. This old thread from Alan T explains much though the pictures no longer seem to display automatically.

It was the flexible drive that died on mine, plus the blanking plate had gone missing. I found a replacement blanking plate, the little knock out plates in a galvanised domestic electrical wall box are a perfect interference fit. But the flexible cable drive was a problem so I bought a replacement unit.

The TR Shop ones have circlips holding the plates in place,  which gave me more confidence then the Moss offering 

George 

Its a long time since I owned a TR4a which had a similar right angle drive but could a TR4 speedo cable be fitted direct with just a small modification to the tunnel?  Ive also seen the cable run direct inside the cockpit under the carpet along the floor of TR rally cars to keep it out of the way.

Edited by Drewmotty
7 hours ago, stuart said:

I fit these,also supplied by others but buy direct theyre cheaper https://www.speedograph-richfield.com/shop/angle-drives/rgb-2401-series

Stuart.

+1 for Stuarts suggestion.

I fitted a cheapo from the usual suspects and before it spun a wheel the blanking plug fell out. Another one from a different supplier looked to come from the same supplier so I bit the bullet and had one made, not cheap to me as one off but a group buy might reduce the cost? Night and day when you compare them side by side for quality. 

Copper washer that's a separate argument!

Andy

3 minutes ago, lee said:

Thanks guys. 
move asked for a price and how to order the Speedograph jobbie. 
No price on that item for some reason. 

lee

I was about to say, Speedograph is your place, for an excellent quality one, otherwise, you will be replacing with regularity.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, lee said:

Thanks guys. 
move asked for a price and how to order the Speedograph jobbie. 
No price on that item for some reason. 

lee

£95.00 + VAT

Type BG 2401

You select your car from the drop brown list I guess to make an order.

https://www.speedograph-richfield.com/shop/angle-drives/rgb-2401-series

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I just rung them up and ordered over the phone, worked a treat and it was with me a couple of days later.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, lee said:

Ok thx. 

they didn’t respond to my email 

I can’t seem to get anything from the drop-down 

Like I said above just ring them up and order

Stuart.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:19 AM, TonyC said:

I seem to replace these regularly. I get maybe 8000 miles from each one and I’ve been careful to ensure the copper washer is fitted to prevent loading the mechanism when tightening. There are ‘improved’ versions (ex TRGB / TR Enterprises) which are reported to be bulletproof but I have no experience, although I may bite the bucket now as the latest one has just failed. An observation is that these aftermarket assemblies have a machine screw in place of a grease nipple, and just wondering if the lack of lubrication - yes I forget at service, is a factor.  However and here is the question - I’m sure I have read somewhere that on gearboxes with J type OD the speedometer cable can be connected directly to the drive take off without the angle drive fitted. Can anyone confirm this?

TonyC

Tony, the copper washer is only for BMC cars and therefore not Triumph???

Bruce.

Good to know Bruce, thank you. I had thought that the theory was that without the washer, the drive mechanism could be ‘compressed’ when tightened and resultant interference fit caused premature failure. It’ s all to do again and on my long list so will do some dimensional checks before fitting anything new.

TonyC

7 hours ago, TonyC said:

Good to know Bruce, thank you. I had thought that the theory was that without the washer, the drive mechanism could be ‘compressed’ when tightened and resultant interference fit caused premature failure. It’ s all to do again and on my long list so will do some dimensional checks before fitting anything new.

TonyC

WARNING message on the cheaper Rimmers one I just got strictly says to not miss the copper washer out as it causes too much load and will fail 

1 hour ago, lee said:

WARNING message on the cheaper Rimmers one I just got strictly says to not miss the copper washer out as it causes too much load and will fail 

Best "glue" the blanking plug in first Lee :P before retiring it to the bin.

Washer or not to washer let the show begin!

Pole 

No washer +1

Washer

Andy

16 hours ago, PodOne said:

Best "glue" the blanking plug in first Lee :P before retiring it to the bin.

Washer or not to washer let the show begin!

Pole 

No washer +1

Washer

Andy

Not Rimmers ;):lol:

Stuart.