Just for info and no judgement I’ll put my work hat on. 

using heating oil may produce “dark smoke”. 
It also sounds like the fire is in a field ? If this field is agricultural ?. ( rather than designated as part of the domestic curtilage ie garden) 

then this is a strict offence with in the clean air act (as amended) 

dark smoke from an industrial or trade premises.(agricultural land meets this definition)

it would probably take a neighbour complaint for it to become an official issue  ?

1 hour ago, stillp said:

This one?

Pete

Yes.

It was especially scary for us as we are surrounded by woodland and hedges and do not have mains water - so no fire hydrant.

Peter

11 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Tomorrow I plan to start a small bonfire and plan to use some old heating oil which is in an unused tank. This should be safe as a small start to the project. Please advise.

Thanks Richard & B

Richard - this thread was in response to your original question about bonfires - please read through about protecting hibernating and other wildlife before lighting - also consider composting and green bins as a non polluting alternative.

I take my garden rubbish to the tip myself, but I'm sure my annoying neighbours who have bonfires on lovely warm evening when i'm sitting in the garden having a glass of beer looking at my TR I've  just spent the afternoon cleaning is been covered in a light dusting of floating ash and my house is filled with smoke through open windows would be able to give you some tips on how to light your bonfire and also repeat the advice I give them as to how to put it out.

Thanks for the replies. 

Suzanne has not explained the Wayne reference yet. The bonfire is cancelled and my local tip has an old engine oil facility. So at the moment all things are in good shape.

Thanks Richard & B

I've just done my yearly 30 minute stint of no dig, trim or cut zero carbon fire gardening of my ornamental grasses this weekend with a single match. Job done and all the ash washed into the soil by the rain today. Bit black but they always recover natures way. Cant see what's wrong with returning natural nutrients to Mother Nature.

Long live the Bonfire. Just be considerate besides there's nothing like a fire to attract a friendly social gathering.

Andy