I find the seats in the TR3A extremely comfortable but purely from a safety point of view, I would prefer a seat with a headrest or perhaps correctly named head restraint. I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has fitted after market seats to their TR3. I would not want to compromise on the comfort of the standard seat and would hope that any replacement would be as good if not better and have the option of a head restraint.

I would appreciate your comments. Thank you

John

I wanted a pair of seats with headrests for my TR3a and bought a pair of renovated MX5 Mark 2 seats from a guy called:

Paul Bishop
Bottom Farm
Hatchers Lane
Owslebury
Nr Winchester
Hampshire
SO21 1LX

They are a bit of a squeeze to fit but I have been very happy with them.  They were a lot cheaper than the Restorations offering although I have to agree with Bob that the Restorations seats are the Dogs wotsits.

Alternatively, if you go to the Revington TR web site he is offering what I assume is a pair of seats plus runners for £474.  You could do worse than give them a call.

Seats for sale on Revington Web page

Rgds Ian

P1070521.JPG

Thank you for your reply Ian. I do know of Paul Bishop who does a cracking job on MX5 seats and they do look good in your car. I'm a bit mystified as to what Revington's are actually offering in the link you attached because their seats start at £1300 without headrest or runners. I'll give them a call and also Racetorations. I couldn't find any dimensions on the Racetorations site. I am currently in conversation with Sam Browne at Ridgard and their seats are very nice but on the face of it at 22 inches wide are too wide to fit in the 19.5 inches between the tunnel and the inner side of the car. Plenty of names in the mix and the hard bit is making the best choice.

There are plenty of cars (race cars even) that have Ridguards fitted, I can't see why they won't fit.

Mick Richards

Bought a pair of MX 5 seats with detachable headrests for £65.00.  for my TR3A.
They would not go far enough rearwards in the car to allow me sufficient leg room even if I bashed the rear wheel arches with a big hammer.

They went up for sale for £65.00 and are now sold and delivered to……an MX 5 owner.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi, we have fitted many Ridgard seats to sidescreen cars, they are tight thats for sure :) But they do fit

Tom

If, like me, you are not just short (under 5' 6"), but particularly short in the legs, you may find it impossible to get the Ridgard seat sufficiently forward to be able to operate the clutch.  The seat hit the gearbox cover and the toes of my left foot were only just touching the clutch pedal of my TR4.

I had bought a pair of very nice second-hand Ridgards, but, for this reason, had to sell them on.

Ian Cornish

Thank you for all your input. There are three contenders on my list, Revington, Ridgard and Racetorations, interestingly all beginning with R. Ridgard and Racetorations are approximately £2000 for a pair of seats so nothing to choose between the two in price and Revington £3000 for a pair. From the information I have, Revington are tailor made for the TR and will fit without compromise whereas the other two are more universal. I believe the Ridgard seat is more bulky that the one from Racetorations,  a squeeze to fit it and it has to be offset. I just don't know which way to jump.

Hi all

I have just had another set of seats made by Cobra (custom colour of midnight blue again) and the quality and fit is fantastic against the much more modest cost. Vinyl is obviously cheaper than leather, but the last set of leather seats I had in shadow blue were just excellent … and they fit both a TR3 and a Tr4 with a roll rage and door bars.

regards

Tony 

1 hour ago, TR4Tony VC said:

Hi all

I have just had another set of seats made by Cobra (custom colour of midnight blue again) and the quality and fit is fantastic against the much more modest cost. Vinyl is obviously cheaper than leather, but the last set of leather seats I had in shadow blue were just excellent … and they fit both a TR3 and a Tr4 with a roll rage and door bars.

regards

Tony 

Which of the Cobra seats have you had made and fitted Tony?

https://www.cobraseats.com/historic.html

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hello there, this has been my experience: about  eight years ago I bought a pair of Cobra Roadster SR seats. I knew these were never designed for a TR3, but I was hopeful that my primitive fabrication skills could make them work for me. I bought the seat adjusters they suggested I use, made my own seat risers and I persuaded them to fit in the factory floorboard holes. The LH seat (my driver’s side) could not be adjusted forward from its most rearward position. The RH side could only be put forward one notch with the seat adjuster (about 3/4”) before it to hit the trans tunnel. At 5’10” this was initially o.k.
    I let it stay like this for about three more years because I was busy modifying other modifications and also that my aging body with its compressed spinal disc absolutely loved these seats. They were a definite upgrade from my homemade stiff foam seats that served me well when I was stronger and more limber. By stripping down the seats to their bare frames, cutting off the corners that hit the tunnel, and tweaking the vinyl upon reassembly, I am well pleased with the outcome. Both seats can travel up to eight inches forward. This is more than enough for my 5’4” wife to operate the controls comfortably. 
   I know these seats do not have a headrest, but my punchline is this: some of us can buy off the rack and be enthralled with our choice while others must have specific criteria or we will have a nagging discontent. With the seats, there are not only parameters of fit but also of thigh support and line of vision to the side(s). (Too much height in the seat risers, if used, can make you bow your head to look out from underneath the top while in traffic.) It takes a certain amount of time to get all of the measurements right and I think you should strongly consider a seat that was designed for your car instead of a universal seat. If you can possibly sit in a car so equipped, I think you will be glad you made the trip. IMO there could be a  lot of time/money/satisfaction on the line here. 
   JamesB57FDF66-89EA-47A4-A72F-374C5B1C8987.thumb.jpeg.ce372b03ffa7440897ee5ab468c1fc31.jpegC756C75E-A5E0-4EDC-9DAB-66F505CE2632.thumb.jpeg.91093070ad0f1e0b815c6fae855e7f22.jpeg

Edited by Jtex60easy
Clarify that this was a Cobra seat & cleaner syntax also.

Very wise words and some good advice there, thank you. And compliments on your fabrication skills, a nice job. 

At the moment, I'm unsure of how to proceed. As far as I know, Revington are the only ones offering bespoke seats but can I justify £3k just for the peace of mind of having a head restraint? In all other respects the standard seats are spot on. You are quite right, I need to sit in some seats before committing.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:51 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Which of the Cobra seats have you had made and fitted Tony?

https://www.cobraseats.com/historic.html

Hi Peter

Ive had a number of sets of the Classic RS, in vinyl and leather, most in either Midnight or Shadow Blue …. For vinyl they are well under £1000 a pair including decent low rise runners. They are very comfortable in use and narrow enough … if anything I’d like them a little wider ! Also have had a set of the Monte Carlo in blue - in 5VC when the car was at the NEC last year.

The CS is a nice seat too.

regards

Tony 

Edited by TR4Tony VC
14 hours ago, TR4Tony VC said:

8F83CE07-87DA-4449-A2A0-2D1AD5C78629.jpeg

Interesting gear lever there Tony, what are the studs on the tunnel for? Presumably thats 5VC.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

studs on the tunnel are for a hoop that sits between the seats to stop you rolling over when cornering hard - probably very necessary with the seats used in the day (particularly the navigator seat as per 4VC as it basically has a flat bench type base) - I’ll refit 5VC’s hoop, certainly to start with, as it’s quite useful.

The middle studs are (I think) for what could be a slave bracket serving the handbrake perhaps … I have one that’s a close fit so I’ll try it eventually, but for now I’ll fit the cable handbrake as it is as I doubt I’ll be doing the sort of motorsport I do with the other TR4.

The gear lever is a ‘works’ part right from the start and all four cars have that cranked lever, which helps a lot with using the handbrake and going from 4th to 2nd, then up into 1st as you pull away … plenty room for elbows …

Regards

Tony

The hoop to restrain the navigator, mentioned by Tony, was fitted solely to the 3 cars which were converted to lefthand drive and went across the Pond to compete in the 1964 Shell 4000 Rally.

4VC, which remained in the UK and was purchased by Triumph's test driver, Gordon Birtwistle, never had that hoop, so doesn't display any such mountings.

The S-shaped gearlever brings its knob closer to the wheel and one's hand, which is helpful, although the lever is rather long.  However, it gets it clear of the handbrake, which was the objective.

What cannot be seen in Tony's photo, because he has carpet in place, is the petrol pipe running along the floor next to the propshaft tunnel.  And along the righthand sill, running along the floor, there's the bundy tube to the rear brakes.  These tubes run inside the cockpit to prevent them getting ripped off in rough rallies, particularly the Liege and RAC.

Ian Cornish

On 2/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, Susan Bonnett said:

Is anyone using Racetorations seat?

Thank you

John

Me also! And I’m a bit nearer to you than Bob. I’ve sent you a PM