What’s this fuel pump off?

21 minutes ago, Coops said:

Can anyone enlighten me? I’m looking at a fuel pump with an upright glass on it on a 2.5 engine (allegedly) . Is this out of a saloon, and more importantly, is it definitely a 2.5 engine? All opinions greatly appreciated!

Identifying the pump is a clue but it doesn't guarantee what engine it is.

Is there a visible engine number stamped on the ledge of the block just above the pump?  For reference letters CR CR CC CF are TR6 variations. If it starts with MG then a saloon engine. Maybe start with these first.

Edited by OldBob
clarification
On 1/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, Coops said:

Can anyone enlighten me? I’m looking at a fuel pump with an upright glass on it on a 2.5 engine (allegedly) . Is this out of a saloon, and more importantly, is it definitely a 2.5 engine? All opinions greatly appreciated!

Tell us the engine number and we s/b able to tell you. That upright glass tells me that it is a carb. engine? I would be looking for the pefix: MG, MM on the engine # for a UK engine.

Bruce.

Here’s a photo, I ended up buying off eBay an engine which is allegedly a 2.5 litre. I’m going to collect tomorrow morning (Wednesday 18th of January). I’m trying to find any clues to make sure it’s not a 2 litre as obviously that’s no use as a spare for my tr6. I need to be sure before I load it up and take it! I believe the timing chain case is deeper to house the wider duplex chain? and domed pistons are not welcome! Any other info , engine numbers etc will be most welcome! Thanks in advance to all contributors. Regards Coops.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, Coops said:

Here’s a photo, I ended up buying off eBay an engine which is allegedly a 2.5 litre. I’m going to collect tomorrow morning (Wednesday 18th of January). I’m trying to find any clues to make sure it’s not a 2 litre as obviously that’s no use as a spare for my tr6. I need to be sure before I load it up and take it! I believe the timing chain case is deeper to house the wider duplex chain? and domed pistons are not welcome! Any other info , engine numbers etc will be most welcome! Thanks in advance to all contributors. Regards Coops.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Coops!

The key issue is engine number? Take some emery cloth with you to remove the crud on the top front right of the block, between the front 2 head stud nuts and tell us what it reads. Then we s/b able to help you?

Bruce.

I did try before the sale, to no avail. He’s selling on behalf of his father, he has to travel to see the engine. Apparently there’s a lot more stuff, so I’m not too bothered, I’m working on the theory if the description is incorrect I can get my money back....

That looks like a Delco distributor rather than a Lucas unit.   Does that make it  

GT6 2 litre?   

That type of engine would have a sump with a clearance formed into it to clear the steering rack.  Can be seen here.  

2000/2500 sumps are formed on a slope because the engine fits at an angle in the chassis frame.   See here. https://www.chriswitor.com/proddetail.php?prod=308570SH

GT6 sump

image.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Not a tr6 or gt6 engine. They both have the engine mounts on the cylinder block. The one in the picture has the mounts on the engine front plate like the 2000/2500 saloons. That means it has the wrong front plate and backplate for use in a TR6. So it could be a 2000 or a 2500 but will need the plates swapping over to go into a TR6. You might get away without changing the front plate but the backplate must be changed or the engine will lean.

Wow! Thanks guys! All useful info. I’ve been and bought the engine, engine number is MM29396HE and also a gearbox with a j type overdrive, number for that is MD30818. I can’t do any photos yet , they are stuck in my mates van elsewhere as I have snow at my place. There’s various stag bits lying around at this guys, it would be nice if the box came from one? ... The guys putting all the stuff on eBay soon in one batch, I saw a stag engine complete , with another in bits. I advised him to auction those separately. I saw 3 other non overdrive boxes plus one auto. Buried under various seats, rusty bumpers boxes of bits etc, there’s a manky stag and a mk2 2500 estate, which I’m guessing is where my engine came from. I’ve asked him to alert me when he puts the stuff on so I can let everyone know on this forum. The guy seems sound, he’s wanting the space, he didn’t charge me much for my gearbox. 

Coops - the gearbox number signifies it's a saloon gearbox which can easily be used in a TR - you will need to use the saloon clutch plate but you won't need to change the clutch cover. If you can live with an inaccurate speedo ( Saloon = 14" wheels, not 15" as on your TR), then just go with it. You may find the solenoid arrangement fouls the chassis as it's in a different orientation to a TR one , in which case you can get the correct vertical mounting bracket from ORS in Sheffield and you will need to source a conversion bracket/kit to fit a J type OD box to an A type chassis.

Re the overdrive, the ID of the unit is on a small rectangular plate about 3" long and 1.5" deep which is pop rivetted on a flat area on the offside of the OD just above the sump - it should start 25/ or could be 28/  -the next 5/6 digits is the model the unit came off and the last digits are the number of units in that series. Some times these are missing in which case it's origin is anyone's guess till it's stripped down.

Cheers Rich

As Rich notes above, you can indeed use a saloon gearbox in a TR. My ex-US TR6 had a four-speed A-type box in it when I bought it, but the expense of either converting it to overdrive or buying an A-type overdrive box ruled that option out for me.

Instead, I've got a J-type box and 28% overdrive that would have originally been from a 2500S. No problems with solenoid clearance, but I had to buy a different output flange from ORS as the hole spacing was different to the flange on the TR prop. Also got a conversion bracket at the rear that uses a GT6 gearbox mount, so no problems with sourcing another one in the future should it be required. Saloon clutch kit and I was good to go! Combination of 28% overdrive and 3:7.1 final drive is also a good 'un – optimal for sharpness off the line and not too buzzy when cruising on the motorway.

Cheers,
Matt

Edited by matt george
2 hours ago, matt george said:

Mike C.

You don't need to be careful. Any plate for a 2000/2500 MkII will work, likewise any full kit for the aforementioned. Very much available. If you are having problems then very much happy to help :)

Matt

Thanks, but I meant make anyone working on the car aware that, even though it's a Triumph engine , it's not a TR6 engine.

Thanks very much guys! I’m relieved to hear the engines a 2500. That was the main thing for me. I bought these items as spares, the prices were right, that’s never going to happen nowadays if you want them in a rush. Much appreciate everyone’s help! Regards Alan.

Big question Coops - what’s the likelihood of it ever seeing your TR6 given you already have the correct engine ?!

Only asking as I’ve been here before, buying spares I might need in 40yrs time only for them to take up a ton of space in the garage/workshop.

A bit embarrassed about some of my collection - all bought with good intentions !

6 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Big question Coops - what’s the likelihood of it ever seeing your TR6 given you already have the correct engine ?!

Only asking as I’ve been here before, buying spares I might need in 40yrs time only for them to take up a ton of space in the garage/workshop.

A bit embarrassed about some of my collection - all bought with good intentions !

Very true, I have had 3 gear boxes a dif and an engine stashed away under my bench for at least 20 years although I did rob a conrod from the engine  a couple of years back. At 73 I doubt I'll ever need them but then again you can't be to careful. :unsure:

George