Bonnet Release

Happy New Year All,

I am getting round to fitting the emergency bonnet release kit, which on here seems to be hailed as the must have option - currently there is some orange bailer twine...

My bonnet does not have the emergency catch, no idea why. With the bonnet opening from the window upwards, should I fit one? or is this something folk do - taking it off.

The bonnet release cable is a bit tired looking - recommendations for a replacement? I use TRGB usually.

Thanks.

Yes. Mine was missing and I ignored it, even though sometimes hitting a bump caused the bonnet catch to spring open from the initial lock position- the air pressure will keep the bonnet closed right? 

Well, I had an emergency braking  situation when the  throttle linkage jammed fully open and I had to switch off the engine and brake hard with the catch unlocked..

At a point during the braking the inertial  forces on the bonnet overcame the air pressure force and the bonnet was flung open. Once it starts to open in this situation it flings to fully open. Fortunately I was on a freeway and could see enough around  the side of the bonnet to bring the car to a halt on the verge.

After that I fitted a replacement bonnet lock with the spring loaded emergency catch. And I put in a fair bit of effort to get it correctly adjusted.

Edited by Mike C

Hi Rob,

the fitting of the safety latch  item #2 HERE  needs to be precise.  If it is out of alignment the bonnet may close forever :o

My method - mount the latch in apprx  position.  Smear abutment ring with grease.

Cover the hole in the catch plate with masking tape.

Gent;y lower the bonnet onto the plate -DO NOT PUSH SHUT

Lift bonnet and note the tell tale impression of the grease.  Compare this with the hole in the plate.

It needs to be concentric.

Tighten latch in position.

NOTE - also, that the emergency pull will not release the bonnet if out of alignment.

Roger

My TR4A never had one and the bonnet never opened itself since 14 years.

The TÜV never noticed it and I decided to let it this way. 
Because with it - in the case of an fire on the carbs - it will be impossible to open the bonnet and delete the fire.

32 minutes ago, Z320 said:

My TR4A never had one and the bonnet never opened itself since 14 years.

The TÜV never noticed it and I decided to let it this way. 
Because with it - in the case of an fire on the carbs - it will be impossible to open the bonnet and delete the fire.

The mechanic at our village garage has a badly scared face caused by opening the bonnet of a car to put out a fire. He considers himself lucky to still have his eye sight! Let it burn and phone the insurance.

I have had a bonnet latch let go when I hit a big pothole, the bonnet will be sucked up about 30cmby the air flowing up the screen if you are doing about 50mph the secondary catch is in my opinion useful 

George 

Depends on the fire and the circumstances.

I remember a rallye some time ago, an Alvis special directly behind of us started to burn.

It was possible to open both bonnet flaps, delete the fire - and with spare parts it was on the road again the same afternoon.

Better than to let it burn down?

With a car accident in my TR with 50 mph I‘m convinced I‘m dead.

Edited by Z320
On 1/4/2023 at 10:06 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Rob,

the fitting of the safety latch  item #2 HERE  needs to be precise.  If it is out of alignment the bonnet may close forever :o

My method - mount the latch in apprx  position.  Smear abutment ring with grease.

Cover the hole in the catch plate with masking tape.

Gent;y lower the bonnet onto the plate -DO NOT PUSH SHUT

Lift bonnet and note the tell tale impression of the grease.  Compare this with the hole in the plate.

It needs to be concentric.

Tighten latch in position.

NOTE - also, that the emergency pull will not release the bonnet if out of alignment.

Roger

Thank you Roger,

The part has arrived - am planning on fitting in the next couple of days.

Cheers, Rob.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:06 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Rob,

Roger

FYI - I've just been onto Moss and ordered an emergency latch but they're on backorder at present.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well as ever, I have only just got round to fitting - all good... except...

I have never fitted one of these - any advice on how to correctly set the plunger length? I have just done it as an eyeball vs the one I took off - who knows if that was correct?

It does close and spring up nicely when the release is pulled - so does that mean it is correct??

22 minutes ago, RobRennie said:

Hi All,

Well as ever, I have only just got round to fitting - all good... except...

I have never fitted one of these - any advice on how to correctly set the plunger length? I have just done it as an eyeball vs the one I took off - who knows if that was correct?

It does close and spring up nicely when the release is pulled - so does that mean it is correct??

As long as the bonnet line is correct with the scuttle/wings and it doesnt spring open when going over rough ground then yes.

Stuart.

Glad you've got it working. I fitted an aftermarket catch with a spring that was far too strong- occasionally a bump would send it springing open like a rat trap. I had to cut a few coils off the spring - enough to ensure it opens when released but not at a furious pace.

A lesson I learned in many years of Kart racing, Cycling, and Cars, is that wire Cables should be replaced fairly often! Also 'Always' add a 'Solderless Nipple' after the pinch nut on any cable! On a Kart it'll prevent you losing the race...on a Bicycle it'll save you from brake failure...and on your TR from not being able to open your Engine Cover! Been there done all the above!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, I have finally fitted the bonnet release cable and thought I should share what I did as I had asked for help.

Firstly, I could only find a T Bar release cable, so had to twist it through 90 degs so it would fit into holder bracket - I would prefer a knob type.

I fitted the cable clamp (solder less nipple) from a heater cable I had as a backup. And then to add to that I flowed solder into that nipple to give a final level of redundancy. - Of course I am still at risk from the cable shroud clip or the cable clamp breaking off - but as I cannot fit the standard emergency release I will make do with what I have done.

For a future project - I may see if I can make use of the cable and lever that is on my car for the scuttle vent (no longer used) - but that's for another day.

Thank you all again for the tips.

Am I right in saying that the safety catch was not fitted to the 4A. Mine has never had one. Can't see how to retrofit the TR6 one without buying the whole plunger assembly. Also where does the hook of the safety catch hook on to? Can someone post a photo or pm me with how I might fit one to a 4A. Having got the plunger assembly to work perfectly with just light pressure on the bonnet release catch I am reluctant to replace it.

Keith

Hi Keith,

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600302?selectedcurrency=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAutyfBhCMARIsAMgcRJTVEBJ6fspuU0X5UtIPR34YXh71QzEimksmMBdknuBQJyBXN5lViiAaAlb5EALw_wcB

If you look at item 6, you can see a loop on left hand side of the plate.

If you look at item 2, you can see the hook that attaches onto that loop

Hope this helps - hoping this is better than a naff photo of mine!

Hi all, just reading all the helpful views about fitting an emergency bonnet release…I have the issue it perhaps is resolving. My bonnet is stuck closed.

I felt a little smug when I saw that a previous owner had fitted a secondary cable- which runs down the driver’s side wing inside the bonnet. However now the bonnet is stuck, how do I reach the cable?

i have had the car up on axel stands, and there is not the room to get my arm into the engine bay, or the cable is just too far away. I thought I had a genius idea of removing the headlamp, but that exits into the wheel arch…

i am getting a little desperate, and considering I may need to drill a hole through the inside of the wheel arch big enough that I can get something through to fish the cable release.

I am hoping that someone can offer me a less drastic solution?

IMG_1987-edited.jpg

Not really clear from the photo where the emergency release goes, but let’s assume it’s not accessible (D’oh!). My experience is that you can pry up the passenger’s side of the bonnet enough to push the catch open. Important caveats: pry up with something plastic or wood, and use the same material (I used a bamboo gardening thing) to push. Otherwise you will scratch the paintwork or start a fire.

John

3 hours ago, Matt1 said:

Hi all, just reading all the helpful views about fitting an emergency bonnet release…I have the issue it perhaps is resolving. My bonnet is stuck closed.

I felt a little smug when I saw that a previous owner had fitted a secondary cable- which runs down the driver’s side wing inside the bonnet. However now the bonnet is stuck, how do I reach the cable?

i have had the car up on axel stands, and there is not the room to get my arm into the engine bay, or the cable is just too far away. I thought I had a genius idea of removing the headlamp, but that exits into the wheel arch…

i am getting a little desperate, and considering I may need to drill a hole through the inside of the wheel arch big enough that I can get something through to fish the cable release.

I am hoping that someone can offer me a less drastic solution?

IMG_1987-edited.jpg

Matt - wedge the main bonnet release cable fully open by clamping as many clothes pegs as you can over the exposed bit and then find a really bumpy road, preferably with speed bumps, and drive around - hopefully it will suddenly pop up. If the car isn't driveable, try jacking up a different corner at a time to "twist" the chassis/shell and then try and drop it down, with care for you and the car!

If your emergency release cable is steel wire, try fishing around with a telescopic magnet to either catch it or move it to a more accessible place -- and good luck

Cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread

Thank you both. I did get close. In fact I have a endoscope camera that I could attach to the end of a bamboo cane.

it seemed that I was in the right place. I did achieve one clunk and the bonnet does seem to be raised slightly especially the drivers side.

I also finally managed to access the emergency cable, but even with tugging that and pushing the bamboo cane, I achieved no more.

i will try the jacking corners next to see if I can release it. Unfortunately driving is off the menu as I have either knocked off one of the battery terminal connectors or broken an in-line fuse that a previous owner fitted to the positive connector…

I read somewhere that people were accessing it through the bulkhead behind the dashboard but again this is seeming extreme…