Potterton kingfisher mf

Brilliant news Richard.

I know the heat is welcome, but that sense of achievement is great as well.

PLUS…

The board probably cost you less than the call out charge of a plumber.

Now no excuse to not wash the dishes on Christmas day.

(But we will never know where that 245 volts came from on the purple leads.)

Charlie

8 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

(But we will never know where that 245 volts came from on the purple leads.)

As I said above Charlie, that was measured off-load. The meter only draws microamps so even a very poor connection will register full voltage. What the test doesn't tell you is whether it can deliver enough current to drive the motor.  I bet if you had made that measurement with the motor connected, there wouldn't have been many volts to see.

3 hours ago, RobH said:

...As I said above Charlie, that was measured off-load...

Hmmmm…….
Well……
Yes…
Maybe.

I suppose that is possible. But the problem with you university-educated kids is that you always feel the need to come up with some scientific answer.

Had you not noticed that when Richard first mentioned his problem that he came from Dunstable?

It is well known that the town of Dunstable is based around a mystical crossroads.
(Well, whenever I tried to drive through that crossroads there was some sort of alien force that stopped all traffic moving in any direction.)

Plus, if you remove the letter “D” from “Dunstable” you get the word “Unstable.”

I, myself, personally, think that the 245 volts were put on the purple wires by Gremlins. (AKA Gibilygorns or Hobgoblins.)

I guess the lesson learnt is, ” Don’t just trust a ‘Volt-stick,’ don’t trust a multimeter either”

(Jeezzz… we just got Richard’s  hopes up that he had learnt how to use a multimeter --- and we have now blown it all away .)

Charlie

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

I think it was an AC capacitor holding the 240 Volts from when the PCB was last working  :ph34r:

Yet again. Total bolex.

"Gibilygorns or Hobgoblins." is the answer.

You can mess with capacitors to your hearts content.

(But best keep away from  capacitors if they hold 240volts (or more).

11 hours ago, Lebro said:

I think it was an AC capacitor holding the 240 Volts from when the PCB was last working  :ph34r:

Crikey I hope not capacitors scare me I heard a story about a guy killing himself by sticking his fingers in a microwave and touching one of those things. And he was a qualified electrician 

240v? Kids stuff.

Back in the day I was responsible for one machine with capacitor banks charged to 30 kilovolts and storing >100 kilojoules of energy.  It was part of a Marx generator which developed in excess of a megavolt when triggered. You certainly treated that with due respect. 

The capacitors on your boiler PCB would be too small to do much damage - just a bit of a nip probably. 

As an apprentice in the Electronics lab in 1957, we were taught to use only one hand when touching anything inside electronic equipment because High Tension often meant over 300V D.C..  And, yes, some jokers would charge a capacitor to such a level and put it into another's pocket - not very friendly.

Later, when installing and commissioning instrumentation & control equipment at Kingsnorth Power Station, we had an electrician called Lloyd who had such dry skin that he could grab hold of live 240V A.C. or 119V D.C. and tell whether it was live and which type.  Extraordinary - and quite useful in his work.

Ian Cornish

It's cruel, the jokes we played on one another.  Certain pen recorders used carbon impregnated paper as the recording medium (Teledeltos - you can still buy it) . You took a strip of that paper, placed it between the live and neutral pins of a mains plug and plugged it in with the socket switched off......   When the victim switched it on there would be an amusing amount of flame and smoke from the plug.   

Edited by RobH

Rob - I recall those recorders, but this trick is something new to me.  Wicked!

Then there's the trick of sending the apprentice to the store to fetch a glass hammer.  More like that, but I've forgotten them.

Ian Cornish