tr3a spare wheel apature.

When I bought my 3A the seller said the spare wheel was a tight fit in the apature hense he had a a safety belt tied to it to tug it out. I have had 165 80 15 tyre fit a there is no way the wheel (wire) will go into the spare wheel apature. Has any one else had this problem?

Hi Phil

I can only get a 165 tyre in the spare wheel store if it is mounted on a 48 spoke 4 inch wheel. My road wheels are I think 60 spoke 41/2 inch, one of these will just go in (with a strap) but only if it is flat, which of course it will be if I need to use the spare.

George 

21 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

When I bought my 3A the seller said the spare wheel was a tight fit in the apature hense he had a a safety belt tied to it to tug it out. I have had 165 80 15 tyre fit a there is no way the wheel (wire) will go into the spare wheel apature. Has any one else had this problem?

Yes

Later 3A have a boot floor with a raised section to clear the larger tyre and wheel. (Maybe) 

My friend put a jack in there and made the floor a bit higher to accept his 165 tyres.

Thanks for that.

I can never fathom this forum. I put in a seach using variouse different words/scentences and it came up with everything except what I wanted. I put the same terms in Google and it identifies severel post on the register about the topic.  Not least it appears a 4" wheeel with a 155 tyre is the answer. Why does the forum search function not work????

23 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

Thanks for that.

I can never fathom this forum. I put in a seach using variouse different words/scentences and it came up with everything except what I wanted. I put the same terms in Google and it identifies severel post on the register about the topic.  Not least it appears a 4" wheeel with a 155 tyre is the answer. Why does the forum search function not work????

Don`t know, but it never has worked.

I have a new 165 tyre on a 4.5 inch wire wheel and it will only fit deflated. My car is post 60000 with the raised section too. I carry the spare around with an electric pump nestled in the wheel in case it is needed. However I have a bigger problem in that the car has 185/70s on  TR6 72 spoke wires, which I think are 5 inch, so if I ever get a flat the wheel will have to join me in the car somewhere.

Ralph

11 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Phil

this is what my friend Tom  did. He modified the boot floor.

Roger

DSCF1366 (1)a.jpg

DSCF1367 (1)a.jpg

DSCF1365 (1)a.jpg

Is that fireman49 toms car ?

that’s a good modification.

he did a clever hinge mod  on the front apron too. 

Edited by Hamish
2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Don`t know, but it never has worked.

I have a new 165 tyre on a 4.5 inch wire wheel and it will only fit deflated. My car is post 60000 with the raised section too. I carry the spare around with an electric pump nestled in the wheel in case it is needed. However I have a bigger problem in that the car has 185/70s on  TR6 72 spoke wires, which I think are 5 inch, so if I ever get a flat the wheel will have to join me in the car somewhere.

Ralph

As I too have TR6 5 1/2” rim wheels, I have a boot rack and a length of rope for that very occasion.   

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

Is that fireman49 toms car ?

that’s a good modification.

he did a clever hinge mod  on the front apron too. 

Yup, miss you on here Tom…. Hope you are doing well?!….. Get yourself back on here…

.. it will be good to tell you……."That’s Not concours" :P

20 hours ago, Phil Read said:

Thanks for that.

+1

Roy

Hi Phil,

the search function does work but is not as sophisticated compared to the likes of Google.

When  you put keywords in the search box it will return answers  for EACH word, not the complete sentence.

EG - if you asked for 'Black paint on door handle'  not only will you get a response for the only post regarding the black door handle,  but

anything with handle, door, paint, black - you then have to plough through them.

The major problem is that the OP didn't have a concise title.

Google would come up trumps in a couple of hits

Roger

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

EG - if you asked for 'Black paint on door handle'  not only will you get a response for the only post regarding the black door handle,  but anything with handle, door, paint, black - you then have to plough through them.

It's not supposed to do that if you tick the box for "all of my search term words" instead of the one which says "any.........."   

I have tried this, put in "TR5 alternator" and the first topic it comes up with is

"Starting a warm TR6 PI

AlexB posted a topic in TR6 Forum

Interested in people's techniques for starting their TR6PI when the engine is hot (i.e. been sat for 15 mins after a decent run) or been sat for a few hours on a hot day. I've had my car since 2013 and it's a very nice car in excellent condition. And it has the "underslung" throttle conversion fro"...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll skip the forum search part and comment on tyres (tires). I've been driving for more than 60 years and I recall only 2 occasions when I changed a tire on the road. Even if I've forgotten some, suffice to say those were rare occurrences, and due to neglect on my part for failing to monitor pressures and driving with tires that had outlived their usefulness. I can think of no tire changes on the road in the last 30 years. So do I even need a spare? Of course the spare is part of the character of the car with its leather strap and all.

But for practical purposes we have the bicycle pump or the electric electric version, cans of "fix a flat" and the cell phone. And I don't know of many places or roads here in America where one could safely change a tire.

Foe esthetic purposes, put a tire without a rim in that compartment. Otherwise put your rag top in there with a decent tool kit. Too bad the sidescreens wont fit.

Tom

11 minutes ago, TomMull said:

I can think of no tire changes on the road in the last 30 years. So do I even need a spare?

You are lucky Tom. I've had four punctures over the past ten years, all from screws/nails dropped by someone. The builders and handymen here seem to distribute them liberally.

2 hours ago, RobH said:

You are lucky Tom. I've had four punctures over the past ten years, all from screws/nails dropped by someone. The builders and handymen here seem to distribute them liberally.

Rob,

Just to clarify; I didn't say I had no tire repair. I built a house and a garage on my land and have an abundance of nails and screws in my gravel driveway. The difference is that those punctures created slow leaks, all detected by visual inspection or pressure checks. None required the spare, which I should have said initially. All were repaired with a plug and none required a change with the spare. I do admit that I have tubeless tires on the TR3 and it might be different if you still have tubes.

Tom

19 hours ago, TomMull said:

Rob,

Just to clarify; I didn't say I had no tire repair. I built a house and a garage on my land and have an abundance of nails and screws in my gravel driveway. The difference is that those punctures created slow leaks, all detected by visual inspection or pressure checks. None required the spare, which I should have said initially. All were repaired with a plug and none required a change with the spare. I do admit that I have tubeless tires on the TR3 and it might be different if you still have tubes.

Tom

Can't do this with tubed tyres.