Window Channel Insert

John,

I used Velcro.

The new repro items were pretty useless. Select a thicker grade, to minimise sideward clearance).

Waldi

I use channel guides from wollies trim for a proper job. 

I purchased new guides lined with a kind of felt/tar type adhesive and used the old brackets. Bit of a project electro plating everything and finding the right rivets but they looked the part almost too good to hide away!

So far they seem to be a very tight fit to the glass which winds up and down well.

Andy

IMG_0108.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 8:18 PM, PodOne said:

I purchased new guides lined with a kind of felt/tar type adhesive and used the old brackets. Bit of a project electro plating everything and finding the right rivets but they looked the part almost too good to hide away!

So far they seem to be a very tight fit to the glass which winds up and down well.

Andy

IMG_0108.jpeg

Andy did you have an electro plating kit?

John.

Great Job as usual Andy.....as you say , shame they have to be hidden away, but at least you know that you have done yourself proud.

Conrad.

Hi John

Bought a basic kit off e bay and used my 20v regulated power supply rather than a car battery as it was easier to control the process. Fun to do just needs time to experiment after which I did batches of parts. Suggest buying better anodes and using a small cheap aquarium air pump and air stone to agitate the electrolyte. Strain the electrolyte after each batch to stop particles sticking to the parts. The brightening agent (forgot name) was the only chemical I needed to top up.

Give it a go!

Thanks Conrad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 5:18 AM, PodOne said:

I purchased new guides

Hi Andy,

Where did you get the guides from?

John

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hi Andy,

Where did you get the guides from?

John

They used to be available from TRF in the States as they were having them made but Im not sure if they still do them.

Stuart.

Hi John

Surprisingly I got them from Rimmers "Channel - Felt Glass Channel - 850430F" and for once they fit ok. From memory I screwed the brackets to a board so I could get the same alignment then drilled out the rivets, cut the channels to length as from memory they are longer than the originals. The hardest bit was fitting the new rivets as you can't get a pop rivet gun/nose in channel as the rivet needs to be flush to allow the glass to pass. Used solid steel rivets held in the channel with a length of angle iron while I peened them over with impact drill and concave punch to hold the brackets in place.    

Andy

Moss are currently showing left and right hand front slides as being available so a trawl round the rest of the usual suspects may yield the rear ones.

Stuart.