When you have 90 minutes...

John provides the number needed to assess the mass of the 'chinese' car-sized objest appearing over USA.  If a car has a volume of 10 m^3 then hydrogen mass in it (at sea level) is 900g.  Compared with air density at sea level 1225 g/m^3, giving the mass of air displaced by the object as 12250-900 = 11.35kg. This would be the lift available at sea level for the gas alone, without anything to contain it. At 40,000 feet the air density is 4000g/m^3, roughly one third of sea level value. So the lift available to a hydrogen-filled car size object is only ca. 4kg. That has to provide for the gas envelope and the pay load. It is not a lot to threaten the USA, unless the idea is to deliver something really nasty....

More puzzling is how one got as far as Lake Huron without radar detection, if it originated in China or , for that matter, anywhere outside US+Canada territory.

Peter

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that these balloons have been used for some time, and that  the Americans have known of them. They are just information gathering, not hostile action, and knowing of them is useful in itself.

But apart from activating the UFO fruitloops, that they have become public knowledge and the perceived inaction on the one that got as far as the Atlantic, has meant that even a moderate, Democratic President has to take dramatic action.  So four are shot down in a week.

In WW2, Japan sent balloons with explosive payloads across the Pacific.  Sad to say, one killed the group  of children that found the landed bomb, but there is no evidence or likelihood  that the Chinese would do this today. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu-Go_balloon_bomb

John

47 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

image.png.333d6dd2ab5ff675ef0be7b12fcfd135.png

One of my fave songs when I was a Cold War warrior.

(The German language original has way better lyrics than the later English version.)

Nigel

Definitely the German version, great tune.

Stuart.

56 minutes ago, stuart said:

Definitely the German version, great tune.

Stuart.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoIO5lfJ9dhs&h=AT2Mi77c5kZkUgyIJ_xaoguHD-Oe_ypK_xDjeHt9r3nSMZDw0HWR66-UHTos92OFzicWNtDwTQe5Pv8ju60OEe6AfAcudWOyIvxIrejkbxykXwnfb7zKSwtXWTt5-LtilwRkeo2v9HkzziAqkGwZhQ&s=1

With English sub titles for those who don’t understand Deutch.

Hope this is viewable to all, great music.

Re: the long history of Chinese balloon overflights of the US:   This week's New Scientist includes (11/2/23, Page 9) a  short piece on them, saying "US officials say that similar balloons flew over the US at least three times during Donald Trump's presidency, and once earlier in Joe Biden's ...  it is the first time details have been  made public."

The main thing that 99 Red Balloons singer Nena is remembered for is the fact that she showed off her hairy armpits before they became fashionable in Britain.

(And if you think I’m making that up then do a Google search.)

Charlie.

36 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

The main thing that 99 Red Balloons singer Nena is remembered for is the fact that she showed off her hairy armpits before they became fashionable in Britain.

Charlie.

Eighties/Germans, it was fashionable.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Eighties/Germans, it was fashionable.

Stuart.

I wondered when one of you would remember that.:wub:

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Charlie.

I wondered when somebody would remember that.:wub:

4 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Charlie.

Did she have bright red hair?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antônio_Vilas-Boas

Which brings us back on topic.

Peter

Peter said: Did she have bright red hair? 

I remember once hearing a surgeon on Radio 4 (so it must be true) talking about having to remove the appendix from a 20 something person.

He said that their pubic hair was dyed green and above, just below their navel, was a tattoo that read:

“KEEP OFF THE GRASS”

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
  • 2 weeks later...

Florence 1954: thousands watch flying saucers at a football match. A white fibrous substance fell from the sky and covered roofs etc. In the hand it evaporated. A chemistry prof made an analysis of its elements:  Boron, silicon, calcium, magnesium. This "angel hair" has been reported at other UFO events.  The interview was made in 2003 with a journalist who witnessed the event in 1954.

Canada launches a 2 year investigation into UAPs. Doubtless most reports will have mundane causes. There may be a few genuine UAPs over that very short period: too few to reach an understanding.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/official-ufo-study-launched-in-canada-here-s-what-it-hopes-to-achieve-1.6293124

I am reading Dr Michael Master's 2022 book "The Extratempestrial Model". It is an excellent analysis of time anomalies described in 15 abduction case studies (and beyond) that support the concept of UFOs being our descendants' craft, visiting from the future. And not ET. The author is a anthropologist and his biological perspective chimes with my own biology background. It is a very thorough work with 400+ references as befits his academic standpoint. It is also very readable. Highly recommended !

Enjoy!  

Peter

"Extratempestrial"?     That's a mangled word!

Google only finds it related to UFO sightings, their occupants and their presumed travel through time to get her, so I suppose it's a neologism for "Extra -temporal", out of time, coupled with some idea that they had stormy passage?

Conflation of 'temporal' with 'terrestrial' probably.  Awful because the result is a nonsense, as you point out. 

uf.jpg.4efb8c03a0b7ac9d81616e45ee9e8ac6.jpg

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

"Extratempestrial"?     That's a mangled word!

Google only finds it related to UFO sightings, their occupants and their presumed travel through time to get her, so I suppose it's a neologism for "Extra -temporal", out of time, coupled with some idea that they had stormy passage?

Yes, he has devised a new word by adding the tempus root to replace terra  in extraterrestrial. The intention is to emphasise that ".....they are us, following many millenia of continued evolutionary change in our culture and biology"

The concept of UFOs being extraterrestrial goes back many decades and has become accepted unquestioningly, so this relatively new time traveller idea deserves a newly minted name. He is  far from alone in promoting the time traveller concept - Chapter 1 summarises the literature prior to 2021.

My own opinion ( at present ) is that they could be juxtatempestrials, evolving in a juxta-posed time domain in parallel with our evolution. That avoids backwards time travel, but requires another time dimension.  There is observational evidence for anomalous time-flow in many paranormal fields, some of which are more amenable to study 'on the bench' than are ufos and their occupants.  Exciting times....:ph34r:

Peter

16 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

The Extratempestrial!!

image.png.8c790702e924cbdfdbe25da45ea54a06.png

No, they dont look like that. More like this, and arouund 3-4 feet tall. This book prompted 10,000 people to write to the author desrcibing their own experience with these 'grays'. The letters are archived in Rice University.

image.png.b127cf1a344bd6085ea693ba25640b41.png

However the dome of the head is much more pronounced in abductees' reports.

Peter

As you know, my interest in the paranormal is focused upon 'time', especially anomalous time flows. I am slowly writing a paper:

"'Lectime': Local Expanded or Compacted Time. A testable new form of time observed in paranormal phenomena."

Normally scientists dont let on what they are up to until after publication, but today I let the cat out of the bag to test the response of physicists. It will be interesting to see if anyone rises to the challenge. My ideas are in my comments to these two articles on the academics' sounding board;

https://theconversation.com/great-mysteries-of-physics-2-is-the-universe-fine-tuned-for-life-201720

https://theconversation.com/the-multiverse-our-universe-is-suspiciously-unlikely-to-exist-unless-it-is-one-of-many-200585

I realised only today that anomalous time if it varies across the cosmos could explain the 'Goldilocks enigma' as described in the podcast and in Paul Davies' excellent book.

Exciting times. but I shall be  astonished if any physicist replies !!

Peter

Wasn't the last word on time said by Einstein?

“When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute — and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.”

John