After reading Mike Jennings article, I have ordered a new earth connector for my Positive battery terminal. I am planning to use s/s fixings. Is this OK ? Is it useful to add a second connection between the body and the lifting eye on the engine as well as the existing connection from the chassis to the coil mounting on the engine.

Thanks

Stainless fasteners should be fine Richard.  A second earth link is not strictly necessary but is a useful addition as belt-and-braces. 

(not quite sure what you have now - the braid is usually to the engine front plate above the engine mount) 

This is a mystery area for me.

I have a memory of college 50 years ago that resistors in parallel have the same voltage across them. 

Is a bad connection at one end of an earth cable described as a resistor?

What about parallel resistors?

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/res_4.html

If you have a cable connection with a resistance and you add another in parallel with less resistance what happens?

I have checked for a voltage drop as described in the TR Action article and found an excessive one. (earth) Cleaning and scraping the cable connection to the bulkhead got the drop to an acceptable figure.  I also checked the drop through the starter solenoid and thankfully that was at an acceptable level without any cleaning. (line)

Peter W

28 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What about parallel resistors?

Simple Peter. Like water, electricity always takes the easiest route. If you have two equal value resistors the current will be shared equally between them. If one is lower value than the other, more current will flow through it. The current is shared out in inverse proportion to the resistance values. 

To paraphrase George Orwell  - All cables and connections are resistive, but some are more resistive than others. 

21 minutes ago, RobH said:

Simple Peter. Like water, electricity always takes the easiest route. If you have two equal value resistors the current will be shared equally between them. If one is lower value than the other, more current will flow through it. The current is shared out in inverse proportion to the resistance values. 

To paraphrase George Orwell  - All cables and connections are resistive, but some are more resistive than others. 

Thank you.   

The advantage of a second route is that if one should fail completely, then the other - even if of slightly higher resistance - should afford a path for the little electrons!

Belt and braces, really.

Ian Cornish

And if I may, the way I was taught was not to rely on the thread of a fixing bolt to make a good connection.     Use the largest ring terminal thr cable will take, abrade its surface, and the surface it wull bear on, removing all paint.  Abrade that surface too.   Clamp together with the fastener, protect with grease or vaseline.

That's why I put a lead washer between the earth tag and the bare metal of the body.  Stops corrosion and provides a good connection.  But my supplementary earth is a length of left over battery cable that goes directly from a gearbox bolt to the negative terminal on the battery, since it is really there to make sure the starter motor and alternator have a good earth.

Rgds Ian

I'm about to add an isolation switch to my TR3, I'm going to fit it on the blanking plate which covers where the brake / clutch MC box would be for LHD cars.

It will be accessible from inside under the glove box, & it has a removable key. I will be wiring it into the live battery feed, not the earth, because I need one item to be permanently powered, & get it's earth return through the body.  As this involves some changes to the battery wiring, I will probably add a direct link from Batt -ve to the bell housing while I am at it.

The type of switch I have chosen has additional contacts which can be used to isolate the ignition circuit when the battery is isolated, this prevents the engine running purely from the alternator / dynamo output.

Will post photos when done.

Bob.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:22 PM, Lebro said:

I'm about to add an isolation switch to my TR3, I'm going to fit it on the blanking plate which covers where the brake / clutch MC box would be for LHD cars.

It will be accessible from inside under the glove box, & it has a removable key. I will be wiring it into the live battery feed, not the earth, because I need one item to be permanently powered, & get it's earth return through the body.  As this involves some changes to the battery wiring, I will probably add a direct link from Batt -ve to the bell housing while I am at it.

The type of switch I have chosen has additional contacts which can be used to isolate the ignition circuit when the battery is isolated, this prevents the engine running purely from the alternator / dynamo output.

Will post photos when done.

Bob.

Ok, well I have now fitted it, I know it's fairly usual to isolate the earth end as the wiring is easier, but as I wanted to keep volts on one particular item, in the end I decided to switch the live (+ve in my case) side. In order to make my life a bit easier, I swapped batteries with another one I had which has the terminals the other way round. I removed the brake / clutch M/C blanking plate, & drilled it to take the new switch, then refitted, then spent all this afternoon wiring it all up.

The white wire normally going to the coil, was rerouted to the extra switch contacts on the new switch, then a new white wire was run from the switch down to the coil. this disconnects the coil when the main switch is off, thus stopping the engine straight away.

A new heavy cable was run from the starter solenoid along in front of the battery to the switch, and the existing +ve battery cable (now on the nearside) also connected to the switch. Cable runs were held down with some plastic "P" clips, & job done. The switch is accessible from inside, just under the glove box, & is pretty easy to reach, the red key can be left in place when off, or can be removed completely.

20210304_165617.thumb.jpg.fd77ab8acf8804d8c629fc3b6a3bbabb.jpg                       20210304_165525.thumb.jpg.005760e8e5c22b9ae3809b12f0cb6bba.jpg                 20210304_170926.thumb.jpg.11b4026fe36305452ccf13daa5b7152c.jpg

20210304_165508.thumb.jpg.824cbfb10d6b12fb6f6ef639e9fa5f9f.jpg               20210304_165534.thumb.jpg.4344136028f28ce571a16362cf93f84e.jpg              20210304_165500.thumb.jpg.25cd96721c6cdc1d61494c2102c90d32.jpg

This is the switch I used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIA-Type-Battery-Ignition-Master-Isolator-Cut-Off-Kill-Switch-Road-Race-Rally/323093252092?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

I just used the finger tip off some latex gloves I used to use when working on the car.  Just to keep random crud out. 

I agree with Hamish - not just dirt, but moisture, too. 

Some 50 years ago I found a piece of small diameter rubber tube with a sealed end, and that's been sitting atop my spare coil ever since.  No idea where I found it.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

OK, I will see to it today.

Bob

Don’t feel pressured into it Bob

risk is prob minimal. 

Edited by Hamish
  • 2 months later...

I'm about to fit an isolator switch in a similar fashion to that done by Bob above. The main difference is that the '2' is still Positive earth and so I'll be sourcing new insulated cables to run from the positive battery post to the switch, and from the switch to the body connection where the existing braid is currently attached. Looking on line there appears to be a wide range of cable amp rating to choose from. What would the rating need to be?

It's only a very short run so 25mm^2 will be fine.   That is called '170 Amp' but is fine for a good bit more in a short run for short bursts. Current rating of cable is based on how hot it will get from the voltage drop, which depends on length and how it is enclosed.