Unimportant Question

Hi All

Flippin Eck, the things this lock down is making us think of, so unimportant but curious.

Did the TR6 come with any tools?

I'm assuming the obvs like a jack and wheelbrace.

But when i got mine errr, a real long while ago, it came with this. Anything original about it or did my PO just stuff anything in the boot.

Cheers Keith

Tools.jpg

Hi Stuart

Thought that was likely.

Of course i'm going to put together a wheel well kit of tools and bits but just wondering did they come with any kind of tool kit and what was it like, just out of interest.

Cheers  Keith

When I had BUO 1st time round it did have the original tool kit. The tool roll looks right as is the plug spanner but not sure about the 'tommy' bar, thought the one I had a hub cap remover end even though you didn't need one ! it was the same bar in the Triumph Herald tool kit. 

• 2 years later...

Nice open enders with original bright plating. I’ve not seen that tommy bar apart from in the picture below but based on that I reckon that it’s all original. 
Here’s my TR3 kit.

By the way “Unimportant Question”?

Not in the eyes of the admittedly very small membership of the Devon Group “TR Tool Geeks” WhatsApp Group :lol:

CE05BD5F-B113-4111-999B-5BA1E9622A8F.jpeg

3459184E-F9A4-4FEF-BA7B-3383823FEF06.jpeg

Edited by Drewmotty

Hi Keith

What you have is absolutely correct, its not complete but it is correct. The 3 Superslim spanners are spot on as is the tommy bar and plug socket. You will need a 4 1/4" King Dick adjustable, a pair of original pliers, an L shaped tool for removal of the headlight rims and a small Lucas points/spark plug setting tool and you're pretty much there. If yours is a very early TR6 or a TR5 then you will also need a Rostyle wheeltrim removal tool as well.

The plastic tool roll with the "shoe lace" tie is 100% correct also.

Alan G

Good post, as it’s prompted me to ask - what’s an ideal set of tools to carry round in the boot for essential “get you back on the road again” peace of mind.

Any consumables etc also worth including in there as well would be gratefully received.

On 4/9/2020 at 7:18 PM, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Flippin Eck, the things this lock down is making us think of, so unimportant but curious.

Did the TR6 come with any tools?

I'm assuming the obvs like a jack and wheelbrace.

But when i got mine errr, a real long while ago, it came with this. Anything original about it or did my PO just stuff anything in the boot.

Cheers Keith

Tools.jpg

That is part of the original tool kit that was supplied with the car. The small bits are missing for example like the points adjuster, I would have to look at mine to see what else.

Bruce.

14 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Good post, as it’s prompted me to ask - what’s an ideal set of tools to carry round in the boot for essential “get you back on the road again” peace of mind.

Any consumables etc also worth including in there as well would be gratefully received.

I use the same tools in the garage (actually a polytunnel) as I carry in (a plastic ex-power-tool case) the car. Aside from the car's scissor jack - if I don't use a tool in the garage then there's no point in my carrying it in the car.  I use 1/4" and 3/8" sockets most of the time in the garage, and these are tools I'm used to using, so I don't bother with box spanners and tommy bars in the tool kit.  I don't carry 1/2" sockets or the larger size of spanner, which are used for dismantling of heavy parts. On the roadside I'm unlikely to use those.  I almost never use the original side-jaw type adjustable spanner but I do carry a very good quality end-jaw adjustable spanner with me. I would never use a woodworking screwdriver (seen in previous posts) on the car, but I do carry five different sizes of straight and Phillips screwdrivers, plus the screwdriver bits which go into the 1/4" socket. The largest screwdriver and the Philips each have flats on their shafts - to facilitate the adjustable spanner for more torque.  I also carry a 1/4" open-ended-spanner so that I can use the screwdriver bit and 1/4" (reversed) for rear brake-shoe adjustment.  And then there's a multi-tool of different Allen keys. I guess feeler gauges are in the tool kit but I'd rarely use them by the roadside - my eye is accurate enough to get things running.  I do however carry off-cuts of emery paper - primarily used to clean spark plugs of my vintage motorcycle.    

I have a dedicated electrical tool box at home but I carry a long but very small screwdriver, a pair of long nose pliers and a pair of good mechanical pliers, a roll of gaffer tape, a small bunch of cable ties, and some insulating tape, and a length of spare wire. I also carry my multi-meter and a length of wire with a crocodile clip on either end - These will cover most eventualities. I have a felt pen and a pencil in the tool kit.  I do not carry a grease gun with the car, because they are messy in summer heat, relatively heavy and bulky, and unless I'm touring for months-on-end (never) it's a tool for maintenance rather than emergency repair. I used to carry a tiny pot of grease to smear over things, but no longer bother. If i need a spot of lubricant I use the engine's dip stick. I carry just a couple of spare 1-1/2" long x 1/4" bolts with washers and nuts as they take up no space at all. I've just bought one of those £3 concertina silicon-rubber funnels, which I've slipped down the side of the spare wheel well.  If I don't use it then it'll be discarded.  

Separately in the spare-wheel-well, because of its length (wrapped in old socks to prevent rattling and chafe) I carry a 14" long handle (with an articulated 1/2" drive) and the 7/8" socket ..appropriate to my car's wheel nuts.  I also carry small metal shears and a pair of scissors, a winding of toilet paper (in a plastic bag), and old 1" paint brush and an old plastic handled wood chisel (for prising or as a scraper). I carry a hammer, and a useful hooked point (which I think came from my mother's sewing kit), also a few metres of 2mm strong twine. There's also the blade from a hacksaw and anonther from a craft knife. In the boot is 2-litres of filtered water + a bottle of drinking water, hydraulic fluid, and a litre of engine oil, and plenty of rags. I only carry spare fuel when going further afield. I also carry the LED head torch from a beanie-hat and another torch, aside from that on my mobile phone. I carry a small bottle of suntan lotion, a little hand cleaner, and of course the mobile phone and a credit card !

Bottom line, what I carry is all common-sense useful, and each is very familiar. There is not a box-set of anything - and my tools bare little resemblance to the original :ph34r:

Pete

Edited by Bfg
23 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Nice open enders with original bright plating. I’ve not seen that tommy bar apart from in the picture below but based on that I reckon that it’s all original. 
Here’s my TR3 kit.

By the way “Unimportant Question”?

Not in the eyes of the admittedly very small membership of the Devon Group “TR Tool Geeks” WhatsApp Group :lol:

CE05BD5F-B113-4111-999B-5BA1E9622A8F.jpeg

3459184E-F9A4-4FEF-BA7B-3383823FEF06.jpeg

That TR6 toolkit belonged to Saffy my 1970 unrestored which is now in a private collection in Japan - what's not in the picture is the Stanpart feeler gauge set, pictured below for the curious and rivet counters (as I was once) walking or lurking amongst us.........:D

Cheers, Andrew

FeelerGauge.jpg.2a64e6ef9c71661f602bc146292bc51e.jpg 

Saffy.thumb.jpg.479f78050fd3f555a798d237375cab05.jpg

Hi Andrew

I seem to count more rivets than I ever used to.

One thing that is important and to carry is the contact number for your breakdown company. So many people forget. I printed mine onto an A6 card, laminated it and stuck it in the glove box.

With the pedestal jack in particular and the screw jack you are best to carry a cut length of scaffold board. On soft ground at the side of the road the foot as it is will sink into soggy soil. As CT advise in preparation for the RBRR, if you have a leaky slave cylinder for example, don’t carry a can of brake fluid because of it, but repair it. Other than that a MP charging back-up pack or live socket and spare lead. 

Kevin