Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

1 hour ago, DavidBee said:

Well done, Eli. Looks very neat. One question. Can you retain the UK number plate?

No, unfortunately not. It will be a new French number on black plates with raised silver lettering. Shame 

27 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Good stuff Eli, did the Alloy rear Firewall cause you many problems fitting it

I'm waiting for a pair of metal shears to start fitting it.

40 minutes ago, cjstoodley said:

Great little fix and great value for money. Do it, you won’t regret it.

Where can I find more info on the conversion? Thanks! 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

The 'VFF' number plate on the Green TR is a County of Merioneth (Mid Wales) number.

Tom.

Maybe early Welsh rallying?

31 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

No, unfortunately not. It will be a new French number on black plates with raised silver lettering. Shame 

I'm waiting for a pair of metal shears to start fitting it.

Where can I find more info on the conversion? Thanks! 

Look up Lebro aka Bob or just LED in here. There is even footage of post conversion and before and after photos. TR Bitz have done it but as you know it will be a while before I can see for myself, though I already know a. It will make a spectacular difference in terms of safety and b. Remember perfectly well how pathetic original set up was, not to say downright dangerous, so much for Concours originality.

1 hour ago, Fireman049 said:

The 'VFF' number plate on the Green TR is a County of Merioneth (Mid Wales) number.

Tom.

Thanks Tom. Car was imported from the US in late 80s and may not have been registered until 1995 so this number was probably an age related one given by the dvla. 

35 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Look up Lebro aka Bob or just LED in here. There is even footage of post conversion and before and after photos. TR Bitz have done it but as you know it will be a while before I can see for myself, though I already know a. It will make a spectacular difference in terms of safety and b. Remember perfectly well how pathetic original set up was, not to say downright dangerous, so much for Concours originality.

Great, thanks. Sounds like a plan! 

5 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Take your Triumph to work day! Narrowly avoided a gendarmes check point :blink:

158641766632892.jpg

1586417699642.jpg

Ha. Dog on the lookout and wearing his full harness. Must be reaaly nice. Roads empty I imagine. If you spotted them how did they not see your fab car, I wonder?

On 4/7/2020 at 9:06 PM, EliTR6 said:

1 minute ago, DavidBee said:

Ha. Dog on the lookout and wearing his full harness. Must be reaaly nice. Roads empty I imagine. If you spotted them how did they not see your fab car, I wonder?

They saw me alright but they were stopping cars headed the other way. They've reopened the market this morning so they're probably turning away people who aren't strictly local. 

Nearly better than take your triumph to work is 

take your dog to work - brill

On 3/29/2020 at 6:04 PM, EliTR6 said:

That shade of green is gorgeous. If I ever repaint mine, this is how I want it to look 

screen-shot-2017-02-08-at-22-12-56.png?1

Good luck with that. Its the colour mine was and I have given up trying to match it. Gone for Conifer/Triumph racing green 25.

Also noted the matching chassis colour on this all red one, do you think it was special order by someone who obviously loved red.

screen-shot-2017-02-08-at-22-14-11[1].png

4 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Also noted the matching chassis colour on this all red one, do you think it was special order by someone who obviously loved red.

screen-shot-2017-02-08-at-22-14-11[1].png

No factory used up whatever paint was in the gun, Ive seen green cars with blue chassis and white cars with red chassis and blue cars with white chassis, Triumph didnt waste anything as they never had any money.

Stuart.

I've got an aluminium fuel tank in my car and there is a very annoying noise coming from inside it, a light clanging. Just shaking the car is enough to make the noise. 

Could this be a loose baffle plate or maybe the fuel sender? It's got almost half a tank in it right now. 

Edited by EliTR6
4 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

It could be the fuel sender. Mine clangs when the tank is full. 

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

+1  mine does too.

Bob

Thanks. Bob, only with a full tank as well? 

I get the feeling that mine makes less noise when it's full to the brim

Now the interior is almost finished I think it's time to spend some time underneath. The old paint is peeling off so I'm going to remove what I can with a wire brush, use an anti rust primer then paint with chassis black and spray the inside of the box sections with dynax from bilt hamber. Suspension seems OK, will leave it for now. 

158669168167675.jpg

158669172630676.jpg

158669176354173.jpg

158669179919481.jpg

158669200461812.jpg

Edited by EliTR6

Eli, this first one, if you scroll two thirds doen, includes official STManuals for TR2 3 3A. Also a Tips for Maintenance booklet.

Higher up, apart from parts cattalogues, there are several tuning books, Williams, Kastner, Vizard. Below, Teri Ann site loads of tech advice for sidescreens.

TR Manuals from Paul Anderson
http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr-pdf-downloads.html

Teri anns site
http://www.tr3a.info/FAQ_heads.htm

I didn't know about her books! You live and learn. The other stuff has what you need I think. Not same as printed paper though, but better than nothing

On 4/12/2020 at 8:21 PM, DavidBee said:

I didn't know about her books! You live and learn. The other stuff has what you need I think. Not same as printed paper though, but better than nothing

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

It's a heavy tome! 

Confinement extended to May 11th here. I guess I have time to polybush the tr3 now... 

7 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

It's a heavy tome! 

Confinement extended to May 11th here. I guess I have time to polybush the tr3 now... 

It’s a racer so go for the nylon bushes. :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Confinement extended to May 11th here.

Have now added TeriAnne's link to her technical articles to Bonanza Collection.

Hi Eli,  I had a quick look through all 11 pages of this post to see where you got the seats from, I was looking at some very similar to these on ebay but from the measurements they gave they seemed too wide to fit. Just had another look and cannot now find them again.