Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

Hi Eli,

had wires, both painted and chrome for 25 years on my TR4,

went to steels last year, the freedom is quite marked,

Fit and balance anywhere, and clean in 30 secs per wheel, and maintainence free.

An old sage of the TR world told me a long time ago, 'Only good thing about wires is how they look'

and thats the truth!

One other thing I found with steels,  was a freedom I never had with wires,

I had my TR out in January this year up in the North Pennines, and in The Lakes in February,

something I would not have contemplated with chrome wires. Steels, if necessary can be refurbished at home,

Rattle can of primer and same of Wheel Silver, does two wheels, less than £10, per wheel.

Just my thoughts but have Deggers put your car on silver painted steels.

John.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

On 4/22/2020 at 9:19 PM, EliTR6 said:

My partner was very unimpressed when she saw me open the box today! 

158758677362962.jpg

Oooh. The words "red" and "handed" spring to mind. :ph34r:

On 4/22/2020 at 9:23 PM, EliTR6 said:

Black steel wheels would be cool! 

Caps, and sans caps.

EliTRBlacStee1.thumb.jpg.468468c995a32908346f76f213a1a09e.jpg

EliTRBlacStee6.thumb.jpg.785c79baee4b73b834ba71129e7e60e2.jpg

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
15 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Stanchions seem OK 

Hope this post will put people off using this gunk instead of the traditional seal 

First check to determine that is measure from the top of the stanchion back to the mounting plate for the hood webbing on the rear deck on one side and then check the other then measure from the top of the stanchion one side to that plate the other side and vice versa, this will give you a good idea of whats straight and whats not.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

DELETED SAME TEXT TWICE IN ERROR

Edited by DavidBee
4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Eli,

had wires, [...] went to steels last year, the freedom is quite marked, fit and balance anywhere, and clean in 30 secs per wheel, and maintainence free.

One other thing I found with steels,  was a freedom I never had with wires [...].

I agree with John. When I bought OGB 800, it came with dazzling 72-spoke, I think, chrome wires.

I went to Ken Mumford who had 5 as new steel wheels, for a very reasonable price, stripped them, primed them with smooth Hammerite, purchased a rattle can or two of Signal Red paint and that was that.

No worries about splines, about loose or broken wires, rust. Very practical for someone like me whose only car it was, come rain or shine, for commuting and all the rest.

But nowadays when most of us are not using their TRs as their daily driver, how their car looks is an important part of owning a classic.  Back in the day, british sports cars had wire wheels. As has already been said they look nice and what's an extra ten minutes of cleaning to keep them looking respectable when you clean the car.

Hence my TR3a has 70 spoke painted wires.

Rgds Ian

4 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Deggers mon ami, there's one option you missed... :rolleyes:

Because racecar!!!

That ... is remarkable!

Great pictures Eli. I think you may have just unmasked it's true potential. :)

Boulevard cruiser to racer in 1, 2, 3!

TRUSadverB.thumb.jpg.7022b9d912ce12d2574e14b1ec50c713.jpg

Deggers

1 hour ago, EliTR6 said:

Racecar!!! 

158764345258105-01.jpeg.a55c02fe7f97ec2841e8d36d0f2d335d.jpeg

Then, I'd want to check the steel wheels for cracks and buckling, rectify or replace as necessary with the best available, and fit good quality tyres. Vredestein 5 Trac?

More modern tyres, anyway, would be my preference, not just for looks, bearing in mind the options available to you in tread width.

Edited by DavidBee
Fun
6 hours ago, Deggers said:

That ... is remarkable!

Great pictures Eli. I think you may have just unmasked it's true potential. :)

Boulevard cruiser to racer in 1, 2, 3!

TRUSadverB.thumb.jpg.7022b9d912ce12d2574e14b1ec50c713.jpg

Deggers

Thanks to your Photoshop skills! The wheels were one of the the main things I was finding hard to love until now. Beers on me! 

6 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Then, I'd want to check the steel wheels for cracks and buckling, rectify or replace as necessary with the best available, and fit good quality tyres. Vredestein 5 Trac?

More modern tyres, anyway, would be my preference, not just for looks, bearing in mind the options available to you in tread width.

The "because racecar" is a silly Internet meme. Kind of like the "can I haz cheezburger" cat. Was a big part of Internet culture 10 years ago. I don't plan on racing, short drives along the coast would be a good start! :)

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/because-race-car

The tyres are like new but 10 years old so I'll change them in May / June. Currently on contis and the tread pattern is a bit less modern looking than the vredesteins so might keep the same. 

I'm aware that there are reams of discussions comparing tyres on the forum. I'll definitely be keeping the 165r15 size. I put swapped my steel wheels on the old tr6 for wolfrace rims on wider tyres. Absolutely wrecked the feel of the car. 

Edited by EliTR6
46 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

I'll definitely be keeping the 165r15 size. I put swapped my steel wheels on the old tr6 for wolfrace rims on wider tyres. Absolutely wrecked the feel of the car. 

I ran 165 Cinturato Pirellis on steel wheels for years

8 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks to your Photoshop skills! The wheels were one of the the main things I was finding hard to love until now. Beers on me! 

[...]

Same was for me, and I am still not 100% sure that the steels are the best option.

Another option I considered was to change to wider steels of TR6 (5,5 of 1969):

2 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

Same was for me, and I am still not 100% sure that the steels are the best option.

Another option I considered was to change to wider steels of TR6 (5,5 of 1969):

Thanks for the link. I like the vintage look of the skinny wheels. And they have the added benefit of being already on the car! 

On 4/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, EliTR6 said:

Ammeter is there but not wired in. 

Electrics, fueling, cooling and suspension. What am I missing? 

Brakes! I forgot the brakes :wacko:

8 hours ago, stuart said:

Thanks but the price is almost in sprint classic territory. Both are a bit too pricey for me right now anyway :(

Tomorrow its time to get all four wheels in the air and start prepping the chassis for painting! 

26 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks but the price is almost in sprint classic territory. Both are a bit too pricey for me right now anyway :(

Tomorrow its time to get all four wheels in the air and start prepping the chassis for painting! 

Cheaper?  https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nankang/econex-na-1/165-80-r15-87t-497040

40 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Eli, is it really necessary to repaint the chassis? Looks ok to me. I understand car needs waxoyling again, since restoration, but chassis too?

52 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Too cheap :lol: I like the contis because the design doesn't look too modern  

10 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Eli, is it really necessary to repaint the chassis? Looks ok to me. I understand car needs waxoyling again, since restoration, but chassis too?

Hi David. The paint has flaked off in a few spots underneath. I live by the sea so even with mostly dry use and a dehumidifier in the garage corrosion is still going to happen, albeit slowly. 

Ive got chassis touch-up paint from Restom, à French company. It's got light anti rust properties and is meant to be brushed over existing paint. It can't hurt! 

Ive got to do the land rover chassis too :blink:4019238014990_0358140.jpg.44ee22e08a768da228547f9af6d22520.jpg

thumb_w370h440zc2q60__691-1.jpg

Vredestein-Sprint-Classic.jpg

When thinking about putting wider tyres on my 5½" rims I considered 175/80 ones by Nankang as they were a good compromise size,

but having read some reviews of them, (not good) I stuck with my old 165/80's for now.

Bob.

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Too cheap :lol: I like the contis because the design doesn't look too modern  

Hi David. The paint has flaked off in a few spots underneath. I live by the sea so even with mostly dry use and a dehumidifier in the garage corrosion is still going to happen, albeit slowly. 

Ive got chassis touch-up paint from Restom, à French company. It's got light anti rust properties and is meant to be brushed over existing paint. It can't hurt! 

Ive got to do the land rover chassis too :blink:4019238014990_0358140.jpg.44ee22e08a768da228547f9af6d22520.jpg

thumb_w370h440zc2q60__691-1.jpg

Vredestein-Sprint-Classic.jpg

Yes, touching up, quite right. But not.. unbolting the whole damn chassis off the body??

Have you seen V 5 trac?

2 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Yes, touching up, quite right. But not.. unbolting the whole damn chassis off the body??

Have you seen V 5 trac?

God no! Just a quick brush over

The vredestein would be my 2nd choice after the contis 

1 hour ago, EliTR6 said:

God no! Just a quick brush over. The vredestein would be my 2nd choice after the contis 

Ok, that is what TR Bitz kindly did too, after a thorough wash down of the underside, as part of the deal, as well as replacing radiator hoses, braided brake hoses, handbrake cable, harness belts and mounts, Weber tuneup, distributor cap and leads, plugs, oil and air filters, oil change, diff oil and chassis greasing, new 175 15 tyres, fitting halogen headlamps, fitting new switches and Bob's LED conversion (this latter supplied by yours truly), reverse and fog lamps — and a set of 4 Landrover 6-inch spots from Rimmers also supplied by me. I forget what else. But I can't stand the waiting any more.

As to the Vredesteins, I refer only to the 5 Trac, though, not the expensive Sprint Classics. I myself think they are over rated, though and looks have some sway, they are not everything. There are several never mentioned here which are better.

4 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Ok, that is what TR Bitz kindly did too, after a thorough wash down of the underside, as part of the deal, as well as replacing radiator hoses, braided brake hoses, handbrake cable, harness belts and mounts, Weber tuneup, distributor cap and leads, plugs, oil and air filters, oil change, diff oil and chassis greasing, new 175 15 tyres, fitting halogen headlamps, fitting new switches and Bob's LED conversion (this latter supplied by yours truly), reverse and fog lamps — and a set of 4 Landrover 6-inch spots from Rimmers also supplied by me. I forget what else. But I can't stand the waiting any more.

As to the Vredesteins, I refer only to the 5 Trac, though, not the expensive Sprint Classics. I myself think they are over rated. Although looks have some sway, they are not everything. There are several never mentioned here which are better.