CSI or 123 Electronic Distributor

I am contemplating the same. Put a 123 on my son's 1970 Alfa Spider and it works well on that. Maybe the CSI has a curve more suited to the TR? I don't know.

Simon

I’ve iust put the latest 123Tune+ on my 6

Very pleased with it, well engineered and the bluetooth app works well on the iphone ( it does not work well on android)

The rev limiter does work, but seemingly not at the correct revs!, ant the immobiliser is an added bonus.

Steve

Simon

The original 123 had preset curves, like the CSI

The 123 Tune is setup using a laptop with any curve you like

It has two different curves which can be stored and these are selectable via a switch each with its own rev limiter

The latest version has Bluetooth and is set via a mobile phone.

I have had a 123Tune on my 3A since they became available and it has been faultless.

Regards

Rog

I inherited the older version 123 on my 3. It hasn't misbehaved so far despite doing 10k+ last year.

Yes the tune+ gives access to view and change the curve on the iphone, and a dashboard with tacho etc.

Its good!

As above though, doesnt seem to work on android and the rev limiter is cutting too early on my car

My tacho agrees with the ‘dashboard’ on the iphone, so i dont think it is wrong, and rebuilt last week by jdo

Steve

Folks, Ive looked at 123 distributors but they have a warning saying:

- Triumph-owners should check if they need a connection for a mechanical rev.counter, as a 123\GB does not offer this.

The Tr4a has a rev counter drive off the distributor. How do those of you using the 123 get around this, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

I just looked at the installation video of CSI and compared it to mine 123Tune.

I believe either one will do. I like CSI's immobiliser. I do not like CSI curve setting. 123 is easier.

However, for either one, if you have a tuned engine, or planning to do some optimal ignition curve searching, the pre-installed curves are not sufficient, and a programmable curve is necessary.

CSI does not seem to offer this, in this case you need to use 123Tune.

Last but not least, it is all electronics. Eventhough CSI or 123 may have very limitted break down or failures, I hate to stand in the middle of France with a broken down distributor. Therefore, I keep an overhauled mechanical version with me all the time.

Jochem

Last but not least, it is all electronics. Eventhough CSI or 123 may have very limitted break down or failures, I hate to stand in the middle of France with a broken down distributor. Therefore, I keep an overhauled mechanical version with me all the time.

Jochem

Precisely! Last year one of the French lads broke down over here when his 123 went down and we had to supply him with a complete Dizzy to get him home.

Stuart.

I fitted an original type 12Tune to my 4A ten years ago and it hasn't given a moments bother since. I don't mind if I am tempting Providence since I always carry the old Lucas 25D4 complete with adjusted points and all HT leads just in case. For my engine curve # 7 proved ideal giving 10degs advance at idle, 22 degs at 2,00rpm and 30 degs at 4,500.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about putting electronic ignition on my 4a. Could you report back on whether there were noticeable improvements in smoothness/idle etc.

Thanks

Simon

@ Simon,

I have fitted it monday afternoon Had a short trip in the neighborhood and it runs quit well, fist chosen curve as advised in the instruction is curve nr 10, but i have had to do some other adjustments first for a good impression (tappet clearance, new needle and shaft in one of the SU's and balancing them.. new air filters ..)

A quick test with a timinglight/stroboscoop result in a very stable flachs on timingmarker no wiggling as before with the traditionnel contact breaker/points.

report back,

Marcel

Edited by Quicksilver
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had a 123 electronic distributor fitted last October, prior to having the distributor fitted I was plagued with the car pinking regardless of numerous valve clearance and timing checks, since the 123 distributor was fitted I have not heard the pinking noise, no problems to date so very happy with the change, hope this helps those thinking about the change.

Cheers

John

post-14787-0-74959500-1527623812_thumb.jpg

That exactly mirrors my experience John. Before fitting the 123 I had been plagued by intermittent pinking, I think this was due to stretched springs in the Lucas distributor giving a variable mechanical advance. In the ten years since fitting the 123 I have had no more pinking.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

So all problems are solved, car is running well. The carbs were not in balance, and i have change the leads for new ones and fit new spark plugs NGK BP7HS (was BP6HS)

Now the idle is smooth and quiet, the response when accelerating is great, and cruising at 125 km/ph in 4 overdrive is relaxing. So it is well worth this upgrade.

what mark? thats is your choice or depence your nearby dealer.

Cheers,

Marcel