Kinchrome tool chest

Having outgrown my current tool chest, expansion chest and Roll cab combination I'm thinking of pushing the boat out and going 'large' been looking at one of these, https://www.kincrome.co.uk/20-drw-stainless-combo-41 anybody have any experience of them ?

Have had a prod and a poke at one at the local Home Base and they seem quite well put together.

Edited by Graham

I have no experience of them or what price range they retail at, unfortunately the page you link to doesn't load but checking through the warranties they offer they fall into 3 categories of 12 months 2 years or " lifetime of the product" which is defined by the manufacturer or retailer.

Any returns requires proof of purchase and display of purchase receipts etc as well as the warranty return item which if you're covering a year or two in time starts to get a bit problematical, we all lose receipts or find them printed on rice paper with ink that fades to illegibility after 48 months. When compared against the warranty available in the UK marketplace I don't think it compares for example with the Halfords warranty where lifetime warranty is defined as "lifetime" with no weasel words regarding "lifetime of the product". I fully expect in 10 years time to return a Halfords failed item product that complies with their requirements and have it replaced at one of their local stores...Oh and they don't require proof of purchase as I remember just the failed product.

In my past life in the commercial truck industry many of the mechanics now purchase Halfords products for the same reason, replacement of failed products ( they use every product Snap on, Britool etc) and they all fail with regularity, is of importance and an outlet in the nearest town which will replace a broken part from a boxed set on display if necessary and given to a parts van driver for immediate replacement wins many friends amongst the mechanics. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_14552_productId_1183543_langId_-1_categoryId_173014&cm_re=mmworkshop-_-Workshop-_-lifetimeguarantee

So read the different warranty explanations and confirm it meets what you think you are getting, after that your pricing can be compared accordingly.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

PS:

Subject to what Halfords tool chest you buy the lifetime warranty applies to those also.

Mick Richards

Just of point of clarity - the lifetime guarantee only applies to Halfords Advanced (or what was Professional) ranges.

I now replace all of my tools with Halfords if available for the no quibble guarantee after they kindly replaced a ratchet spanner that broke as a result of ham fisted / lazy use.

FWIW The grade of stainless in that tool box is 403, you may like to read this about its properties.

"430: Stainless steel is a low-carbon plain chromium ferritic stainless steel. Mainly used for kitchen grade tables and utensils along with other applications not demanding in anti-corrosion properties. However, the stainless steel has good corrosion resistance in mildly corrosive environments and good resistance to oxidation at elevated temperatures. The steel has limited weldability and should not be used in the as welded condition for dynamic or impact loaded structures. Being a ferritic material, 430 is liable to brittle fracture at sub-zero temperatures, and cannot be used in cryogenic applications. As the steel does not contain nickel or molybdenum, it is less expensive than any of the 300 series."

Stuart.

Hm........... found this now anybody got one of these ? https://usprotoolboxes.com/product-category/stainless-steel-tool-chests/the Kinchrome one I can go and look at in Hombase but this one looks like only available from the UK distributor in Lincoln which is a bit of a trek for me. Had a look on the web and generally the product reviews are saying its ok, not Snap on quality, but not Snap on $ either

My garage is just big enough for my 3a and a bench.

Otherwise ............

And not giving money to pyramid selling sn@p on

Check out the warranties, not life time I'm afraid (why not ?) ranges from 12 months to 10 years on their top range.

I have an occasional US Pro tool, bought because they were the right price and for 1 job, to be fair they did the job and are still functional so I think their quality isn't at all bad. It might be worth a chancer for you, from your comments I suspect you're after a little something different from everybody else.

Mick Richards

You'll do a damn sight better with two or three smaller roll cabs than one giant box . . . . . . even in a professional workshop they are a liability, need multiple pairs of hands to move, then give way under the strain . . . .

Ultimate dumb bling, and utterly unnecessary in a home workshop.

If you want to look at proper quality Aussie kit, try Sidchrome . . . . . been around for ever, I was using their tools back in the 70s.

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

If you are after a large tool cab then Costco have a couple of good options..... personally, I think it is hard to look past the Halfords Professional range, when on special offer they are good value and Offer good flexibility.

...... Andy

Hi Graham

I have one of these from costco very well built and good value for money, they will deliver too

https://www.costco.co.uk/Hardware-DIY-Tyres/Storage-Organisation/Cabinet-Sets/Kirkland-Signature-42-106-cm-6-Drawer-1-Cabinet-Top-Chest-42-106-cm-10-Drawer-Bottom-Tool-Chest/p/803353

Ive had mine a couple of years now really recommend it

Edited by Clarkey

Have you had a bad experience with Halfords, Graham? You seem detemined not to consider them.

I'm now on my second set of roll cab and top box from Halfords. The old set was the cheapest and after fifteen years the drawers were a bit saggy and stiff, yet I sold them for a large round of drinks to a craftsman who wanted extra storage!

My new set is the better quality, "professional" range, and is still a fraction of the cost of the items you linked to.

As for guarantee, I've broken Halfords tools too, but only by misuse, yet they stand by their word and replace off the shelf.

I wouldn't consider a supplier from halfway across the UK, when I have that warranty in my home town.

John

John have looked at the Halfords pro stuff and the quality is very good, they just don't make them in the wider variants which is what I wanted.

For any body looking at the Kinchrome box jus be aware that some of the drawers are only 25mm deep, OK for sheets of paper but can't think of what other use they would be ?

" some of the drawers are only 25mm deep, OK for sheets of paper but can't think of what other use they would be ? "

Storing tools perhaps ? I must have well over a dozen 25mm drawers amongst my tool storage cupboards, and they're all full and in use . . . . .

OK, I probably have a more comprehensive tool collection than some contributors, but not that large - it would all go in a trio of those Kinchrome units, albeit a brace would be a tad crammed.

Cheers

Alec

Drill bits, small tools, instruments etc. I have a small cabinet on my bench. Six drawers, each foolscap size and that deep, full of the above.

J

Gosh, Alex was ahead of me, and I merely echo him!

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi Folks,

just to add a slightly different slant. A neighbour down the road has just offered me a very nice work bench.

Drawers, cubby holes for screws all sorts of compartments and a nice size flat top.

Sadly my garage is completely full to the rafters - there is a car shaped space to fit the car in.

I had to say no. aaaarrrrggghhhhh

Roger

Hi Folks,

just to add a slightly different slant. A neighbour down the road has just offered me a very nice work bench.

Drawers, cubby holes for screws all sorts of compartments and a nice size flat top.

Sadly my garage is completely full to the rafters - there is a car shaped space to fit the car in.

I had to say no. aaaarrrrggghhhhh

Roger

Roger

wasn't Sue hinting at a new kitchen? this could be the ideal opportunity .................. :ph34r: