Ok, so the head is off and the radiator is out. I want to remove the original fan and replace it with a Revotec setup.

The fan came off easily as did the 6 bolts holding the fan mount to the pulley/crank. My question, how do I get the very big bolt off the front of the pulley mount?

I don't have the right size socket to begin with, so need to buy one. My set goes up to 1 inch. The engine turns freely, so impossible to loosen the bolt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Andrew

I just took that bolt off my TR3B. DeWalt DCF899H 20V impact driver and 1 1/8-inch impact socket -- two seconds.

Gearbox in reverse to maximize resistance to engine turnover.

Edited by Don H.

Don,

Yeah, but how many people have an impact driver?

Ian - put the car in 1st/reverse gear, try to find the point of

maximum resistance (although the effect of inertia should

be enough), then a hammer impact on the socket extension

arm.

Better still if you have the sump removed is to chock the

crank to prevent it from moving.

If you check the manual, you will find it's a fairly high torque.

AlanR

Or put a socket & lever on the starter dog, turn engine over in normal direction till the lever is solidly resting on the chassis.

operate the starter motor. that should loosen it.

Bob

Andrew

Another trick you might like to try is boiling water , poured very slowly over the reluctant nut, take extra care with the splashing as it's on stands. Newspaper spread around is normally sufficient. The heat expands the metal. Sometimes it needs " another go " sometimes it works first time.

Bob

Impact driver - I bought a 240v LIDL special 3 years ago, cost me all of £29.95 and that included several metric sockets.

It's done some serious work since then, works like a charm every time - highly recommended.

At the risk of stating the obvious . . . . . DO NOT use ordinary sockets with an impact driver, they can shatter all too easily and the shards carve straight through bodywork en route to burying themselves in the garage wall. Or into the operator.

A modest set of decent brand AF impact sockets will cost £25-30 if you shop around - but I'd avoid the cheap and cheerful, unnecessary risk.

Cheers

Alec

...Yeah, but how many people have an impact driver?...

Another plus point then, Alan -- a worthwhile excuse to buy a new tool!

Andrew, I also had a really good experience using an impact driver when I was removing the front pulley. I had tried all sorts other ideas but the impact driver worked a treat. I have to say I am really pleased with the Revotec fan/kit. I also invested in submarine pipe (from the bottom hose) with the adapter for a thermostat. Looks nice and neat.

May be jumping the gun here a little.....I can see how the impact driver would work to remove the nut (and have had to used one to remove the fan blade off alternators before) but how will Andrew torque up the said nut when he comes to put it back together?

John S

"If you check the manual, you will find it's a fairly high torque".

Alan R

Not in any manual I've got (several) Alan. However the Stag specifies 120 lb ft so that's what my TR gets as well.

"don't turn the engine over without clamping the liners down first."

Bob.

I sort of went don't...when I was reading it but too late Bob, Andrew has already said the engine turns over like a good in" . So the liners are likely disturbed unless he's taken note of previous postings saying to retain them, although they look solid they only need to flex to break the water seal.

Andrew,

When you're at this stage with the head off if you turned over the engine the liners have probably shifted and require reseating on the seals at their bottom. If you rebuild the engine without doing this it will likely leak water into the sump, so then pulling the liners if you suspect they've shifted is just a no brainer, rework the Figure of 8 seals and carry on rebuilding.

Mick Richards

"If you check the manual, you will find it's a fairly high torque".Alan RNot in any manual I've got (several) Alan. However the Stag specifies 120 lb ft so that's what my TR gets as well.

I'll be putting mine back together when I get a chance, Mick, and I haven't found a torque spec either. Your logic for setting a target seems reasonable.

"If you check the manual, you will find it's a fairly high torque".

Alan R

Not in any manual I've got (several) Alan. However the Stag specifies 120 lb ft so that's what my TR gets as well.

Mick Richards

Mick,

I think my recollection of a high torque figure goes

way back to my TR3 days, so maybe it's tucked away

in one of my TR3 manuals.

Have to do some checking, but my TR3 manuals are

not to hand.

The Stag torque of 120 lb ft is the sort of torque I had

in mind. Must be the largest diameter 'bolt' on the car.

AlanR