Jump to content


TR Register Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About smyllie

  • Birthday February 16

Profile Information

  • Location
    Biggin Hill, Kent

Recent Profile Visitors

305 profile views
  1. Congrats Rob, 6 years ago I took delivery of my 63 TR4 from California. It has been a labour of love and I have thoroughly enjoyed the restoration and have received lots of advice and support from the chaps on this forum. I left mine as LHD to keep it original, but that was my preference and I am comfortable driving a left hooker on our roads. Bob
  2. Hi, sorry it has been a while since I have had time o update the forum. Those of you who suggested that timing may not be the cause were correct. Ultimately it was a sticky air valve/piston on the front stromberg carb. Before rebuilding the carbs I had them vapour blasted. Apparently this process can create a rough surface and in fact caused the valve/piston to stick on load. Removed both air valves, lightly polished both with fine wet and dry and the car runs nicely. Thanks for your help. Now off to fit the hood frame, webbing and the hood itself.
  3. Hi Ian, I have not fitted a heat shield, I decided to ceramic coat the exhaust manifold to help. Pricey but work really well.
  4. Hi All, thanks for the additional advice. I have not had a lot of garage time over the last couple of weeks. Thanks for the compliments on the car, yes the colour is conifer green which was the original colour. After such a long project it is nice to get some feedback, thank you. I think you are right and the timing is a red herring. I checked the dashpots and both were slightly low, so topped up and no improvement. I then investigated the whistle which was coming from the inlet on the front carb. I removed the air filters and it is quite pronounced. So I switched the air valve/diaphragm
  5. Thanks for the super quick responses gents. So on my list is check dashpots, check both carbs are sliding freely, retard ignition until it stops pinking. Is there a neat trick to checking that the vacuum pipe is sucking? and finally do you have any thoughts on which curve to use for safety. Cheers Bob
  6. Well after a 6 year full restoration i have taken my 63 TR 4 out on the public road for the very first time. I also decided to take it for a voluntary MOT for my own piece of mind. Overall the driving experience was good, however I am struggling with the ignition timing. This is my first such project and I am not experienced in the art of interpreting the engines performance and determining how to alter the timing. The engine has been fully rebuilt with an unleaded head conversion - everything is to standard specification. I have a 123 ignition which is set to map B. The static timing is set t
  7. Hi Roger, yes that's the plan. I read your post but was not sure if you removed the engine because it was the only way to access it. So it sounds like I am about to remove the front engine ancillaries - in we go!! Any tips gratefully received.
  8. Gents thank you for the advice and tips, looks like this is worth having a go at. Just ordering new gaskets and will have a crack next weekend. I will update you with my progress.
  9. I used the revotec kit with laser cut brackets to fix the unit to the radiator. An easy installation and good quality barckets that looks great. I removed the mech fan, converted to thin belt and alternator at the same time. I did not fit the adjustable thermo switch and opted for a fixed switch and an adapted submarine pipe on the bottom hose. The wiring was easy, I am not an expert and just took my time when connecting the relay. Chuffed with the results.
  10. Final stages now of a complete restoration of my barn find US 63 TR4. When I first fired the rebuilt engine there was an oil leak from the rear and front of the engine. The rear was pressing so I removed the gearbox and discovered the that the engine builder had left the rear plug (a slot type) loose and with no thread sealant. They supplied me with a new plug and advice and all is well. I had been putting off the leak at the front and focused on other areas of the project. So today I got under the car, fired up the engine and watched the source of the oil leak from the front of the e
  11. I dithered on the same question with my rebuilt 63 TR4. I went for the original 123 (with preset curves). Easy install and starts/runs very nicely. No regrets at all.
  12. smyllie

    Fan Mount

    Andrew, I also had a really good experience using an impact driver when I was removing the front pulley. I had tried all sorts other ideas but the impact driver worked a treat. I have to say I am really pleased with the Revotec fan/kit. I also invested in submarine pipe (from the bottom hose) with the adapter for a thermostat. Looks nice and neat.
  13. Thanks Gents, the gearbox was pretty much empty so fairly certain that it is coming from the engine. There were no traces of oil on the clutch cover or the front face of the flywheel. Hopefully I will get time tomorrow to diagnose the source. Will keep you posted. Bob
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.