Black Plate California TR4A

Beautiful car! I'm going to be driving back from CA in a couple of weeks, and I'm half tempted to leave my truck out there for a while and drive this one across the west!

Despite the seller stating "Proudly displaying its irreplaceable, original 1967-issue, 6-digit, black-and-gold California license plates, front and back, this cherished TR4A is a certified, CA native that has certainly lived a charmed life", those plates look like California's new black plates, IMO.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index

Edited by Don H.

Very nice! Not the best seats ever, that has to be AlanT's masterpieces. (Where is he these days?)

Interesting to note the colonial description "very rare Independent Rear Suspension build"

It'll be interesting to see what it sells for.

Pete

For £9,500'ish looks very good value.

Alan

Yeah, but the auction has 6 days left to run!

... those plates look like California's new black plates, IMO.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index

I might have to eat my words there. Looks from more reading that the original ABC123 plate format isn't available via the new black plate program...

Nice car spoilt by very poor detailing, its only original once and this is neither original nor totally restored Im afraid.

Stuart.

Nice enough looking car but some errors and flights of fancy in the blurb. The wires were described more than once as 48-spoke whilst obviously the correct 60-spoke. I had never before heard the 4-cylinder TRactor engine described as having the smoothness of a turbine and I wonder what is meant by a transparent chassis! Interesting to see the engine described as having "no major oil leaks", that at least has the ring of truth, it's a rare TR engine that is truly leak free.

It will indeed be interesting to see what the winning bid is.

Tim

I had never before heard the 4-cylinder TRactor engine described as having the smoothness of a turbine

Me either ^_^

I venture you could get halfway there by fitting Carillo [ super light, unbreakable ] rods though. Anyone done so?

Cheers,

Tom

Nope, why bother ?

A conrod that's balanced end to end and as part of the balanced reciprocating mass is just that... a balanced conrod. Lighter rods may help the engine spinning up but having it called a Carillo is just an excuse to burn money,...unless you're going into +6000 revs a lot and maintaining the revs for 5 or 6 secs or more in competition.

Mick Richards

Nope, why bother ?

A conrod that's balanced end to end and as part of the balanced reciprocating mass is just that... a balanced conrod. Lighter rods may help the engine spinning up but having it called a Carillo is just an excuse to burn money,...unless you're going into +6000 revs a lot and maintaining the revs for 5 or 6 secs or more in competition.

Mick Richards

Carillos made my already smoother than factory '250 engine ( balanced stock rods ) noticeably smoother; I've not witnessed one as smooth. The stress and corresponding deflection of the crankshaft is proportional to the weight of the throws with all their attachments. On the 6-pot rod the Carillos are dramatically lighter at 425-450 grams each - I take this to be the reason why.

As for their expense, you get what you pay for, and to the extent ( which I guess is considerable ) they alleviate the " need " for billet cranks and reinforced bearing caps in racing applications there would be a tradeoff.

Cheers,

Tom

Nice enough looking car but some errors and flights of fancy in the blurb. The wires were described more than once as 48-spoke whilst obviously the correct 60-spoke. I had never before heard the 4-cylinder TRactor engine described as having the smoothness of a turbine and I wonder what is meant by a transparent chassis! Interesting to see the engine described as having "no major oil leaks", that at least has the ring of truth, it's a rare TR engine that is truly leak free.

It will indeed be interesting to see what the winning bid is.

Tim

A TRiumph that doesn't leak oil? That goes for Triumph motorbikes too!

Doug