Optimistic Rebuild

Tom, regarding doors, then that is one area where I had planned to source reasonable pre-used original items rather than new skins. When I find them the first thing I'll do is make some templates to compare to those on the car now, (and keep my fingers crossed that Triumph did not rely on too much hand fabrication, leading to significant differences)

I can see the attraction for cutting the tub in two, but I didn't have the confidence to try it. I tried to stabilize the body while on the frame, and then lifted it off in one piece. I transferred it to a rotisserie platform that supported it at most of the original points. After extensive metal work, it went back on to the repaired frame, and the fit was really pretty good.

Quite a few pics of the tub repair here: http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-49/TR6-49.html

Frame repair is on the site, too.

Ed

Edited by ed_h

British Motor Heritage sell the door skin, and I doubt whether they will differ that much, if anything to the original.

On my Mk1 Mini I fitted an NOS BMC skin on the N/S and a Heritage on the O/S, and apart from the primer being darker on the heritage panel I could not tell the difference. It was dimensionally correct and the flanges folded beautifully.

Unless I have missed a post, I have not heard of any issues with the TR4/6 door skins on this forum recently.

Kevin

Lots of well meaning advice but please be aware that using a second hand chassis or a donor car (with chassis) is technically illegal, as in the resultant vehicle would be regarded by the Authorities as a 'Ringer'.

Whilst the chances of being caught are maybe small (as TR6s don't have a chassis number stamped into them) one way of increasing the chances are to advertise your intentions on a publically viewable Forum. DVLA now have a dedicated team looking into what they regard as vehicle identity fraud.

Not being judgemental just giving the facts. Go the CTM route or keep shtum

Lots of well meaning advice but please be aware that using a second hand chassis or a donor car (with chassis) is technically illegal, as in the resultant vehicle would be regarded by the Authorities as a 'Ringer'.

Whilst the chances of being caught are maybe small (as TR6s don't have a chassis number stamped into them) one way of increasing the chances are to advertise your intentions on a publically viewable Forum. DVLA now have a dedicated team looking into what they regard as vehicle identity fraud.

Not being judgemental just giving the facts. Go the CTM route or keep shtum

Second hand chassis wouldnt make any difference as its an original replacement part.Neither would a new one. When these cars were new an accident damaged car would have been repaired with whatever was required and would have gone back on the road as the same car.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Second hand chassis wouldnt make any difference as its an original replacement part.Neither would a new one. When these cars were new an accident damaged car would have been repaired with whatever was required and would have gone back on the road as the same car.

Stuart.

Stuart.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

Quoting from the Website does this mean one of the new CTM Chassis's with it being modified from original would mean you couldn't keep the original Registration?

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
Edited by Gary Flinn

Quoting from the Website does this mean one of the new CTM Chassis's with it being modified from original would mean you couldn't keep the original Registration?

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)

The first two points state that you can use a new chassis or a new shell and retain original reg.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I think the issue is how similar to 'original specification' are we talking.

The CTM chassis is very very good but it does have the upgrades (strengthening in certain areas). So is this 'original spec' or a 'modified spec'

I would go along with 'original spec' as it looks the same and does the same job.

If it were a tubular chassis like Alan's in the US then no. But Alan's is rather tasty. B)B)

Roger

I have to agree in part with Ragtag, as I have witnessed the DVLA in action on this subject and its not like the old days Stuart? Especially if the car reg. is not on their data base since they went over to V5s in 1976! Even if you have the old green log book? This is why the fraudsters prefer look for cars with V5s as they have been able to re- register these cars more easierly but the DVLA are also on to this one now as well. My advice is to keep a history sheet of exactly what you have done to your car as they may ask for the car to be verified by an expert??? Often the marques car club for that model, or a visit from the DVLA themselves, if you go into dispute??.

Bruce.

Interestingly in a past car owning life I had a lotus elan.. pretty much all of them out there now are on replacement chassis and the majority are in chassis made by spyder not lotus.. these chassis are very different to the lotus original, tubular front section rather than folded sheet steel. Guessing that given the rediculous high values of these cars now they wouldn't be very happy if DVLA clamped down.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim D.

Robin,

I have re-read your original thread and have a few questions:

Did this car come with any documentation? Like an old V5? Even if it did not I would fill in a V888 pay the £5 cost for a history trace of V5 owners. This will be from 1976, you should get a part copy of the original green log book as well. All the DVLA copies are bar coded and this can help you in the future as evidence! Also explain to the DVLA that you are the new owner and are restoring this car to put back on the road. If you have a bill of sale to you include that if not try to get one. The V888 application will be recorded on their system and may preserve your registration number. Because if the car has not been taxed or sorn for years they are inclined to give a new age re-lated number which many people do not like as it denotes a re-made car to the DVLA! Let us know how you get on!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce, The car came with a reasonably comprehensive set of records from the '80s,including: hand-written service notes (covering a period of around 20k miles), MOT certificates, Tax discs and the current style V5c (in English and Welsh, due to its location).

The last tax disc dates from '88, which was a few years after the last change in keeper (shown as 11/85). Looking at the historical mileage records and comparing with the current odometer I am pretty sure that the car hasn't turned a wheel since '87/'88; it has just been parked-up, slowly rotting.

Obviously the lay-up predates the introduction of SORN; I was hoping that there won't be any problem when I send in the V5c indicating me as the new Registered Keeper and asking for a change in the tax classification to Historic. The only question in my mind was whether to do this before or after completing my re-commissioning and if the V890 should be sent in at the same time. Do you foresee any questions from DVLA... would it be best to give them a call first?

Robin

Robin,

In your case I would look send the old V5 off but did the seller send off any part of page 3 sections 9 or 10 because he should have done? If not I would speak directly to the DVLA first! I believe that you will be asked to send in your V5 but before you do check all the details on page 2 section 4 are correct. I slipped up in this area where the number 5 had been mistaken for the letter S on a BSA motor bike and this caused me a bit of aggro with the DVLA. It turned out to be their mistake when they transferred the log book details to their V5 computer system in 1976. I was the first person to point it out after 30+ years after the event but I still had to go through DVLA procedure for it to be changed, for a new V5 to be issued. If they are prepared to issue a new V5 in your name ask them how do SORN in your case? This shows that your registration number is still active!

Bruce.

Robin

I've watched your thread with interest

If you look at the dates on the V5 it's only recently been through DVLA so you won't have any problems just fill it in and send it off

Tom

Exactly as the first two points I rest my case M`lud ;)

Stuart.

I read from your post that you were suggesting a second hand chassis was ok. That clearly isn't the case. Second hand is not new.