Sports Exhaust...are they all too loud

Has anyone had experience with a set of tubular headers connected to the standard CR twin pipe exhaust system (realising that custom mods are likely required) and standard muffler box in terms of sound? I wonder if this would produce a more throaty exhaust note than the factory manifold does without the cruising speed noise and fumes that are obviously negatives with the twin-muffler setup.

Gavin

I have this system, a lash-up by one of the POs. It's not too loud, but I have spent the last three years trying to find a way of beating the kamm effect and my slow poisoning from CO.

The system has been refitted twice and all joints checked for leaks. The end pipes have been extended and are now 6cm beyond the rear bumper and have a downturn. All front bulkhead seals replaced, gearbox cover replaced, boot seal and all boot floor grommets replaced, rear lights sealed under boot lining with heavy gauge polythene and tape.

No damn use whatsoever.

Paul

What about the Michelotti bodied cars? Are they equally susceptible?

What about the Surrey backlight?

Or luggage rack?

I ask because exhaust fumes entering the cockpit isn't an issue for mine, both of which are Michelottis with Surrey tops and luggage racks. It's been over 20 years since mine had the standard soft top and I don't trust my memory as to whether it sucked fumes at speed then.

Cheers,

Tom

What about the Michelotti bodied cars? Are they equally susceptible?

What about the Surrey backlight?

Or luggage rack?

I ask because exhaust fumes entering the cockpit isn't an issue for mine, both of which are Michelottis with Surrey tops and luggage racks. It's been over 20 years since mine had the standard soft top and I don't trust my memory as to whether it sucked fumes at speed then.

Cheers,

Tom

The Michelotti shape doesnt suffer this problem, its the Kamm tail on the 6.

Stuart.

Whilst I agree with the comments of Alan G & Neil, there is an bespoke exhaust company near me, that offer what sort of sound you want! Loud, medium or soft,perhaps some of the TR suppliers could offer the same. They also offer a thicker gauge s/s tubing which also affects the transmitted sound.

Bruce.

Whilst I agree with the comments of Alan G & Neil, there is an bespoke exhaust company near me, that offer what sort of sound you want! Loud, medium or soft,perhaps some of the TR suppliers could offer the same. They also offer a thicker gauge s/s tubing which also affects the transmitted sound.

Bruce.

+ 1

All for approx £495. On this system the tail pipes are separate and you can shape/tailor to suit, take off to clean etc etc. Or if you want a single pipe, that can be done too. This box also provides an extra 4" or so of clearance. All the mounts are standard fittings, so if one breaks or needs replacing, then it's a simple visit to Kwikfit or similar. All made sense to me and I'm very pleased. One adjustment I'm having done to this system, is to insert a short flexi pipe (9 inches) at the front end, as it's a bit too rigid. The supplier will happily supply and adjust. In short you can get this done via several suppliers. Just Google it.

best bill

post-391-0-32987100-1484248259_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill Bourne

Tried - there are several. Is it Profusion? If yes, I think they need the car to do the fitting... no?

Yes of course you would need to take the car to them. I'm not sure about Poland, but here I used Powerflow, although there are many more to choose from

https://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/

Edited by Bill Bourne

Cliff,

Buy two yards of 1" wide elastic and a cheap roll of white wool - you will need a couple of yards

Stitch or knot the ends of the elastic together to form a loop, Sew or knot about 9" to a foot of wool every 6" down half of the elastic. Total cost 1$'ish

Open boot lid and slip the elastic (tightly) over the boot lid so the wool tell-tales are on the outside of the car.

Go for a drive down the street.

You will, or I do, notice that at any speed over 25-30mph the wool tell-tales switch from pointing to the rear of the car to pointing towards the cockpit. (poor mans' wind tunnel)

and at any speed above 30mph the tell tales point determinedly towards the cockpit - a demonstration of the Kamm effect.

And the fumes from the twin exhausts come along with the airflow straight into your lungs, perhaps you will smell it, perhaps you won't, but it's a sure fire thing that it is not going to do your lungs any good after driving for a few hours!

The original exhaust vents to one side of the car and you will see any tell-tale in that area still points rearwards.

Probably twin exhausts, one in each corner would be OK, just not so close to the centre line.

Alan

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of 6s trailing wool! I certainly plan to give it a try. Need to wait until all the road salt has gone though. JJC

How often do we have to reinvent the wheel ? Standard Triumph engineers were not entirely ignorant, nor yet stupid . . . .

Aftermarket twin pipe 'sports' exhausts worked well enough on TR4, 4A and 5 . . . . as we found out in the 1960s.

By the early 70s it was clear enough that a TR5 'sports' twin system didn't work on a TR6, and that the 'Kamm' type tail was the root cause.

Towards the end of the 70s there was a fair chunk of development work done on TR systems, demonstrating, once again, that TR6s and wheelbarrow exhaust systems don't go together.

40 years on and we're still arguing the toss, and still buying expensive 'sports' exhaust systems that might be better employed as ornaments for training runner beans in the back garden. Shiny and polish worthy they might be, applied to a 6 they're still turds in all but name.

When will we ever learn ?

Cheers

Alec

Good to see you chime in, Alec - our monitors were getting worried!

So I see a recommendation converging toward the side exit pipe(s) for the TR6, and if PHOENIX could stuff the right wadding in their large bore cross box to get some decibels out of it we might have the perfect solution!

Cheers,

Tom

Good to see you chime in, Alec - our monitors were getting worried!

So I see a recommendation converging toward the side exit pipe(s) for the TR6, and if PHOENIX could stuff the right wadding in their large bore cross box to get some decibels out of it we might have the perfect solution!

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom, I think Phoenix do a Standard and a Sports Cross Box, sorry don't know any details.

May as well chime in. My car a 69 came with a dual monza, Cut it off with a sawzall.

Purchased the Phoenix 2 14" big bore intermediate pipe and silencer from Rimmer, had it shipped over.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID600078

Picked up a stock single manifold. Had Richard Good make me a 2 1/4" downpipe.

Not necessary probably but had the shop weld in a flex connector.

In the pic you can see how much better Richard's downpipe will flow compared to a stock downpipe.

Stock is bent and choked down. Richard welded in a 90 so the bend is still 2 1/4".

Just my opinion but other than looks no reason to go with dual exhaust on the tr6.

I don't get fumes in the cockpit and it's not a loud system.

post-12595-0-69675800-1484409153_thumb.jpg

post-12595-0-94707400-1484409160_thumb.jpg