I am posting this on behalf of a French member who requires help with hard top fitting.

He would like some information and photographs of how the headlining is attached. If anyone can assist could you either post here or send to my email address in the back of TRaction.

Thanks in advance

Mike

No photos - long time since I was driving with a TR3 hardtop, up the

motorway (with Buckles in the back seat - on the way to a Commitee

eeting - that should date it!)

The beige felt-like headlining was glued directly to the hardtop shell.

Plus, there as a strip metal 'spring' that went from side to side.

About ½" wide sprung steel.

Sure someone will have photos.

AlanR

I have some pics of my hardtop lining process, noise dampening, foam and then vinyl - all from Woolies - pm your email if you want them

No photos - long time since I was driving with a TR3 hardtop, up the

motorway (with Buckles in the back seat - on the way to a Commitee

eeting - that should date it!)

The beige felt-like headlining was glued directly to the hardtop shell.

Plus, there as a strip metal 'spring' that went from side to side.

About ½" wide sprung steel.

Sure someone will have photos.

AlanR

PAB does still fit in a TR. We went to Jan's funeral service in my TR3A.

Peter W

What is the purpose of the spring steel strip ?. It doesn't seem to be part of the headliner. Is it there just to hold the hardtop shape, stop the drumming ?. I don't have one, is it necessary ?.

Stan

As far as I could work out it is there to hold the headlining into the crown of the hardtop - when the glue fails.

Peter W

As far as I could work out it is there to hold the headlining into the crown of the hardtop - when the glue fails.

Peter W

So the original headlining was attached to that strip somehow ?. On my TR6 hardtop the glue held up fine, it was the foam layer that reverted back to its natural state letting the fabric fall off.

Stan

Guys, please post the hardtop info here in the thread -- it would be a most useful addition to the collective knowledge!

I would turn to Glynn Hopps here on the forum. He currently owns Raymond's old car. And you can be sure that Raymond made a study out of it before he embarked on the hardtop queste. There's a fair chance that Glynn's car came with tons of pics of the restoration of his car.

Menno

Hi

Pictures as requested

An original Hardtop showing the remants of the Union Wool Cloth Lining and the position of the Spring Steel Strip....across from side to side at screw 5 on the cant rails.

post-7533-0-29566600-1482152824_thumb.jpg

I bought new Union Wool cloth from Woolies in Beige, as close to the original as possible, however it is not wide enough to allow trimming in one piece. Joins were required, I am no trimmer but here is the result. The wool cloth is felt like in texture and will take a lot of stretching to the curvatures, held in pale by Woolies High Temperature adhesive.

post-7533-0-88930500-1482153087_thumb.jpgpost-7533-0-56910500-1482153112_thumb.jpgpost-7533-0-62836400-1482153132_thumb.jpgpost-7533-0-02234600-1482153153_thumb.jpgpost-7533-0-44905600-1482153527_thumb.jpgpost-7533-0-02725900-1482153548_thumb.jpgpost-7533-0-53176700-1482153565_thumb.jpg

As yet I have to trim the sprung steel strip which is covered in the same material, positioned and then in my hardtop was cushioned at either end with a wadd of excess trim material packing the ends behind the hardtop inner skin.

Hope that helps

Iain

Edited by iain

Thanks for the pictures Iain. Very helpful. So that spring strip get covered and then sits on the outside of the headlining ?

Stan

Basically yes.

Stuart.

Hi Stan

sorry yes it sits between those two points under tension.....I assume it helps to reduce drumming? I hope so anyway :D

Cheers

Iain

Iain, thanks again for the additional details. When you get a chance could you measure the dimensions of that strip ?. I have no idea how we could make one yet but having the dimensions especially the thickness would be a start.

Stan

Iain, thanks again for the additional details. When you get a chance could you measure the dimensions of that strip ?. I have no idea how we could make one yet but having the dimensions especially the thickness would be a start.

Stan

Not local but a possible supplier when you get dimensions.

http://www.precisionsteel.com/contact-us

Peter W

Hi Stan

as Stuarts says its sprung steel, 49"1/4 long, 1" wide and 0.055" thick ( 1.37mm) Gauge?

Sections "A" are straight, before a gentle curve which then straightens over the centre.

It also has a 12" "V" shallow (1/8") depression when viewed from above centred on its width and length.......additional reinforcing in the centre of the Hardtop?

Dimensions are crudely written on the photo below, hope this helps

Iain

post-7533-0-75419100-1482229200_thumb.jpg

Edited by iain

Hi Stan

as Stuarts says its sprung steel, 49"1/4 long, 1" wide and 0.055" thick ( 1.37mm) Gauge?

Sections "A" are straight, before a gentle curve which then straightens over the centre.

It also has a 12" "V" shallow (1/8") depression when viewed from above centred on its width and length.......additional reinforcing in the centre of the Hardtop?

Dimensions are crudely written on the photo below, hope this helps

Iain

Perfect, thanks Iain. I guess I will begin the search for some suitable spring steel sheet.

Stan

I was looking at their web site yesterday Peter and discouraged by the $300 minimum but I will ask around and see if there are other options.

Stan

It might be worth a call to Mark Macy, Stan -- with his interest in hardtops and his production of new rear windows, he's probably thought about this.

It might be worth a call to Mark Macy, Stan -- with his interest in hardtops and his production of new rear windows, he's probably thought about this.

Good idea Tom. Coincidentally Tonda and I were briefly colleagues before she quit and went to work full time for the business.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...