TR6 with a BMW Engine !

Its like "why climb Everest"? Because its there I guess. Not my cup of tea either but then again I am a old dinosaur so someone once called me! Best to keep the Triumph straight 6 in there along with Lucas PI, its part of the car's character after all.

Alan G

When I failed in my various attempts to get hold of a Sabrina engine for my 3S I considered going down Phil Tuckers replica route and sourcing a twin cam from something else. Phil eventually chose the Alfa unit but suitable 4 cyl twinks are hard to come by and even harder to get the carbs on the correct side. I myself considered Fiat, Ford, BMW, Climax and even a Rover unit as that's based on an MG bottom end and would keep it - albeit tenuously - still a BL product. I also considered fitting a Stag V8 (its a twin cam!) and a TR 6 cylinder lump as they were still most definitely Triumph engines and with the extra 6 inches there would be enough room for either. In the end though I opted to keep it to TR3 spec so it would remain a 4 cylinder car. I think I have made the right choice as the car still feels like a TR to drive and surely that's what it should be about?

Hoges

When I failed in my various attempts to get hold of a Sabrina engine for my 3S I considered going down Phil Tuckers replica route and sourcing a twin cam from something else. Phil eventually chose the Alfa unit but suitable 4 cyl twinks are hard to come by and even harder to get the carbs on the correct side. I myself considered Fiat, Ford, BMW, Climax and even a Rover unit as that's based on an MG bottom end and would keep it - albeit tenuously - still a BL product. I also considered fitting a Stag V8 (its a twin cam!) and a TR 6 cylinder lump as they were still most definitely Triumph engines and with the extra 6 inches there would be enough room for either. In the end though I opted to keep it to TR3 spec so it would remain a 4 cylinder car. I think I have made the right choice as the car still feels like a TR to drive and surely that's what it should be about?

Hoges

I agree with you Paul. The 4 pot TR unit may be old and agricultural but it is completely in keeping with the vehicle.

However ..... I recall the M16 Rover 820 unit complete with injection that was fitted to a TR7 I think by Mike Pumford - That was an improvement in power and reliability over the standard 4 cyl unit.

Peter W

PS The assembler of the TR6/BMW should have read this book before doing what he did with the steering track rod end attachments https://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Plumbing-Handbook-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879384069?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-osx-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=0879384069

As we all know single sheer is not good

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I am happy to read anything about the modified TRs

although the rest of the mentioned TR6 can

not fully compete with the BMW engine swap.

We can be happy that our TRs are not that rare

and are not that expensive that any step away from

original is a real waste of money because the car

looses its value.

I also made my experience with a modified front axle.

The reason was that the car felt unsafe during hard

cornering and at speeds beyond 200 Km/h felt nervous.

Not my normal driving speed but if it can do so it should

do that in nice manner.

The height of the rack and pinion was changed and the

caster was increased about one degree.

It's a matter of how far do you take it. For me Engine and gearbox are a step to far - if you want a modern car, buy one, they do the job better than any TR but at the loss of the charm and feel that makes them classics.

I don't have an issue with period modifications such as electronic ignition & exhausts as they were things that were period modifications and don't change the essential character.

As Paul said - it's difficult to know what to do with a TRS - if you can't get hold of the proper engine (which is effectively impossible) even a TR3 or 4 engine is still never going to be right. Do you do a Phil Tucker and make a Italian engine look like a Sabrina engine or do as Paul Hogan did and go for a TR engine. Putting a different Triumph engine in or say a BMW (don't they own the Triumph brand) wouldn't make it more or less of a TRS.