A few years ago I bought but did not fit a new mechanical type fuel pump from Moss; it looks the same as the OE, but without the AC embossed on the top plate.

I have grown vary wary of pattern parts (from items that I have fitted, especially with rubber gaiters etc. and I also see a general theme about non-OE equipment in a number of the forum threads), so am hoping to get some feedback from those experienced with these later manufactured fuel pumps.

The original pump has seen very little use over the past twenty years or so, and the diaphragms etc. must be at least ten years older than that, so I am sure that they could do with replacement. I also know that there is an intermittent leak from the outlet-pipe connection. I believe that there was some cross-threading at sometime, so I am nervous about tightening up and stripping the thread... so would also like to solve that issue.

So is it best to just fit the new pump to cure the outlet leak and trust that the fitted diaphragms are fully compatible with the modern fuels - with ethanol etc, or should I try to replace the diaphragms with known ethanol tolerant items (if these are available separately).

I have also thought about just exchanging the top-plate, diaphragm, seals etc. but keep the original AC body and filter bowl assembly, (if they parts are interchangeable)... that way I would know that the operating lever is fully compatible and run-in with cam actuating lobe.

Any suggestions please

Hi Robin

I am still running an original pump on my 4a and it does not give issues. The quality of generic parts is never as good as OE in my opinion. If you have an outlet leak it could be the flare or union on the pipe which is faulty.

If that is the only issue the thread may clean up with a new union nut carefully run in and out a few times, then a new pipe and union. You could use a tap but the thread is likely to be BSF or something similar.

Regards

Kevin

I had to clean up the thread on the brass union which screws into the pump - a P.O. had over tightened it & it "swelled to be a slightly larger dia.

The original pump it was in accommodated this, but when I fitted a D Davis recon pump I could not get the union to go in. The thread was a UNF one as I recall, I ran a die over it, & all was well.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

I have spoken with D Davis and he has confirmed that I was right to be cautious about non-OE items. Thanks to all for the lead

My new pump from another London source not Moss lasted 2 months before it failed. I now have one refurbed from D Davis and its been running fine for over 4000 miles. It also has the priming lever which is most usefull if car has been standing more than 2/3 weeks.

Anyone know if you can get new glass filter bowls and the wire frame and cup thing for the fuel pump, and if so, where from? Dave Davies doesn't do them and can't help.

The glass bowl and frame are missing on the engine I'm about to restore and on my existing car the wire frame bit is badly corroded.

Cheers

Rich

Do the ones from the cheapo chinese copies fit?

Pete

Pete

They are not quite the same, unfortunately, and the bowl itself is a slightly different shape on the one I've got so I guess the answer is no!

Roger

I've got several knackered pumps but no bowls or good frames - just checked the US option which is good to know it exists but at a price!

Anyone got anything closer to home and affordable?

Cheers

Rich

Another happy customer of the great service provided by Dave Davies!

My "new to me" TR4 required new fuel pump, and after messing around with poor quality Chinese copy.......I did what I should have done in the first place.....get the original rebuilt by Dave Davies.

Dropped pump off this morning......and picked back up this evening.

Looks and works a treat now.

Fitting up tomorrow, and getting out and about in car finally soon after.......

:)

post-13258-0-90845300-1467756066_thumb.jpg

post-13258-0-19844000-1467756080_thumb.jpg