Electronic Ignition - TR3A

Hi Folks,

I'm considering fitting electronic ignition to TuRK (my pos earth 58 TR3A) - there's a few systems on the market offering different solutions e.g. CSI, Lumination, Pertronix to name a few. I would prefer a system that is concealed in the dizzy, but willing to fit an external 'black box' if it's the best suited.

Grateful to hear any experiences and recommendations.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have used Lumenition Magnetronic MTK003 in my 4A for 15 years with no problems at all. It is fit and forget and is all inside the dissy so nothing external.

I have always carried a spare unit but never needed it. I will be fitting same to my TR250.

Only problem, I am not sure if they do a positive earth version.

Cheers

Graeme

Andrew.

I fitted an Accuspark module in 2013, I have a spare in the glove box, but it has never given any trouble. Fit & forget.

This replaced points & capacitor, but still uses the distributer for timing advance.

Should be around £50 on ebay

I think they do a + earth version, but why not switch over to -ve earth - it's easy to do.

Bob.

Andrew

My 3A has been fitted with an Aldon Automotive basic model for years. Tucked away in the dizzy so not obvious. And as Bob says fit and forget. -ive earth only I suspect.

Miles

I have been using a Newtronic system for 23 years (originally called Piranha).

The electronic unit is external (or it was back then) and is glued to the bulkhead nearby. The points are replaced with a chopper disc and optical detector.

I have always been very happy with the system.

Conversion to negative earth is so simple and means that other modern devices may be connected without fear of damage to the car or the devices.

Ian Cornish

Hi Andrew

Tresa is fitted with 123 ignition.nl ref. GB-4 (123/GB-4-R-V) set at point 7, and is for positive earth and is concealed in the dizzy. Mine has done 22000 miles now including Stelvio and no problem. I bought it somewhere near Gatwick so you will need to Google for it.

Dave

Many years ago fitted a Magnatec to my Merc, Hall effect transducer in the dizzy.

Worked beautifully for several years until the thick cabling fatigued through (unbeknownst to me) from the dizzy movements made under vacuum.

First drawn to my attention early in the descent down the Clyde mountain S bends, when the donk stalled and the power brakes and power steering ceased to work.

Most of the time the electricity jumped the gap, but on full retard it spat the dummy and stayed where it was. (The gap was too big.)

Worth looking inside periodically and rotating the innards to see all is well.

Magnatec sent me a new one for free when I told them about it. It duly worked for about the same time then fatigued through as before.(Went back to points.)

Edited by littlejim

Andrew - I fitted the Pertronix positive-earth system a few years ago. It failed within a couple of weeks, cutting out whenever the engine was hot (at normal temperature) but working again when things had cooled down. Embarrassing in traffic and potentially dangerous. Actually I found no difference in performance anyway, so went back to points and have stuck with them ever since for the sake of reliability and simplicity.

Just to present the opposite view.

I have been running my TR3a with a '123' that I bought S/H from Badfrog when he got fed up with it. There is no question that it generates a healthy spark but it is the version without a vacuum module and it is very fussy about timing and the curve that it is set at. I eventually ended up with it running on curve B and statically set to TDC. It worked and was very smooth at high revs but was nothing special at low revs.

I had in my stock of bits that came with the car a spare DM2 distributor with a knackered vacuum unit that apart from being superficially dirty, had everything else pretty much spot on. I bought a new vacuum unit from the Distributor Doctor and fitted it to the cleaned up DM2 which I re-fitted to the car today. The transformation was amazing. The engine was instantly smoother and would pull from low revs without a hiccough, whilst the performance at higher revs was unimpaired.

Now admittedly this may be (is probably?) down to the lack of a vacuum unit on the '123' but I will be sticking with the regular distributor from now on and keeping the '123' unit in the boot as an emergency spare.

Rgds Ian