Stick-on number plate ideas?

I saw a few stick-on number plates the other weekend at the Goodwood Members' Meeting. These have always seemed kinda cool to this American, bringing to mind sports/racing cars from the 50s and 60s and an approach to vehicle registration completely different from our state-issued 6 x 12 inch standard license plates.

One of these might be fun on the front apron of my car displaying its commission number, TSF 202, which is conveniently similar to a period number plate. The ones in the 74MM carpark seemed to be pretty decent quality. The numbers looked more "printed" than "sticker".

Any idea who offers the best version of these? I like the 696 CWN one in particular.

i-tJ6B8jM-X3.jpg

i-2mZgQGt-X3.jpg

i-wtCTqNR-X3.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Hi DonH ~

Here's a little tip for fixing stick-on plates (which you may already know).

Soak the plate in luke warm water to which you've added some washing up liquid.

This will allow you to apply the plate to the bodywork and enable you to move it about

on the surface until you get it in the correct position.

Press out any air bubbles with a soft cloth and allow to dry thoroughly.

Tom. ;)

Hi Don

I got mine on the front of my TR2 from a company that make plates at local shows over here. They didn't make it whilst I waited though - they produced it at their factory and posted it to me.

Pretty good quality.

http://www.numberplatecentre.com/index.html

If you need me to order one for you and ship it to the US, let me know.

Cheers

Roger

I always used to get mine from caravan shops.... I'd be surprised if they aren't still available, I'm sure eBay would turn something up.

....... Andy

Nice idea Don.

Don't know your regulations over there but reckon If I put a second plate on the front of my car over here I am sure I would be stopped

by the police every time I went out.

I suppose though that due to the different size/shape/format you might be OK

Steve

hi Don,

any vynil printing grafic sign firm will print you these off for a few quid.

I have two on the front of my TR 4, you would need to let me have an email via PM for the photo's

Steve run like this for may be 9 years, never a problem with police or MOT

John.

Nice idea Don.

Don't know your regulations over there but reckon If I put a second plate on the front of my car over here I am sure I would be stopped

by the police every time I went out.

I suppose though that due to the different size/shape/format you might be OK

Steve

I don't think it would get a second glance over here, Steve.

Here are some of the classics driving around my area that would never fly in the UK.

i-CrdzWd8-X2.jpg

i-g32FJv3-X2.jpg

i-TmXNJSM-X2.jpg

There are even a few cars with variations on our "official" plates that seem to have no problem, like this digital photograph/laminated film stick on.

i-B2N2H9N-X2.jpg

And this stretched version. I'm kinda surprised that fooling around with the official metal plates is tolerated, but there ya go.

i-nkx9zhF-X3.jpg

I live on the Essex/Suffolk border and my local police are rather strict around here.

Only last week a friend of mine was fined £500 and made to do 30 days community service for riding his bicycle without lights.

He just thought himself lucky they did not catch him at night.

Steve

When the 'E'-type Jaguar came out in 1961 there was a lot of fuss created by the police

that the front number plate wasn't in a vertical position.

That fuss soon died down when the car became a world's best seller!

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049
  • 6 months later...

Here's how that project to put my commission number on the apron turned out. I've had it there for some months now, and nobody has said a thing! No one in parking lots, no cops on the road -- completely ignored. I'm good with that! This was all about having some personal fun with it anyway, so apparently unnoticeable is fine by me.

i-MftnGBZ-X3.jpg

I live on the Essex/Suffolk border and my local police are rather strict around here.

Only last week a friend of mine was fined £500 and made to do 30 days community service for riding his bicycle without lights.

He just thought himself lucky they did not catch him at night.

Steve

Nice one Steve!

Pete

Got it from the guys in post #11, Tim, partly because they didn't seem to have any requirements for showing that I had that actual registration number. Even though I'm not in the UK, and some plate companies will make anything for export, it was easier to order there than use another vendor, like the one Roger used in post #3 and deal with any export issues.

No commission number/ UK style plate on the rear. My car is registered in my home state of Ohio using their "year of manufacture" program for historical vehicles. Under that system I need only display one YOM plate on the rear. Kind of a weird program -- I have to have both official Ohio historical vehicle plates in the car, but don't need to show either unless asked. The Ohio Department of Motor Vehicles made a photocopy of my 1962 plate for their files, and it's officially assigned to the car.

i-DFBqN2f-X3.jpg

Edited by Don H.

No problem here either Don,stick what you like on it.

Well you`ve certainly done that Niall! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuart.