Gearbox Oil Leaks

Hi I started this on my engine rebuild thread but it is getting a bit confusing so I have re-started it here.

The box was leaking like a sieve so along with the engine it came out of the car.

Most of the leaking appears to be from the three selector shaft seals.

The new O ring seals appear to be a loose fit probably work but I'm not happy) and do not fill the counterbore they sit in.

I've tried a couple of lip seals - one, 13mm is also a bit loose *no worse than the O-ring), the other 12mm is a wee bit tight.

More searching required. Or I could make my own.

The other issue is the reverse light switch.

I know where it goes. I now need to drill and tap a hole.

On the other thread there was a lot of posting about the switch thread size - I know it is 5/8" diameter and is 13TPI (post on)

This thread size is not standard (or so it would seem). There is only one known example in the universe (and I may need to scrounge it)

M16 x 2mm is almost there but not quite - how perfect doe sit need to be. My thread gauge sits perfectly on the switch thread but rocks on the M16 tap.

I have noted that the selector forks and shafts are not longer available new - Why?????

The selector looks an easy enough casting to make more.

The shafts are dead easy for any machine shop.

The last point is the breather.

The OD has a breather - so why is oil being forced out of the selectors!!!

I shall introduce a new breather hole to the GB cover.

Roger

I have noted that the selector forks and shafts are not longer available new - Why?????

The selector looks an easy enough casting to make more.

Roger

Hi Roger,

It may be a good idea for the 'Spares Development Fund' to get these made. Most gearboxes are going to need selector forks eventually.

Cheers

Graeme

There is a breather in the top cover of the gearbox, its just a 1/16 hole, or may be even smaller, Its in the top cover, I think in the top left side, towards the front, but I may be wrong. If you clean the top cover I'm sure you will se it.

John

Roger,

I have a tap to do the gearbox switch holes in the top cover somewhere if you get stuck.

Peter W

PS Sorry Roger, just looked and I have not found the tap.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Neil,

wise words. I will still do an experiment.

It is still baffling that this switch has a thread form that shouldn't exist.

I appreciate that a tap does exist and I may have to take up the offer of borrowing it but how could ST possibly run a show with one non-standard tap.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I think you will find its not just ST as the Jaguar Moss type gearbox and later all synchro boxes use the same switches.

Stuart.

Hi Alan,

the O/D of the switch thread is 5/8". It is definitely 13TPI according to my thread gauge.

M16 isn't quite there but should work - you can clearly see the difference between M16 and the switch.

I do not think it is tapered.

Roger

Hi Folks,

had fun today. I started to do a trial assembly of the top cover.

The reason for the rebuild was that it was leaking from the three O-rings.

My first thoughts on the O-rings was to replace them with lip seals.

This is not too easy as a 1/2" I/D seal needs to be significantly bigger than the seal counterbore that exists at present.

The problem with the new O-rings is that they are a little slack on the shaft, similarly in the counterbore and also the counterbore is too deep.

This allows the O-ring to floats back and forth,

So I made my own O-rings using a slightly thicker gauge ring (from a kit) cutting the rubber to length and then supergluing it together.

This now fits the counterbore better for diameter but is still too shallow. So I knocked up a 1mm shim washer to sit on top of the O-ring. See the pics.

The seal plate holds everything in place.

In the next few days I will drill/tap a hole for the reversing light switch. And then I can button it up

Roger

I don't understand the quandary over the size of the isolator switch thread. The TR4 wsm calls it out as 16mmx2mm in the overdrive section. As far as why it is metric, my guess would be that Laycock(and a lot of other British manufactures) used an existing switch that had metric threads.

Thanks for bringing up the o ring problem on the top cover. I have also found a large leak around the shift rods and agree that the available o rings don't fill the counterbore for the od and are a bit loose on the id.

Berry

Hi Berry,

the WM may well state M16 but it isn't. It is nearly M16 but not quite. It is 5/8 x 13TPI - this is not M16.

I simply can't understand why anybody would make a mass produced item using a non-standard thread form - it is not engineering, it is not sense.

An M16 tap will not go down a inhibit switch threaded hole that TRiumph made in the 60's - it is not M16.

Roger