Official TR Register clothes peg

In my experience with a TR3 and TR4a the choke cables are pretty useless. New ones only last a short while before they become ineffective. Like many other members I have resorted to the good old clothes peg to get the old girl fired up!

I think the time is now right for the Register to commission an official clothes peg. This could be covered on black vinyl or a highly polished veneer to match the dash. Obviously a discreet triumph logo would have to be inset into the peg. Hopefully one of our suppliers will now start work on a prototype. Any thoughts on other desirable features?

Richard

You may have to give your good lady fair warning and an introductory course in the uses intended for fear of frightening her if using Alec's suggestion.

I find that a gentle pull, twist and turn works fine for both. I only have the choke out for roughly 10- 15 seconds till engine fires and get it off as soon as possible.

You could also try a super market token (on its side) on a string and then you always have one for doing the shopping run.

Smaller run means more trips out, bonus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trick with the "click click" type choke cables is to put a left hand twist in the inner before clamping it to the carbs. That forces the knob to be in the correct place to latch onto the "click positions" to release just twist the knob to the right & push in.

Now awaiting rude replies B)

Hi Richard,

my TR4 choke cable was well and truly knackered. Upon see the price - £65 - I decided to go inside and see what is going on.

The notches on the brass inner rod had become smoothed over.

Easy peasy - make new rod and fit it all back together.

It is now a little tight but will run nicely.

Cost - £2.

Roger

Exactly.

Just re-furbished a fellow members choke cable - on this one the tiny half moon shim which forms the ratchet was missing !

Made a new one out of some thin brass sheet. Also sharpened up the notches with a small file. Will be re-fitting soon, using the cable twisting technique.

Bob

You are welcome to use the the picture below for engineering reference! :D

Prepared a few years ago!

546cea73-e664-4cf4-8ce3-e528574ddb6f_zps

That won't do.....it's not colour coded. :)

Dave

My peg flew off the choke knob about 4 years ago, flew past my ear and I didn't find it again until about two years later.

Since then the nut on the back of the choke came off and the cable sat for year or so hanging about three inches into the cockpit. Therefore, I had to adopt a new choking method as the cable was now useless.

Stand outside the car with the bonnet up and with the right hand, pull the choke cable at the carburetor. I am just long enough to be able to reach the key with the left hand to apply electricity to the starter motor. Works every time.

Even though I have now fixed the choke cable, I still use the 'wingspan method' as the nut was so troublesome to fit that I don't want to go through that pain again.

Dave.

As another option, bearing in mind the current employment/unemployment situation.

Can one not employ a 'minion' to hold the knob to the appropriate positions until warmed up?

Whereby, said minion is jettisoned from the vehicle and left at the roadside, rather like a 'Boris bike'??

Saves the bother of all that dreadful twisting business!!

Q. Anybody else watching Downton Abbey on ITV player??

I know this kids sacrilegious but I bought an MGB twist lock choke cable for about a third of a TR one and it works a treat

Graze