1974 - one key for all locks ?

Does a 1974 "6" have one key for all locks ? i.e one key for the ignition, doors and boot ?

(my 1981 spitfire had one key for the ignition and doors, but if I recall the boot lock had a separate ) key - On my "some where out to sea" US car, the seller has said there's only an ignition key - Do I need to get ready to change the door and/or boot locks ?

many thanks

Matt

Edited by mattyb

My '74 has 4 keys... Ignition, drivers door, passenger door & glove box/boot key.

Doubt that's standard though (hope it isn't)

Yeah. Figured there may have been a forced lock in the past during it's misspent youth in the UK. Dunno why they didn't just go through the roof though

+1 for Derek.

DubaiDave.

I once had a convertible Vitesse stolen, (which was 'locked').

One of the first queries (i.e reasons to avoid payout) the insurance company raised was, "was the car locked"???

Irrelevant, as the thief could've either reached over, or climbed over!!!!

So, the answer is..........

Matt,

Should have 3 keys, one ignition, one doors, one glove box/boot

cheers

Derek

Hi Derek,

That's weird - I have:

One for Ignition

One for passenger Door

One for Driver Door, Glove Box, Boot

I always thought the passenger door was a replacement - maybe the barrel got muddled up with the glove box at some point!? :wacko:

Regards,

Michael

Does a 1974 "6" have one key for all locks ? i.e one key for the ignition, doors and boot ?

(my 1981 spitfire had one key for the ignition and doors, but if I recall the boot lock had a separate ) key - On my "some where out to sea" US car, the seller has said there's only an ignition key - Do I need to get ready to change the door and/or boot locks ?

many thanks

Matt

In answer to your question, it would seem that only the ignition key is with the car this key is a steering lock key and doesn't fit the doors or boot (assuming US cars were equipped with steering locks !) However it is a relatively simple job to remove the key barrels from the various locks and get the key number from them, then you only need to source keys. At the same time of course you can inspect for wear and replace the barrel as well if needs be.

My 69er has 3 keys...but must confess I only ever locked the Boot (Trunk), as whats the point of locking the doors of an open top car?

Also as the early cars don't have that finger grip under the Glove box key hole, a thief would assume it was locked anyway...as regards the ignition key...any old keys fits it!

My first car was a J reg Capri, only needed one key for that...... My house Key opened doors and turned the ignition !

• 9 months later...

Matt,

Should have 3 keys, one ignition, one doors, one glove box/boot

cheers

Derek

+1 that's what I have