Alternative heater valve

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfrace you have just answered your own question.....................The price! That inline valve is on Ebay for about £16.50 TX1 Taxi heater water valve.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heater-Control-Valve-Kit-Car-Classic-Car-Taxi-TX1-/200924321876?hash=item2ec805d854

Stuart.

Stuart, I ordered as you suggested but when it arrived it doesn't have ant thread to connect to the block; it has a finished flange on the side which I would normally connect to the block. Have I ordered the wrong item on your link or is there a way of correcting. If I look at the Rimmer item is has a threaded hole in that same area.

Wolfie,

the Taxi valve (that you now have) is connected by two rubber hoses - one to the cylinder head (adaptor needed) and the other to the bulkhead heater pipes.

Not sure what Rimmers are doing.

The US Everco valve ($30) screws direct into the head but isn;t available here. Mail order only.

That's why I made my own.

Roger

PS - just read your post and looked at the Rimmer valve.

Same valve as you have but it comes with an adaptor for the head.

This can be easily cobbled together from a plumbers shop.

The head is 3/8BSP so you need a 3/8 to 1/2 BSP male/male adaptor you can then put a 15mm pipe into it. £3.

Edited by RogerH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Heater-Control-Valve-Heater-Valve-4-Seasons-74648-/271950328902#shpCntId

They ship to UK for 16USD.

Have this in use for years and it moves easy and regulates heat better than stock.

Another nice improvement for the TR!

It is from the International Scout.

As I posted some time before this is the valve that fits,

ships to Germany and surely to GB and I have it in use

Why don't you look into the earlier posts, Wolfrace?

Wolfie,

the Taxi valve (that you now have) is connected by two rubber hoses - one to the cylinder head (adaptor needed) and the other to the bulkhead heater pipes.

Not sure what Rimmers are doing.

The US Everco valve ($30) screws direct into the head but isn;t available here. Mail order only.

That's why I made my own.

Roger

PS - just read your post and looked at the Rimmer valve.

Same valve as you have but it comes with an adaptor for the head.

This can be easily cobbled together from a plumbers shop.

The head is 3/8BSP so you need a 3/8 to 1/2 BSP male/male adaptor you can then put a 15mm pipe into it. £3.

Thanks Roger, off-line for a little while so I'll check when I'm back. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the IH version of the valve from Rockauto. It appeared to be a very good price - significantly spoiled by

a). Taking 3 weeks to arrive

B). Being tabbed by customs and requiring and additional £12.30 ransom paying. The £ 4.30 VAT I can accept. The £ 8.00 "handling fee" imposed by RM however :o:angry::angry:

Oddly enough the shipping notice I had said it was sent Fedex..... clearly not!

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones

The £8.00 "Handling fee" by the post office is a real rip off, their excuse for it is they are paying the duty for you and then claiming off you. Sorry chaps I dont mind the duty but I will pay it myself!

Stuart.

• 5 months later...

Hi all

After looking at all of the above i've gone for the same one as TriumphV8, but using the uk EBay site rather than the US site.

The bonus is its slightly cheaper at $30 plus $16 shipping (£33) and no import costs due to the Ebay GSP (Global Shipping Programme) which give no import cocts on certain items between UK and US.

Just search for "HVAC Heater Control Valve-Heater Valve 4 Seasons 74648"

or try here. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HVAC-Heater-Control-Valve-Heater-Valve-4-Seasons-74648-/321893287560?hash=item4af255c688:g:FE0AAOSw9mFWHimj

Cheers

Keith

• 2 months later...

Hi all

After looking at all of the above i've gone for the same one as TriumphV8, but using the uk EBay site rather than the US site.

The bonus is its slightly cheaper at $30 plus $16 shipping (£33) and no import costs due to the Ebay GSP (Global Shipping Programme) which give no import cocts on certain items between UK and US.

Just search for "HVAC Heater Control Valve-Heater Valve 4 Seasons 74648"

or try here. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HVAC-Heater-Control-Valve-Heater-Valve-4-Seasons-74648-/321893287560?hash=item4af255c688:g:FE0AAOSw9mFWHimj

Cheers

Keith

Hi guys sorry if this is a stupid question but will this fit a TR4?

Cheers

Andy

Hi All,

My original heater valve lasted over 35 years so I went to Moss for a replacement! Without thinking too much I purchased a replacement from them for approx £15, its not an OEM part, as I found out later. I fitted this and it lasted one season before it started leaking. So back to Moss it went, when I complained, they said that they may have some of the original OEM expensive ones at £35. I went for one of these and that was 4 years ago, its still going strong. So Moss did have 2 types?

Then Moss came out with their classic stock answer:: Most people will not pay the higher price! My stock answer: How many times do I want to do the same job?

​Bruce.

So why aren't one of our parts people getting them in ?

Are they not available from the parts bin in the UK for which ever vehicle they were intended for ?

So why aren't one of our parts people getting them in ?

Are they not available from the parts bin in the UK for which ever vehicle they were intended for ?

They are for a 60`s US car originally never available over here.When the Dollar rate is sensible I buy a batch in.

Stuart.

Neil was spot on, bought same valve from US supplier, worked out almost same price as the diaphragm type sourced from the well known UK source in Lincoln. Brilliant bit of kit and it's a straight no hassle swop, providing you have some washing up liquid to help ease the pipe over the larger inlet, it does go though.

post-3414-0-24274800-1465812760_thumb.jpg

Many years ago a friend said "Go down to the local scrap yard anf get a Golf GTI heater valve, they fit." Unfortunately I don't have any details anymore. Perhaps they do fit.

• 2 months later...

Good day Gents,

I decided to take the long way home last evening after work...beautiful cool dry evening, good for a nice run to Horseshoe Bay on the North Shore of Vancouver. It was fantastic...a nice 30kms run at about 100kph...nice tunes, nice exhaust note! Coming back felt a little cold, so I turned on the heater. When I reached a traffic light and stopped, there was steam coming under the hood (or bonnet). The temp guage remained steady so I quickly made it home and looked in the engine bay. The heater valve was leaking. When I shut off the heater, (ie: push the heater control knob in) the leaking stops. I see this is a well documented event for many TR6 owners, and there are many good replacement parts/ideas.

My question is: if I keep the heater off, ie: the "heater knob" pushed in, is that going to hold? Or can it also eventually spring a leak in the closed position? I have a few days of good weather, and I still want to go out for drives. I'm hoping to hold off doing the heater valve replacement until the car is put away for the season.

Any and all suggestion/advice/opinion is welcomed.

Cheers,

Thank you Pete and Roger,

I will accept your thoughts and not chance it. Now, do I actually need to drain the cooling system to do the swap to the new valve? I am leery of removing that plug on the side of the engine. Could I just drain the system from the radiator?

Hi Ali,

I think it is similar to the 4/4A so you should be able to remove the rubber pipe from the valve and drain a small amount off.

The valve comes out and the new valve goes in.

The only concern is removing the valve and adaptor (#69 & 70  http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/engine/cylinder-head-fittings/cylinder-head-assemblies.html).

Perhaps the adaptor does not need to come out.

Roger

Stan's post #2 shows the adaptor still place.

Edited by RogerH

Its a straight drop in swap but I always recommend fitting a new hose to it from the bulkhead so it will be supple enough to go over the larger outlet.

Stuart.