It fits! But, not sure if I should paint it

My new, aluminium cowl fits

Still needs some final bend tweeks, but, its OK.

I know I could have bought one from that clever bloke on ebay, and that it would have been a more precision finish and fit, but, I spent 4 happy days fettling away in the workshop and must have saved at least twenty quid.

Not sure whether I should spray it gloss black, or leave it au naturale, so, will leave it for a while and see how I feel.

Ed

There are 3 parts.

The O/S side piece comes off, then the top lifts off, finally, the N/S assembly is lifted out.

It happens this way because the position of the radiator overflow bottle holder means the N/S piece has to come out vertically

I have made the cowl a full copy of the original, so the N/S piece has a base (pictures attached)

The blind rivets hold 1/2" ali angle, into which I have screwed and fixed (with studlok) M4 x 12mm long set screws.

The top is drilled to fit and the whole is assembled with chrome dome nuts, flat and shake proof washers

Edited by wjgco

You did nice work, no doubt.

As to the current finish, keeping it bright and shiny was the only objection I had to my store bought one.

It came on the car, so I really wasn't given a choice...until recently.

When the opportunity presented itself to replace it (compliments of the insurer) I went with a black powder coated version.

John

I fabricated something very similar on my TR6 last year and have been very pleased with end result, prefer the un painted natural finish as it matches valve cover.

Hope this helps

Andy

post-13335-0-91400400-1437855644_thumb.jpg

Andy

That's pretty

I had hoped to fold my corners, but, don't have the tools to make that length of 90° fold cleanly

My rocker cover is a cast, black 'Triumphtune' item, thus my conundrum

FWIW-I was going to say keep it unpainted but I tend to agree with you: match the rocker cover.

+1 for black.

john

all the folds were completed using black and decker workmate with pre cut lengths of wood to achieve bend clearance .

tend to agree, match the valve cover, although not sure how well paint will adhere to alloy unless you get it anodised

Andy

not sure how well paint will adhere to alloy unless you get it anodised Andy

That's what I was thinking, too.

Paint will be susceptible to chipping, flaking, scratching, scouring, scrubbing, rubbing, sliding abrasive contact, grating, rasping, and other such scraping predicaments. :)

Would probably be a simple matter to "touch-up", though.

Edited by Sapphire72

All

Very many thanks for the advice . . . . food for thought.

I was trying to think what the cowl reminded me of and Rob is right, it has a bit of a 'kit car' feel to it.

I do like polished ali though!

I have trimmed the cowl edges with 'U' section silicone trim in black, rated to 200°C

I am concerned about paint staying on the ali. As Roger suggests, I am thinking etch primer, if I go down the 'paint it' route, but, I am still unsure about what to put on top of the primer.

I have some high temperature engine paint (gloss) which I have used on the plenum with a thin coat also put on the top of the radiator. But it is gloss and I worry about that area of gloss in the engine bay.

Hammerite came to mind, but I'm not sure if there is a satin black option available, have to nose around their web site I guess.

Anything I use will have to cope with the 100°C+ possible at the top of the radiator.

If you must have it coloured I'd go for powder coat. It'll be much more resilient to the odd dropped spanner. Polished would look best though IMO. Nothing kit car about it as you've made such a nice job.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

We have decided to leave the cowl polished, until the end of the summer, then look at it again.

I have investigated powder coating and it seems that between £45 & £80 will get the job done locally, so, I have the option.

However, I noticed last week, that the pipe to the radiator overflow bottle was scratching the polished aluminium. . . . . grrrrrr.

I have restrained the pipe, off the cowl, using a std 'P' clip, a 4mm x 16mm long stainless steel cheese headed set screw a std nut and a chrome dome nut.

I have not yet run this mod up to cruising temperature, so don't know how much 'sag' the heat will induce in the pipe.

We will see this weekend.

My knee jerk is that it looks OK and, when /if I powdercoat the cowl, it will still work

Edited by wjgco

John

Restraining the overflow pipe is a great idea, mine rubs on the polished SS so I fitted an adhesive soft faced spacer to stop it

Looks very smart

Graze

Hi john, Congratulation for the job done. Have you draw and kept the associated template for this very nice air duct?

Regards

Marc

I used the old 'card' cowl as my template, however, it would not take long to produce a set of brown paper templates, if anyone was interested.

I can also email close up photos of the joints

Thanks john; , no issue for the tempmate I shall borrow a air duct set, nevertheless some close up pictures/photo are welcome.

Regards

I have to realign the bonnet to balance the shut lines.

This is going to be done in the next few days, so, I will do the pictures whilst I have the cowl out.