Next project is fitting a hood I got from Robbins in about 1993 and never installed. It has the single window and the material still seems new and supple. One problem is that the clear window material has developed some faint brownish spots that don't seem to wipe off. Another is that the webbing on my hood sticks is long gone. So, two questions: 1) How hard is it to change out the rear window (it is put in with a heat seam, not stitches); and 2) can someone give me a photo of the web fixings at the forward most part of the hood sticks and at the rear most part behind the capping rail. I want to see how the ends are finished.

Thanks, and Cheers!

Dan

Hi Dan,

I suggest that you talk to Robbins about a replacement window. You could try Starbrite Mildew remover, could be staining from the tissue paper usually between the window and the hood fabric to prevent scratching.

Here's a pic of the rear webbing ends are heated and melt fused. each attached by a plate with two screws in each.

P9090092.jpg

P9090090.jpg

Edited by Rodbr

I have also used some some incredibly effective polish on a rear window in a convertible. I will try and find the details and post them here.

Rgds Ian

Found it! It was called 'Hindsight', the following link will take you to their site. As I said above it is incredibly effective and I would be very surprised if it didn't sort your window and a lot easier than trying to insert a new one.

http://www.hindsightuk.com/

Edited by Ian Vincent

For the front end of the webbing if your clever bring the webbing right round the tube and under the fixing plate again, bit of a faff but means you dont have a bare end hanging out from under the plate.

Stuart.

A question about the plate that secures the webbing to the rear deck. Is that plate the same as the ones used to secure the webbing to the hood stick bows and what is the finish ?. ie is it chromed, painted body color or painted black ?

Stan

Stan

No idea but the one's I got from Moss was chrome

Chrome would be nice.. I see Moss Europe shows the same part number for the plates on the hood sticks and the plate on the rear deck so they must all be the same. I'll call the US Moss on Monday and see if the ones they supply are also chrome.

Stan

Hi Edwin,

I don't think on the early TR2s' like yours and mine that there was a definitive method but FWIW mine were also painted body colour. My 3a was and is black and the webbing plates are zinc plated and then painted with a good Nickel like colour. Chrome can be a bit much on some things. A tip would be to use stainless screws as the original steel ones can leave rust spots on the canvas which you don't notice till you take the hood off. Condensation and damp get trapped between the hood and frame and doesn't dry out as quickly as the rest of the material.

rgds

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

Nice job, Nice car, Love the car in black and my 3a is black.

I had a similar issue with the hood curve over the door top and the section door rear to top. I found that using a hand held steamer I could get the shape better, not that yours is bad.

The worst bit for me is the last fitting at the door where it tends to pull and radiate a crease. I have thought about trying to glue a panel of material to spread the load, stitching a panel would not improve it I think.

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/Rodbr/media/P5300099.jpg.html

Dan

Don´t forget to leave the first hoop free of the webbing, it makes getting the hood up easier with that hoop well forward, when all up, push that hoop back to tension the lot.

Dave

I am considering shortening my webbing a bit by moving back the anchoring point on the forward-most bow, in order to lift that bow up a bit and provide a little more tension when the hood is up. This would result in the forward-most hood bow being supported and lifted by the strap, sitting short of the extreme end of its natural range. Is it ok if the front hood stick does not open up all the way because it is stopped by the strap?

Cheers

Dan

Dan.

The front hoop is supposed to be supported by the webbing - adjustment of all the section lengths of webbing is the way to align

the hoops with the seams in the hood fabric. By the way current thinking is to NOT attach the rearmost hoop to the webbing at all,

then you can erect the hood with the rear hoop up against the next one, then push the rear hoop rearwards to tension up the fabric.

Bob.

mmmm ? I thought so, just couldn't get it t lock. I will have t check, the frame is off for re-spraying and the hood is in the bedroom cupboard warming up for a few weeks ready for when the hardtop comes off for re-lining - I will update in a few weeks

I think I know what you mean - with the rear hoop up against the next one the whole frame will very easily go over centre, & flip rearwards.

You just have to hold it upright while you are pushing the rear hoop backwards. It's a knack you will soon learn !

Bob.