Fuel tank

Good evening all

This weekend after a PRV cleaning,( trying to sort uneven fuel supply) noticed some rust under the foam pads and decided to have a go and as soon I it the rust....found my self on dutch dam situation....

Now what is the best option,

A Try to weld the hole and use the tank etching fluid ?

B Order a new tank from Moss?

Some links on teh forum are welcome

Thank you

Jose

Depends on the girth of your wallet.

Minor repairs would have you subconciously wondering whether another pinhole might develop when you are out in the boondocks.

New tank would have you happy and carefree, with fuel tank leaks well and truly crossed off the 'worry list'.

New or good second tank. They do come up on eBay or try the usual suspects, Trgb, trbitz etc. Alternative alloy tanks seem quite popular but not with all, there was a discussion recently on alloy. I got a good second hand one for about £70, clean inside and out, its been in for 6 months without issue.

Really you don't want to be thinking about welding,

if you don't know what you are doing, VERY Dangerous

First choice would be a new or replacement tank,

Second and inexpensive choice would be a repair with some of the two part specific

petrol tank compounds.

John.

I posted the ebay link, from a closer look its been repainted (see the workbench its on) but the seller sells other car bits so should be OK, suggest that you mail him with some queries if youre interested, and perhaps get a quote to ship to you. Postage in UK seems to be free but 'buyer ' pays returns.

Really you don't want to be thinking about welding,

if you don't know what you are doing, VERY Dangerous

John.

Ditto that, please don't weld a fuel tank... A & E are overwhelmed as it is, I know an experienced welder who tried it he is now scared for life but lucky to be alive

I'm in the US, but I bought a tank from Victoria British, and It was a perfect fit.

If I remember, it wasn't too expensive, and to my surprise, it had 4 baffles in it, which helps the fuel from sloshing towards one side of the car

during hard cornering.

Perfect for my autocross events.

George.

Ditto that, please don't weld a fuel tank... A & E are overwhelmed as it is, I know an experienced welder who tried it he is now scared for life but lucky to be alive

I've welded part of mine and we are both still here.

The warnings like that above are good though, make you have a good think about what you are doing.

Prior to welding I gave it a good flush with water and a good blow through with compressed air.

Persuaded by warnings such as Daz's I connected a vacuum cleaner to the filler hole while I did the welding. Hopefully and remaining (unlikely?) fumes went into the v/c.

Persuaded by warnings such as Daz's I connected a vacuum cleaner to the filler hole while I did the welding. Hopefully and remaining (unlikely?) fumes went into the v/c.

Not sure that's such a good idea Jim. Fuel vapour and electric motor = Bang, usually :o .

Maybe you have Wallaby powered vacuums in Oz though.

Jerry

So I understand, the vacuum cleaner exploded.... :o plastic doesn't hurt as much as steel, and it's probably not as close to your face.

A friend of mine got seriously burned on his face and arms during a tank welding operation... necessitated a few years of skin transplants and you still can see the scars all over his face.. :(

In my view a new tank is the only option, realize what's inside is just a few levels below napalm..

well never expected such a comon issue:-)

further investigation inside revealed tin splash about 25cents size that were blocking fuel flow, but rather clean some minor rust at the botom and no more pin holes outside.

First a quick repair with that putty, them replace tank after the seasons bank refill :-):-)

thank you all

Not sure that's such a good idea Jim. Fuel vapour and electric motor = Bang, usually :o .

Maybe you have Wallaby powered vacuums in Oz though.

Jerry

I was pretty confident my preliminaries had done the job, and decided to suck instead of blow (using the compressor).#

Main thing is to get rid of the petrol and its fumes before making lots of sparks in/on it.

We're still burning coal instead of waballies.

# did puff a lot of air through it beforehand too, as well as letting the beautiful Oz sun* have a go for a while.

* for you blokes over there, big yellow ball we see in the sky each day here.

Edited by littlejim

* for you blokes over there, big yellow ball we see in the sky each day here.

You can go off some people!!!

Happy New Year

kc

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Summer 1976 in the UK was a ripper. Plus with the twilight (we don't get here) lots of people had lots of fun in the evening.

post-9419-0-70697600-1420154915_thumb.jpgpost-9419-0-02053900-1420154854_thumb.jpgpost-9419-0-53899900-1420154870_thumb.jpg

Just a update,

The pin hole and "debris" from previous owner(s) that was stoping fuel flow...

(no the euro is just t check, not yet in the tank)

Outside tank rust; the foam pads absorved hall the moisture available, all the way from the tank cap, check it before is too late.

Back in place this weekend, and them whait for a new replacement tank

Enjoy 2015, also with TR6