HI All,

BUGGER, testing the cooling system after fitting new fan, and the dam radiator has spring a leak. The old fan was fitted with through the core ties, think I may have damaged it removing them. So I am not best pleased with myself, even though I was carefull.

With Le Mans coming up in a couple weeks I need a replacement, havent got the time to get this one recored, need one off the shelf.

Can anyone recommend a supplier, is it worth going the ally route.?

Thanks

GUy

Guy

I have a 'spare' rad that I'm pretty sure is okay if you're interested?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the thought Ian.

Its appreciated, but I think I should take this opportunity to replace it with a brand new one, if ally rads do improve the cooling by 35%{tr shop} 1.5 times {Revington} its got to be worth a punt.

Theres Serek, Radtec, Tr Shop, Revington, Racetorations, and others havent got that far yet.

Cheers

Guy

I took out the Wizard Cooling aluminum radiator on my TR3 the other day in favor of a re-cored original. The Al rad was part, I felt, of persistent overheading issues. The combination of a better fan and different radiator seems to have helped -- at 35C the other day it ran just slightly hot, but stayed under control.

The old one would have puked as it overheated. Either a combination of smaller tanks or lower flow -- I'm not sure, and in fact it may just be good joss and a better fan blade -- but the car's happier now.

No more aluminum radiators for me.

...seems there have been a few issues...

Guy, I can only speak from my experience with Wizard Cooling here in the US, but I won't recommend their products. In addition to the apparently smaller tank volume and questionable efficiency, the first one they sent me had the outlet for the top tank in the wrong place -- it wouldn't line up with the thermostat housing. Turns out they subcontract out some production and the sub couldn't read the drawings. They did replace it with one that fit, at least.

i-JwgR4Tj-L.jpg

I have a Serck Motorsport Ali radiator. If it's good enough for McLaren etc.

Pete,

Strangely it was your experience, third time lucky that put me off. Cant be doing with all that faffing sending rads back and forth across the Channel. AND with my luck these last few months thats what would happen.

Ps revotec fan cuts in auto mode and off, so thats a result.

Don,

Not a good fit for sure.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy, I bought direct from serck in Hayes where their motorsport dept is. I've a 16 " ken low puller fitted. Just been to Laon and temp well into mid 30's. Stuck in heavy traffic on the Sunday for about 1 1/2 hrs stop and start. No probs at all

Just to add Serck put on on 4 tabs for the kenlow to fit directly to, so no tabs through the core.

They supply Revington, well they did about 5 years ago when I got it.

Steve

Ps Neil I don't think the moss red is a serck...looks different to mine.

Edited by whatmore179

Depending where you are, a chap here in kenilworth recored mine in 3 days for just over 100 quid.

Cheers Tim

Guy

Is there someone on the rock that can recore it for you.

Failing that I have just bought one from DMG (david manners) £125) made in Portugal

I have spent my life designing industrial air to fluid and refrigerant heat exchangers, a heat exchanger made with aluminium primary and secondary surfaces with the same geometry as the copper will not theoretically perform any better at all.

There are any number of arguments that consider the thermal performance of the material used as the thermal conductivity of copper and aluminium for instance are different. However the factors that influences the performance are the heat transfer coefficient ( boundary resistance) and that is a function of the contact between the fluid and the internal surface and the air and the external surface. The internal coefficient is a reliable function the external, between air and secondary surface is not so reliable as the air velocity is always changing in a motor vehicle.

My advice is stick to OEM design

Guy, I can only speak from my experience with Wizard Cooling here in the US, but I won't recommend their products. In addition to the apparently smaller tank volume and questionable efficiency, the first one they sent me had the outlet for the top tank in the wrong place -- it wouldn't line up with the thermostat housing. Turns out they subcontract out some production and the sub couldn't read the drawings. They did replace it with one that fit, at least.

i-JwgR4Tj-L.jpg

Now I could be wrong but I think your picture is of a radiator for TR2 with the big centrally mounted thermostat housing.

Owners of the first 1301 TR 's please step forward......

Cheers

Peter W

My radiator was leaking and I looked at the alu option but went for recore of the original radiator, I thought that if it had been on the car for 44 years it was probably doing a good job. I think I paid £125 which I think is reasonable compared to forking out several times that for a new alu radiator.

I chatted to the guy who did my radiator and he actually advised strongly against aluminium radiators as they are much more brittle and would crack open much easier if hit by a little flying stone.

In this case I think the original design is superior, it often is! :)

Edited by TRseks