Weber manifold for the 4-pot engine. Please educate me.

Every now and then, I start thinking about a pair of Webers for my TR. In the past, we discussed the pros and cons of the 40 or 45 version, let alone the 42 version...

I can get my hands on a pair of 40s and a pair of 45s. But I'm still on a fence. One of the items needed is a new manifold. I've read stories of ill-fitting Moss manifolds that need a lot of tinkering before they fit properly.

Now, what's there to learn about proper manifolds for the 4-pot engine? I've even considered welding my own. Or is that too bold.....?

Menno

Weberising is a bit out of fashion, Mikunising seems to be the new hip....

The kit fits the standard TR4 and TR4A manifolds in the examples so should work the same for TR3.

http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html

MOSS just started selling those kits for MGs, likely to follow for TRs if the product sells well. Pricey as compared to the above though...

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=22876

Edited by Geko

Hi Menno,

you need Webers like a hole in the wallet.

If you tune your exisiting engine to the max, then yes eventually your SUs might run out of ability to fuel the engine.

Meanwhile Webers are unnecessary. They're not even desirable, they are Italian. Or worse, Spanish.

Cheers

Alec

Weberising is a bit out of fashion, Mikunising seems to be the new hip....

The kit fits the standard TR4 and TR4A manifolds in the examples so should work the same for TR3.

http://www.v-performance.com/products/air_fuel.html

MOSS just started selling those kits for MGs, likely to follow for TRs if the product sells well. Pricey as compared to the above though...

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=22876

I see your point...

Barnhart_DSCN0318.jpg

Barnhart_DSCN0317.jpg

a quick look on the website seems to tell that you can use the standard manifold... Now that's interesting!

Menno

Why not 4 Amals or Reece Fish carbs?

Or go the whole hog with SU DU6 twin chokes? - Talk to Paul Hogan or anyone involved in Cooper racing cars.

du61.jpg

Taken from a web page http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4028

My brother has a pair of Weber 42 s on an ex USA single solid inlet for TR 3-4. If you want some dimensions PM me.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

You need these DU6 on a road car like a fish needs a motorbike !

Bloody awful to run in mid range but had the advantage of a big hole when used under "full chat" like when they were used on the Cooper F1 cars with the FPF engine at 14,000 revs.

I raced my TR4 in 1987 at Donington in the 6 hour relay race and used a pair of these, very sluggish in the 3500/4000 area ( charming...typical balancing revs mid corner for exit) and then the power came in like gangbusters above this area. They were that unpleasant to drive I was actually glad when my stint in the team was over, we immediately changed the carbs back to the 1 3/4 SUs for the following days race in the championship.

Given that the DU6s had been set up in an afternoon it may be that a lot of rolling road time could be beneficial in getting them to run smoother, and the extra length inlet manifold (11" long !) we were experimenting with exacerbated the revs at which the DUs came on song. But when you consider that the reason these DU6 carbs were available, (there were only about 85 carbs made in total ) was that back in the early 60s the Cooper racers realised that the Weber was a much nicer carb and easier to tune and removed their DU6s and replaced them with Webers.

Perhaps they had a point !

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

FWIW I think Phil Tucker has finally managed to get his set of DU6`s running right on his TR3s rep but then it is running a Fiat twin cam engine. :wacko:

Stuart.

Webers would be the first order of business if I ever get another 4-pot, not to gainsay anything above; it's just that I'm a total convert from the S.U. / Stromberg philosophy ( though they served me just fine on stock engines, 4 and 6 pots ). Cam, exhaust and headwork too in the mix of course.

As for what's fashionable, I reckon Webers are as fashionable as anything TR and always were. After all, what that's Italian isn't ^_^? Then again, fashion isn't for everyone, nor was it necessarily a priority for TRIUMPH aside from mercenary reasons.

Hardly dare ask but if we're going away from 'period' carbs, has anyone fitted modern motorbike carbs on a TR engine?

Dunno if it's one of us, but this looks good! (click on the pic for large)

Copy%20of%20DSCN1126.JPG

btw, what's the digital gizmo in the left corner of the pic above?

Another pic, with another choke cable set-up

TR-4A%20Custom%20cable%20chokes%20for%20

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Dunno if it's one of us, but this looks good! (click on the pic for large)

Copy%20of%20DSCN1126.JPG

btw, what's the digital gizmo in the left corner of the pic above?

Another pic, with another choke cable set-up

TR-4A%20Custom%20cable%20chokes%20for%20

The guy - Jim Gray- is a yank registered on a competitor's forum. There's a tread where he is sharing is experience including pics and schematics. Interstingly, he also provides hints about how to save costs and where to source the various parts from if not buying the whole kit from one single supplier (US) http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?7,731964

The gizmo looks like an amp/voltage stabilizer

Edited by Geko

FWIW I think Phil Tucker has finally managed to get his set of DU6`s running right on his TR3s rep but then it is running a Fiat twin cam engine. :wacko:

Stuart.

Sorry Stuart, I think you'll find it is based upon an Alfa GTV 2000 engine (which could be called a Fiat twin cam because they own Alfa Romeo).

Rgds Ian