TR4 Clutch renewal

As the Gearbox is comming out (again) this week , I am considering putting in a new spring clutch, I have tried a new clutch in a fellow group members TR3a ( a winner at Malvern ) and it was so much lighter than mine

which would be very good for my comfort . There are some old Borg and Beck cover plates and release bearings on eBay , would this be a better route ?

Your thoughts most welcome !!!

Cheers

Trevor

What clutch did the car you drove have?

You will probably be looking for Borg and Beck part number HK9788 which is the part number for the 3 piece clutch kit.

Peter W

When I bought 4VC in 1969, it had a competition clutch. This was a killer on the left leg if I had to hold the clutch disengaged for any length of time.

When the car was re-built in the early 1990s, Neil recommended and fitted a TR6 diaphragm clutch, which is a vast improvement in that it takes the power (about 135-140 BHP) yet is so much lighter to operate.

Of course, it requires a different release bearing, but I don't know what else (if anything) changes.

Ian Cornish

If I remember rightly don't you need the tr4a flywheel as well to take the diaphram cover.

Still well worth doing.

If you are looking for a lighter clutch pedal then you are looking to go down the TR4A to Tr6 route with the diaphram rather than a spring clutch as TR4.

Gearbox is unchanged, you need the three peices of the 4A onwards clutch, plus either a 4A flywheel, OR your flywheel redrillled to take the 4A cover, - simple machine shop job.

As you are on a gearbox out mission, and looking for a lighter pedal, then this is really a no brainer.

If you were not removing the gearbox, then I think you can sort servo assistance for the original clutch.

John.

Thanks for all your replies, I think I will investigate the TR4a route , I 'me always afraid of opening a can of worms though !!

I remember reading that the quality of these clutches was suspect, any suggestions as to where is the best place to source it from.

Trevor,

there was a batch of three fingered plates on the diaphram clutch, don't think there are any left about now,

also on a TR4 you don't need the expensive Laycock assembly Borg and Beck are fine,

If you want clarification on this ring me, details back of the mag - Cumbria Group.

John.

Hi Trevor ~

I was lucky enough to buy a Laycock pressure plate from TR Bitz. It replaced the heavy spring clutch on my 3A.

The first diaphragm clutch I fitted wouldn't work at all. I had to remove the gearbox three times! The clutch didn't

have a makers name and John Sykes came to my rescue.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Trevor,

If you do swop to the later type clutch, you will need to shorten the main shaft front cover extension.

The TR4 item is 2.3/8" in overall length.

The TR4A part is 2" in overall length.

See Moss catalogue, page 28, item 57.

Regards, Richard

Hi all, had a long chat with the people from Somerset who were most patient with a novice like me, they thought a well operating spring clutch should not be too heavy

and they only do exchange TR4a one's and so I still need to source a good diaphram clutch.

The thought that it might not work like yours Tom scares me a lot.

Point noted Richard.

I will give you a ring later in the week John, I'm off for a jolly to Calais tomorrow to stock up for xmas !!!

Cheers,

Trevor

Hopefully all the prep work is done and the gearbox will be out with a little help on Monday.

I have gone down the Borg and Beck route after chatting to TR Bitz , who reckon the Laycock ,

is only really needed when going into a 6.

If anyone knows a good machine shop in Kent I will certainly look at a little lightening and balancing.

Richard thanks for the pointer on the main shaft extension cover, I have been told it only applies to very early TR4's

but I will check .

Cheers,

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

have to be careful with the clutch plate, i brought a bargain new one at the triumph spares day, my fault for not giving it a good look over as it was one of 3 fingered plates,only noticed when placing it on my spares rack ,needless to say it went straight into the bin ,

• 2 weeks later...

The car is all back together now. I drove it 25 miles home from my brothers garage where we carried out the work as it's a double and he has power !!!

The gear changes are very good and the overdrive goes in very smoothly no 'Donk' anymore , Thank-you Mr Cox.

Pleased also with the clutch operation too.

Thanks for all your helpful replies and phone calls.

Just a couple more jobs to do then out on some 12 car rallies soon..

Merry Christmas everyone ,

Trevorpost-1266-0-56641100-1385568505_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-56641100-1385568505_thumb.jpg

Edited by trevor