There's a clue both in the title and the dirty great Ford V6 wasted spark unit sitting between alternator & distributor....!

Our man did not want an electronic tacho, preferring to bounce the needle off its stop instead, and also declined to butcher the distributor to leave just the tacho drive. The PI pedestal is about be replaced with a carb one & the flux capacitor wires will be shortened & tidied.

The throttle response on the bike carbs is rather impressive & they even clear the RHD column (by 0.5").

That's very neat.

I like the idea of the modern 'digital' ignition, although the distributor cap does look strange without leads.

I also like the look of the alternator install, could you let us know what alternator it is Stan as well as the source of the bracket?

Steve

The alternator's from a Nissan Micra, standard issue Nippondenso, with earlier "A" groove pulley, rather than the serpentine later type.

It's all but identical to the, er, racing units sold at over double the money.

Sorry, I don't have a part number, but will be taking the car back to Bogg Bros rolling road in Malton next week with a larger fuel pump, so I'll check out the alternator & bracket then.

Initial runs showed 170BHP at the wheels at 5500RPM; 6600 is the current ceiling, so we shall see what happens with more top-end fuel available.

Then all the usual arguments about roller calibration, VE figures, spurious transmission losses, and so on ad nauseam, will doubtless surface. Let's hear it for the armchair tuners!

Cheers etc

SPMPW

Interesting calculator.

My experience of direct comparison between engine dyno and chassis dyno (rolling road) figures is limited to rwd cars, so I can't comment on the fwd and 4wd calculations, but checking some past TR figures of which I still have detail the calculator seems to correspond remarkably closely. For those with o/d fitment, the old rule of thumb is that the overdrive soaks up an additional 1bhp/1000rpm.

Cheers

Alec

Yup, that's pretty close to what we see on the Motoscope Dastek rollers.

High score there is 252/209 on Joe Henderson's TR6, a figure always scorned by the mathematicians that don't understand the more empirical aspects of tuning & have probably never even driven a proper race car.

Actual track results & times mean the most, of course; step forward Josh Files, Mark Campbell, Joe H, Karl Wetherell et al.

Boasting is not my style, so it's time to shaddupa me face....

SPMPW

Yes- EFI does not interest me.

If lower emissions & a few more MPG get you moist, so be it, spend thousands to save pennies.

Same as spending a grand on an unleaded conversion, then driving 200 miles a year, when cheap fuel additives do the job.

The mods to this engine have been done purely for fun (anyone here remember that?). Power & response, not Vorsprüng durch laptop, are the goal.

And, worst of all, the cost was around 2/3 that of the usual 3 x 45DCOE route, never mind proper Jenvey-bodied EFI.

The ignition's a separate issue; it's fab & such a pleasure to be rid of every Lucas component on an engine...

How's your 6 these days?

The ignition's a separate issue; it's fab & such a pleasure to be rid of every Lucas component on an engine...

I have to agree there Wolf....... the Megajolt system is excellent, tuneable for any engine, instant start, draws a 2 inch spark if you pull a plug lead off! I have to admit to carrying the original leads around in the boot somewhere, but have never needed them.(the dizzy cap is usually fitted too)

computer_zps94318df8.jpg

P1040155_zps6f80b594.jpg

Edited by johnny250

0.028"-0.030" gaps are just fine.

We use NGK BPR7EVX to be safe; their life appears to be practically unlimited.

Regular BP6ES & BP7ES very rarely have any issues, but of course you get what you pay for. The very best are the bench-tested Denso race plugs at well over £20 each- just the job for that DFV in the daily shopper.

Avoid Champion in any shape or form- period.

Put mega jolt on a lotus twincam and I have to say it made a big difference, but then the dizzy was knackered. Did like the way you could sort the map at low revs to stabilise idle. The twin dellortos on the élan always stuggled to hold a low idle.

Cheers

Tim

Hi SPMPW,

Joe Hensersons 6, before he sold it was a joy to watch, absolute beast. Mark Campbells TR5 is equally as exciting, and would say it is one of the quickest in Europe.

Megajolt and Mikunis looks interesting. I have a very modified 6, and always interested in stuff like this. Very interested to see what results you achieve once fuel pump changed.

What bore size is it running. ?

Would like to see the car in the flesh.

Cheers.

Edited by TRTOM2498PI

Hi Tom,

The bore's +0.040", with JE forged pistons.

The car lives near Thirsk, North Yorkshire & is usually on view at Richard's workshop, or occasionally at Cleveland meets. It's at Croft next Friday also.

We're about to start on a new 6-3-1 exhaust manifold design, as he now wants more power!

It's a great shame Joe H has stopped racing, though there is a chance we'll see him again before too long.

Cheers etc

SPMPWJW

Hi Jon,

Yes, I heard from Chris Petch or Mike Hughes that Joe may return when I was at Oulton two weeks ago. He was a joy to watch. I will have to pop over, very interested to see car.

I have the bunch of bananas race manifold on mine, that wraps around the steering colmun, with 2.5" exhaust system.

Is it on a track day at Croft. ?

I was at Silverstone GP last Monday in mine, as Donington GP tomorrow.

Cheers.

Where did you get the clock from Jonny 250 and is it separate battery powered.

Looks big enough to read easily.Like it.

Regards Harry.

It's from a Russian MIG29 Harry .....wind-up (8 day?) with stop watch etc.... there are a couple of electric terminals on the back, but i assume they are illumination (24Volts or something i seem to remember). From a 'collectors fair' in Doncaster many years ago.....

john

Edited by johnny250