Hi everyone, I recently read a thread about door gaps having an 'apparent' massive influence on the selling price of a 6 depending on which side of the fence you sit. I write this, not with tonque in cheek but as a serious question does it really matter what colour red a car is? For example I am rebuilding or rather bringing back to life a 1970 CP Tr6 which on the vin plate says colour 17 trim 11, for those that have seen my work (i have restored two previous sixes and for my sins MG midget for a mate which is a whole new story) and I know i'm not in the big boys league. I try to restore sympathetically repairing, where possible and replacing with new parts as little as possible so that the car retains as much originality as can be, yet being safe and having what we might call 'recognised upgrades. inertia seat belts poly bushes etc. So as we know 17 is Damson Red and the interior of the car is infact that colour, someone previously has done a pretty rubbish 'blow over' in another red on the exterior so the bodywork is being stripped back if I changed the Red to say 32 Signal red how much influence would this have on the price??

I am not keeping the car once finished as the financial manager has said that It needs to go

A. to fund my other restoration projects (TR5, TR7FHC, Lotus Elan+2)

B. I need the space!

On the V5 it just says RED. By the way my door gaps will be peeeeerfect!

Edited by elclem1

In my opinion, for what it's worth, as long as the car is all the same colour then the actual colour would make no difference to it's intrinsic value. Buyer preferences will have an effect on saleability - from time to time according to fashion. To keep things straight you will need to get a new VIN plate reflecting the new red.

To keep things straight you will need to get a new VIN plate reflecting the new red.

But being pedantic - and there are people out there that originalitymeans a great deal, if the Commission plate was changed to reflect the change in colour (even if another 'shade' of red as in this case) and then the new owner 'discovered from a BMIHT trace that the original colour was different to the Commission plate, I am sure issues would be raised. Surely, any such change should be catalogued/recorded at the time and suitably declared or whatever to avoid later 'embarassment' or suchlike... Many cars go through a colour change in their lives, though whether this change is reflected on all Commission plates i doubt it - at least a knowledgeable prespective purchaser can easily establish the original colour quite easily is the plate is retained.

Just my tuppenceworth...

Cheers

Good point Ian - I like a VIN plate which reflects the current colour and is straight with reality, and I like a VIN plate that represents the original colour and is straight with Heritage. But which is best? Only one way to find out...

As to Elclem's original point about effects on value though?

It probably is all down to purchaser's preference in the end - a shoddy original car versus a very tidy non original colour? As Neil (ntc) has said, if you are keeping the car then so long as you like the colour etc. it is your choice and your car... However, if being done to sell, then originality may well win the day...

Cheers

It's interesting about the various colours and their codes.

17 is Damson but not really Damson Red.

Triumph coded their red colours ending in a 2 - 32, 72, 82, 92.

Whereas Damson is Damson.

All the blues are coded with suffix 6 - 16, 26,56 etc

However there are always exceptions - 27 is shadow blue.

Has Damson 17 got some ancestral lineage with Shadow Blue 27.

Roger

Hi guys some interesting thoughts here, perhaps I should expand a bit on this. If I were keeping the car I myself would keep it Damson. That's how it came off the factory floor - original paint colour if not original paint, but.... As i intend to sell the car would I have a better chance if the colour was a nice bright signal red and therefore drawing more interest or leave it as Damson and hope that someone really likes that colour?? The finish of the car is the same standard for both brand new damson or brand new signal red?? or is there an 'in' colour that people are after, perhaps someone out there who is looking for a car can pass on their thoughts. As I explained in the first thread I don't do this for a living it's a hobby that I enjoy very, very much, I like to rebuild rebuild them, my wife likes to drive them! It keeps the grey cells happy!

.......The finish of the car is the same standard for both brand new damson or brand new signal red?? or is there an 'in' colour that people are after, perhaps someone out there who is looking for a car can pass on their thoughts.

You could advertise it 'to be painted to the buyers colour choice' and let them decide, but only after have bought it?!

If red, then Pimento (code 72) every time for a TR6............

166159_1558265151757_1089104818_31271452_7620249_n.jpg

260507_1858356933864_1089104818_31699995_5000280_n.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Roger,

According to Triumph colours ending in a 7 were purple. Maybe whoever compiled the list was colour blind particularly when you consider that Magenta is supposedly a red (code 92)

Derek

It just has to be original !!!!!!

Damson is a rare colour,has real depth and its GORGEOUS!! :wub::P

Too many sports cars inc TR's are the basic reds!

When I was looking I wanted dark blue,or damson,the only shade of red I would have,,but knew it was hard to find.

Or a car semi restored and ready for painting.

I was extreemly lucky in that the 2nd car I looked at ticked all the boxes!! :D

kingswood2.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Hey Andrew, I like the idea of the buyer choosing the colour, but then there is a pressure to finish the car in a certain time, I'm also doing a house resto to. The 'Capitaine de Corvette' wouldn't be best pleased if I devoted all of my time to the garage! Perhaps I should worry less about the colour and more about door gaps and hogging! Ah what a world we live in. Would some kind person also tell me how to attach photos to threads please a picture paints a thousand words someone once said.

Speaking as someone with a signal red car I understand your issue. I was drawn to the Signal red and, happily mine was originally signal red too. However, now I have had it longer I do really appreciate some of the colours like Pilkies Damson and I always liked white. Did I pay more because it was the colour I wanted? If I am honest I probably did. Having said that, wasn't there someone in Ireland desperately looking for a Good Damson last year? Maybe it wasn't Damson but it was one of the more unusual colours. Although I think that signal or pimento red are more universally attractive to experienced TR owners or inexperienced punters like I was, I do think it a shame if all TRs gradually get changed to red and would encourage you to keep it the original colour though it might restrict your market a bit. At the end of the day though, whatever colour you paint it, it can always go back again! Nothing is forever. Would I have bought my car if it had previously been a different colour before Signal Red? Yes. Would I still do that now TRs have become a bit of an obsession. Yes probably!

Hi my 4a was white when i got it back in 2005 in bits ,as i intend to keep it , i asked the same question back then and decided powder blue ,i like it so thats what matters ,but if i was going to sell signal red hands down the best seller but we are all different , the buyer will be made aware its been restored and thats the colour you wanted it to be, [just my opinion ]

nick

Condition, originality, history and then colour is the priority most value cars by. Colour choice is down to individual taste and varies with fashions and trends. White is probably most sought after right now but when I bought my current 6 I had to look hard to find my first choice colour of Magenta.

Damson is a great colour in my opinion and not as common as the brighter reds so it gives a buyer a reason to choose your car rather than another. If your 6 was one of the brighter reds it would just be another red TR6.

I'd stick with Damson.

Hi Guys thanks for all of the input, I think that I'll stick to my guns and go with originality. If it were me buying It's what I would want. Watch this space for the finished product. Damson it is!

Good choice.

If you can,ask your painter to go with solid 2 pack and dont use any lacquer!

Just my opinion and preference,as its easier to buff out any minor scratching just like cellulose!

And it gives a more authentic deeper shine,thats less plastic looking than having it lacquered!!

Not quite as deep as cellulose but if you get a really good paint finish its pretty close!!