Brake Light Switch

I bought two (one spare)... :D

Tony

Hi Tony,

You do not need a spare when you buy the Mercedes switch, more then one Million km with the same are usual end of course they are not from plastic! :D

Cheers,

Rien

Good morning,

I ordered one of the switches recommended, off Ebay, it came this morning. When I fitted it to my car (4A) the brake lights did not come on until the plunger was fully out and the brake pedal was about a quarter depressed even when the switch was set as far back as possible. Thought I would trim the end of the plunger, no joy, there is a thin spring inside it almost right to the end of the plunger, so switch now U/S. Went to my local car breaker and looked through a box of brake light switches, I found one off a 7 series Volvo. Fitted it and the brake light now comes on a soon as the brake pedal is pressed. A lot safer to my mind. The plastic plunger is also more substantial in diameter.

Graham

That's useful to know Graham. Perhaps the 4A arrangement doesn't allow the switch to stand off far enough. My only experience was in using one of the ebay types on my TR6, so I won't now be surprised if it doesn't fit right on the 4A.

On a 4a you do need to bend the mounting bracket for the switch out a bit or make a new slightly longer one. The recommendation of these switches was mainly made for TR5/6 as they have a different mounting point. Original TR4a ones in metal are generally very long lived.

Stuart.

When one and one's car were young...one used to disconnect the switch to conceal to others and plod that one was braking! Ah...the irresponsibility of youth! :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update this thread a little.. My brake light switch died recently, so I followed the Ebay links in the thread.

This is the switch the seller currently lists.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a77a8e715

It looks a little different than the ones shown earlier in the thread, but has the same part number and is still a straight swap for the original plastic job on a 6. It was an easy swap, comes with two nuts on the thread to allow adjustment, and seems to be a good solid switch.

Cheers Dave

Edited by Dave K

When I was young I only connect mine for the MOT...why let others you were dicing with know you're breaking?

Edited by Denis

When I was young I only connect mine for the MOT...why let others you were dicing with know you're breaking?

Know what you mean.... But on todays road with so many tailgating idiots, I'd prefer to give as much warning as poss. Thinking about that, I wonder if you can improve on the standard bulb for brightness whilst keeping the original socket etc?

Cheers Dave

Know what you mean.... But on todays road with so many tailgating idiots, I'd prefer to give as much warning as poss. Thinking about that, I wonder if you can improve on the standard bulb for brightness whilst keeping the original socket etc?

Cheers Dave

Good point, I find only the Pong of my rich exhaust keeps most bumper hugging bullies at bay! I'm so glad I had many a good dice with fellow sporty types on our roads of yesteryear...sigh!

• 9 years later...

The standard switch has a similar size plunger does it not? 

What about using araldite to attach something to make it wider? Also is your pedal box worn causing play in the pedals?  

Gareth

15 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

The standard switch has a similar size plunger does it not? 

What about using araldite to attach something to make it wider? Also is your pedal box worn causing play in the pedals?  

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

My pedal box is a refurbished item from Revington with no wear or play and as I recall the BMW plunger had a much smaller diameter than the standard switch.

Araldite and a washer may be the way to go.

Richard.

• 11 months later...

My TR6 was about to fail the mot today on brake lights not working. A fiddle with the connections got them working but on closer inspection back home it appears to be the connectors in the plastic switch that flop about rather than the spade connectors. Looking for a Link to a quality replacement please. They seem to be out of date on this thread I don't like the thought of my brake lights working intermittently. 

Regards Richard