Excuse my ignorance, but why?

Malcolm T

Hi Malcolm,

If you have a harness, the type that goes over both shoulders, it holds you tight in the seat, little movement.

In the event that the car were to roll over, you would still be secured firmly in your seat. No roll bar and your head

would take the place of the roll bar.

However with the standard diagonal belts and no roll bar you have some hope of ducking down .

Car with no belts, top down, in the event of a roll, even more movement, and you will most likely be thrown clear.

Of course front end collision is a different thing altogether.

Cheers

Guy

i can understand were you are all coming from re safety

however, for me the fun of the three is the element of danger that goes with the driving experience

i don't want to sound to cavalier

but if you put a roll bar full harness in a three, that would kill it for me

personally the car doesn't look right when it is fitted

its like playing conkers with goggles and gloves

bloody nanny state

pink

my god what a can of worms i seem to have opened! and a good thing too! a bar is better than no bar! so no toy throwing please or i will get very cross,! a bar bolted to the chassis is the best, but i think most just bolt (plus sandwich plates ) to the body work, ok start shooting me down in flames! thanks for all your input guys , and a happy new year !regards Richard.

hi everyone and a happy new year. i am thinking of fitting a rollover bar to my 6 .the type sold by revington . (road type no diag and harness loop) do they tend to create wind noise at speed say 60 70 mph. the added safety of having one is obvious ,its more the case of getting the right one! have a good 2012 . regards Richard

Are going Racing Richard? If not, the Windscreen Frame is the Cars Roll Over Bar!

"Are going Racing Richard? If not, the Windscreen Frame is the Cars Roll Over Bar!"

And have you seen how rusty they can get even if they appear good from the outside!!!!!! :wacko:

no not going racing . just touring in safe as possable way . on my other halfs beetle cabriolet (07) the screen is structural!. regards Richard

It's not rocket science to weld a decent size spreader plate to the underside of the bodywork, and then to weld and bolt the footplates of the bar - or if appropriate, to fabricate a more substantial underfloor bracket to a chassis member. Simple enough for the average 'MoT repair' garage man.

The likelihood of needing the bar in a rollover situation is in any case small, the chances of the bar being a lifesaver in a side impact situation is many times greater - and I'd suggest that is the real priority.

Cheers,

Alec

I am curious. I have spoken to Racetorations and to Revingtons and they both seem absolutely clear that their ROBs (not their full cages) will provide good protection and are rated for competition but neither connect through to the chassis. Now obviously they are selling the things but they do have reputations to protect. I hear the argument about bolting through to the chassis, but I find it hard to believe these guys are making bars which will simply collapse/tear off the body. So speaking as someone with zero expertise, unless I have grossly misunderstood them I am personally pursuaded that these two at least are a genuine safety enhancement. As for the cosmetic argument - well, each to his or her own methinks!

Edited by Quentin

Racing or not, the criteria for a roll cage are the same, you just don't expect to use it so often on the road.

Of course, on moderns it is normal to mount the ROPS onto the body shell. To the chassis if present is an ideal, but not essential, as the MSA Yearbook makes clear. Go to http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/150_186_Common_Regulations_for_Competitors_(Safety)_(K).pdf

and Drawings 13 and 13(a) which show the foot bolted to a welded-on reinforcing plate on a body panel. See also No.19 for the foot of a backstay on a wheel arch, a very rigid mount owwing to the curvature.

The whole of Section K Paras 1.3.2 and following is concerned with "Mounting of Rollcages to the Bodyshell" and merits a read.

I have mounted a ROB from Revington with a removeble diag and a harness bar, but I dont think that I will ever remove the diag. Very perfect fit and the hood can be raised and lowered without problems.

Cheers

Tage

post-5346-0-22097700-1325929198_thumb.jpgpost-5346-0-68037300-1325928964_thumb.jpg

post-5346-0-68037300-1325928964_thumb.jpg

post-5346-0-22097700-1325929198_thumb.jpg

Hi Tage

Now you have the ROB fitted does the hood cover around the bar. Mine is cr#^%p won't fit around the ROB at all. (ROB Stag type from Moss).

Pete

Hi Pete

There is no problems with the hood and the hood cover. And I dont have a tonneu-cover, so that was not a problem for me, but it certainly must be modified.

cheers

Tage

Edited by 15eren

Good evening,

As much as I understand Revington's roll bar fixes completely on the rear deck, with the 4 points. That is practical, because you can slide the backrest of the seat against the inner wheel arch. However it makes the bar pretty narrow.

I was just looking on Safety Devices site and found this:

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsport/products/roll-cage/Triumph+TR6+-1969-1976/26/#!prettyPhoto

Has anybody such a bar and does the hood still fit?

Regards,

Patrick