hi everyone and a happy new year. i am thinking of fitting a rollover bar to my 6 .the type sold by revington . (road type no diag and harness loop) do they tend to create wind noise at speed say 60 70 mph. the added safety of having one is obvious ,its more the case of getting the right one! have a good 2012 . regards Richard

I dont think they do , certainly no more than is already present at 60/70 mph. A breezebreaker will help with the backdraught tho and the roll bar is an excellent anchor for that. Not sure how you plan to fit but obviously if its just anchored to the floor its no going to do a great deal in an accident. I suspect the diagonal provides quite a lot of sideways strength and I believe you get removable ones for when space is an issue. No doubt you'll get some other helpful inputs before having to decide how best to proceed.

Richard,

The place to go for advice on how a rollover bar should be constructed has to be the Motor Sports Association, the regulating body for Msport in the UK. They publish their annual 'Yearbook', aka the Blue Book, which contains the regs for what must nowadays be called "Roll Over Protection Systems", or ROPS (!).

Anyone can access the Blue Book, online, at http://www.msauk.org...sp?article=1122.

Click on the Section you need, in your case Section K, Safety.

This should arm you with all the questions you should ask a supplier. Most of note is that a commercial ROPS for motorsport must have a certificate, issued by the MSA or FIA. Even if you don't want to participate, this has to be the Gold Standard!

An acceptable ROPS may be a simple rear hoop, such as you wish, but with a diagonal. If you are reluctant, please think on why the MSA should insist on one, the reason being that the simple hoop can easily fold up, like a cardboard box with no bottom. Do not be misled by the original drawing of a simple roll hoop, Drawing 1, which is no longer acceptable. The Blue Book is work in progress, and Drawing 1 has been supplanted by Drawing 60(i), with a diagonal.

As always, it's your risk and your choice, but I would not drive a TR, or any open car, without a 'ROPS'! I speak from experience - I rolled my ROPSed Vitesse on the Nurburgring, and I survived, while the car did not.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

The extra wind noise created by a roll over bar in any TR is neither here nor there, not enough to be concerned about.

Going to the expense and effort of fitting a hoop without diagonal is just crackers. Barmy. Richard Head moment.

If you're in that rare and unfortunate position of actually needing the roll bar, you'll like as not have a brief last moment of illumination to wish you'd had the diagonal . . . . your nearest and dearest might well be cursing the omission for a long time.

Buy and fit a simple hoop with diagonal that meets MSA standards, device and fitment, and be done with it. If it doesn't meet MSA standards it isn't worth having - you're fooling yourself, it's boy racer cosmetics and little more. I don't care what the adverts for 'aerodynamic' or whatever inadequate substitutes claim, they are bullshit.

The main virtue of fitting a roll over bar is not so much a roll over, which is a rare occurrence, as a side impact. Think White Van Man t-boning you with 3 tons of Transit on a roundabout, or your sliding off at speed into a telegraph pole - that's when you discover just how much difference the bar+diagonal makes to sideways intrusion.

Been there, done that, lived to warn you - and so has V8 Lady, on her own account.

Cheers,

Alec

Going to the expense and effort of fitting a hoop without diagonal is just crackers. Barmy. Richard Head moment.

boy racer cosmetics and little more

Cheers,

Alec

Great,

Well i cant be a "Richard Head", as roll bar was on the car twenty odd years ago when i bought it, :) i had no option of a diagonal bar. :huh: , if i had

i would have . I have left it in place because i feel sure it stiffens the rear bodywork, holds it all together.

Never been classified as a Boy Racer" before, this is a first :) not sure whether to take this title with a smile, or throw my toys

out of the pram. <_<

DSC00992.jpg

Cheers

Guy

Guy, the type fitted to your car looks the same as the one that came with my car. No diagonal as such but a bit more than a simple hoop, manufactured by Aleybars(?). It has to be worth some additional impact or rollover protection as the secondary bars are at an angle compared to the main hoop and has four mounting points instead of two. Be interesting to see what others think of this type of roll bar? Cheers, Steve.

Great,

Well i cant be a "Richard Head", as roll bar was on the car twenty odd years ago when i bought it, :) i had no option of a diagonal bar. :huh: , if i had

i would have . I have left it in place because i feel sure it stiffens the rear bodywork, holds it all together.

Never been classified as a Boy Racer" before, this is a first :) not sure whether to take this title with a smile, or throw my toys

out of the pram. <_<

DSC00992.jpg

Cheers

Guy

does that fit under the hardtop ok.and do you know what make it is .

richard

Hi Guy,

Keep cuddling the toys. :D

20 years ago diagonals weren't compulsory in motor sport, and the bar like yours with twin downstays was made to then MSA standards - and is a pretty reasonable bit of kit that will withstand a fair old wallop.

Nowadays anything that isn't warranted up to MSA standard tends to fall a long way short, more cosmetic accessory than potentially lifesaving as you might say. Some of the so-called rollover bars I've seen would be more at home as garden fruit cages than in the back of fast car. That's the point I was making, with reference to fitting a new current bar.

The extra diagonal is an inconvenience, restricts loading space for example, but it does enhance the protection level by some appreciable margin.

Cheers,

Alec

You could always have a diagonal bar fitted in.

I bet the rear section bolts to the inner wing,which would be of more conscern to me as down to the chassis is the way to go imho.

Still the type you have is better than nothing for those who like the look.

ROY

Chaps,

Thanks for the Pms , i wont be throwing my toys out just yet. :D

Ian,

Thanks for you kind observations, i am just opening a lovely bottle of Red, oooops

forgot you were on a DRY ship........ Sorry, Anyway will drink it for you :P

Steve,

Not sure what make but i think it was was fitted in 1991, i might recall a green logo down one of the bars,

could of been Alleybars, i know TRGB had one for sale a few months back, havent seen another .

Richard

Will it fit inder the hardtop ..

Well Yes

DSC01240.jpg

DSC00992.jpg

Apologies to the original poster ..

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I also have the simple hoop with no diagonal bar but with four feet that are boltred to the rear shelf with some substantial plate welded underneath for additional strength. I imagine in some accident scenarios it would help but it is also a place to mount an LED strip that serves as a third brake light and also a place to hold some 1/4 inch plexiglass that acts as an effective windblocker.

Adding a diagonal would take away from the usable space behind the seats which in my case usually has a cooler parked there. If safety was my primary concern I wouldnt be driving a TR6 and around here making the car more visible from behind is the biggest aid to safety that I can think of.

Stan

I also have the simple hoop with no diagonal bar but with four feet that are boltred to the rear shelf with some substantial plate welded underneath for additional strength. I imagine in some accident scenarios it would help but it is also a place to mount an LED strip that serves as a third brake light and also a place to hold some 1/4 inch plexiglass that acts as an effective windblocker.

Adding a diagonal would take away from the usable space behind the seats which in my case usually has a cooler parked there. If safety was my primary concern I wouldnt be driving a TR6 and around here making the car more visible from behind is the biggest aid to safety that I can think of.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Yup like minds i have an led brake light mounted to the roll bar for the same reasons, especially when i am away in Frogland.

Guess you are now a " Boy Racer "too , welcome to the club. :)

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Stan,

Yup like minds i have an led brake light mounted to the roll bar for the same reasons, especially when i am away in Frogland.

Guess you are now a " Boy Racer "too , welcome to the club. :)

Cheers

Guy

Guilty as charged Guy, evidence the Miata seats and the fake knock off spinners on the panasports. Now where did I put that black and white checkered tape..

Guy

A harness belt takes no longer to put on !ok a little bit but ask Emma and Den when pulled down they feel safe even more so in a modified car that is, remember no airbags no side bars and there safety is all that matters to me

Guilty as charged Guy, evidence the Miata seats and the fake knock off spinners on the panasports. Now where did I put that black and white checkered tape..

Dont forget the Go Faster Stripes, oh and the Mudflaps (as per Andrew Smith) :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Guy

A harness belt takes no longer to put on !ok a little bit but ask Emma and Den when pulled down they feel safe even more so in a modified car that is, remember no airbags no side bars and there safety is all that matters to me

Neil,

I know what you are saying, my car was fitted with a harness when i got it, i drove it like that for a couple of years, Sabelt i think big yellow logo. Was too boy racer for me, and the Gf at the time didnt agree with them, maybe it would have been different if they werent so clourfull., you know what i mean.

Not a good idea to fit a harness without a Roll bar, thought i would mention that.

Cheers

Guy

Here are a few pictures of a TR3A (with a small nose) from the TRF summer party last year. Very nice couple from CT (Hi Kev and Moira..) with a TR3 just out of the paint shop sporting an industrial strength roll bar (bolted to the frame) and full harness for driver and passenger.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/foster461/TRF%202011/

Stan

Does that TR3A ROPS change anyone's mind? I can see a beer cooler slotting into the back 'seat' easily!

Also, it has a transverse bar to mount the seat belts/harnesses. A very effective method, that avoids unsightly anchors on the wheel arches, is better than an anchor low down on the floor behind the seat and is approved for motorsport by the MSA!

John