That's what I meant Paul - infinite aggro if you're daft enough to try and keep going for a second half century something that wasn't built to last out even its first decade . . . . . Stan and Joe must be p*ss*ng themselves at our antics, which possibly explains the biblical downpours falling on Roger's head ?

Cheers,

Alec

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

"which possibly explains the biblical downpours falling on Roger's head ?

Cheers,

Alec"

His head bit actually looks to be pretty well protected from rain.

My contribution to the 4A saga occurred while checking the colour of the plugs.

No 4 was green. The same colour as the coolant additive.(it was wet too) have retorqued the head bolts before going more overboard. (to be continued.)

Edited by littlejim

Hi LJ,

could the #4 plug simply be envious of the other three - perhaps not!.

Bolt it all down, give it a good run and recheck. Keep an eye on the rad water - level and contamination etc.

A compression test may give a quick diagnosis

Best of luck

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

I've decided to ignore the vent lid until it learns to behave itself.

Today I fitted the bonnet (hood). I was expecting trouble and I wasn't disappointed.

The nearside hinge had some interestingly elongated holes. I welded up the holes and reshaped them back to normal. The trial fit of the bonnet showed that the holes needed to be elongated - so I ended up with the holes that I started with.

The overall effect of bonnet and wings looks good. The gaps need a little fettling but they are even and not crinkley like a smiths crisp.

Tomorrow I will fit the bonnet latch and get the whole thing lined up and straight.

Roger

Piddled down here too Roger, if that's any consolation, and all bloody day . . . . . it's hard to credit just how fast Tyson can pee when raindrops are falling on his head, none of the usual indecision as to which is the best spot to relieve himself, out the back door and in again, 25 seconds flat.

Meanwhile I was up and down to the garage, in the rain - 40 yards between back door and garage isn't a lot until it's bucketing down.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Folks,

despite the howling gale and the odd dribblings from the sky I decided to sort out the bonnet.

The basic shape (rectangleish) is OK. The bonnet and the hole where it goes look almost right when not fitted together.

Sticking the bonnet in the hole indicated a bit of fettling was due.

The offside looked good, the rear edge looked good, the front looked good but alas the nearside didn't look so good. There appeared to be a raised area in the bonnet apprx 18" rear of the front edge that stuck up above the wing. My first (and only) thought was that either the bonnet or wing was bent. This would be a disaster as everything is painted.

Now your asking yourself 'why didn't the idiot trial fit it before painting'. Well clever dick I did (but not very well it appears).

Anyway with a bit of jiggling and poking and averaging any misalignment it sort of fits quite nicely.

I knocked up a template to compare the offside and nearside wings and also the bonnet edges, within a couple of furlongs they were very similar.

I'm quite happy with the fit, not 100% but very good all the same.

I also bought an aerosol of touch-up paint today. Let me categorically state Ford Midnight Blue is not the same as TRiumph Royal Blue (56) - let that be a warning.

Tomorrow the steering shaft - assuming Noah and his mates haven't beached themselves in the garden.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

The rain down here is coming sideways backed up with 70mph northerly gale, rattling the workshop doors so loud Ive had to turn the radio up :wacko: Even Albert isnt keen on going out in it, (currently crossing his legs :blink: )

Stuart.

The rain down here is coming sideways backed up with 70mph northerly gale, rattling the workshop doors

Same here on the Bristol Channel, boiler packed up yesterday so it's freezing cold and today the garden fence took off in the gale raging outside. :(

Time to go and find a warm pub somewhere I think.

Since the words 'Hosepipe Ban' appeared in the local news it hasn't stopped raining.

I was planning to go sailing on the 104% full local reservoir today, but howling wind and pouring rain means I'm at home watching the Moto GP!

I may go out and tidy the garage later, but the heater's in the shed for the summer (ha ha ha!) now.

Exactly 12 months ago I was fitting my Phoenix manifold and it was warm and sunny..

Today, Monday, was mainly dry and sunny. It was actually quite pleasant working outside on the car.

I fitted the letters and badge to the bonnet, it cheers the whole car up a treat. The letters were from Abingdon MG at half the price of the big supplier and look good.

Filled with success I attacked the windscreen frame top capping. I bought a new one last summer and was assured they are good and they fit.

They are good (well almost) and they don't fit.

The shape in general is good. Even the popper studs will be able to fit on the ends.

All 11 rivet holes are in the correct place in relation to each other. Sadly they are ALL in the wrong place in relation to the frame.

A few extra holes in the frame won't matter.

I managed to temporarily pin it in place and make the edges sort of fit correctly.

Tomorrow I shall pop rivet it in place.

I went to the paint shop today to get a 2K aerosol of #56 Royal blue.

As the paint shop will have to make it from scratch, using my vent lid as a sample, I will have to pay them to work their magic.

£25 to concoct the right blend/formulae and about £10/can after that. Usually their stuff is very good.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Roger dont forget the sealer under the capping before you fit it.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I fitted it with some black silicon stuff from Wicks. It would have worked and it was to hand.

However fate stepped in and I had to remove the capping as one of the end rivets was not happy. The black silcon was removed.

Today I shall pop into my local autoshop and see what they have.

Roger

Hi Stuart,

Is this sealant the same stuff you recommend for sealing in between the the inner and outer wings when bolting up ?

Mick Richards