Fuse ratings?

Hi John,

my only conclusion on the same conductor (cross sectional area) with a thick wall compared to a thin wall having less current ability is that the thick wall

keeps the heat in the conductor which in turn will raise its resistance and then become hotter which will raise its resistance etc etc.

The modern thin wall is also handy allowing easier fitment in tight spaces. Some of the original bundles are quite unmanageable.

Roger

DC current flows through the whole of the conductor, wire. As far as low voltage DC is concerned its the plain resistance that we have to consider. The larger the conductor the lower its resistance. The higher the current the greater the power lost in the form of heat due to the resistance of the conductor. So if we reduced the resistance by using a larger conductor then we reduce the power loss. The other effect of a high current through a too small cable, to much resistance, will be a voltage drop.

In other words as the current requirements increases then the resistance, size, of the conductor becomes important. A higher current requires a bigger conductor.

Multi strand cables are used as they withstand vibration and movement much better than one having a single large conductor.

In Radio Frequency currents, high frequency AC, things are different - As the frequency increase the current flows more and more on the outer surface of the conductor. This is known as the skin effect. In high power transmitter applications a large hollow conductor is often used to form the coils as most of the current is on the outside of the conductor. Not the case in low voltage DC applications.

I'll get my anorak and go.

Dave

When selecting fuses remember that the speed at which a fuse blows is related to the degree of overload. A direct short-circuit will draw a very large current far in excess of the fuse rating and this will blow the fuse almost immediately so the current will not flow for long. A small overload of a few extra amps may take minutes to heat the fuse element sufficiently for it to fail and during all that time the wires carrying the current are getting warmer than they should, to the detriment of the insulation.

Its also worth noting that the current rating of a cable is quoted for free-air. If its bundled up in a loom, perhaps with further insulation wrap, it should be de-rated as the temperature will be higher.

When selecting fuses remember that the speed at which a fuse blows is related to the degree of overload. A direct short-circuit will draw a very large current far in excess of the fuse rating and this will blow the fuse almost immediately so the current will not flow for long. A small overload of a few extra amps may take minutes to heat the fuse element sufficiently for it to fail and during all that time the wires carrying the current are getting warmer than they should, to the detriment of the insulation.

Its also worth noting that the current rating of a cable is quoted for free-air. If its bundled up in a loom, perhaps with further insulation wrap, it should be de-rated as the temperature will be higher.

Rob, brings back memories of a Wireless Mec running an electric fire through not full unreeled 13 Amp lead-line!

Dave

HELP please. Any suggestions as to why park lights and dashboard lights come on as soon as I put the green/red wire onto the fuse box?

The green red wire runs from the Master lighting switch to the fusebox, then red to front side lamps & dash lights.

Your ML switch must be set to the 1st setting, broken or incorrectly wired

The Master has spoken.

I'd say that a strictly relevant Q is OK, but if its a spin off, start a new thread. If you like, copy the address of the thread to show where you are coming from

This is what I received.

Prefect, on 05 Feb 2017 - 5:31 PM, said:

Hi Mike
It looks like you bombed someone else post that's why you have no replies!

Are you sure your light switch is OFF?

Pete

Hi,

I am really sorry, I did not mean to "bomb" anyone's posts.

What did I do that was wrong?

Yes, the light switch is off

OK. Remove the green/red wire which should be the feed from the lighting switch. Do the lights stay on? Is there 12v on the red wires? If yes then you've incorrectly replaced the wires on the fuse box or the fuse box is different to the original.

Better still can you post a picture showing the fuse box wiring arrangement?

Edited by peejay4A

This is what I received.

Prefect, on 05 Feb 2017 - 5:31 PM, said:

Hi,

I am really sorry, I did not mean to "bomb" anyone's posts.

What did I do that was wrong?

Yes, the light switch is off

You didnt do anything wrong and that message was very unnecessary by the looks of it.

Old threads are very often brought back to life when someone has a similar problem.

Stuart.

I have just been told that I have been "bombing" other people's posts. I was not not aware that I have, but if I have, I apologise profusely. Please explain the correct procedure for asking questions

A hanging offence for some, not a major issue for others but given the lack of manners on many forums it's easier (safer?) to be fastidious in the rules. I've not seen bad behaviour on the TR register before though! Can't imagine this place attracts many trolls.

Refers to adding a question that deviates the thread into a different direction. it would be better to construct a new thread with your question separately. Often the forum moderators will do this as a "tidy up" in many forums.

MT