Clutch Noise.

Still have this question nagging me ...... i find this strange, connected adjustable pushrod,and moved the lever forward(so release bearing should be off fingers) and wound in the pushrod as far as it would allow, attached spring, pushed down on pedal absolutely no pressure. Surely there should still be pedal pressure The piston in the slave should still move.

Just to clarify, the adjustable pushrod I have is between pedal and master.

Can't remember how strong that spring is, or rather how much travel it has. The slave will only move if it has been returned, if there is no pressure to return it then it will not move out when the pedal is pressed, as it's out already. Perhaps by winding in the pushrod you've used up all the return travel so there's nothing to apply return pressure to the slave.

Ivor

I have had RHP release bearings fail at 60 miles and between 2000- 3000 miles so no longer fit them.I use the koyo bearing which I believe is fitted to theToyota land criuser and is very smooth when spun between your fingers.Sort of fit and forget( in my own findings).

Regards Hrarry TR5 Nutter

Edited by harrytr5

The noise will be coming from inside the gearbox - no question!

That's what I'm thinking too. If it's noisy with the slave rod pushed forward ( engine idling ) that will confirm it.

There is a 3-bearing upgrade available for the laygear, while you're at it ;)

Gents, the forum is getting really clever now, I stated the car today for the first time in a couple of weeks as I was taking her to work.

Guess what NO NOISE at all smooth start and is running wellbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

Oh Dear!

When the clutch is let out or not engaged (or in neutral) the engine is driving the Layshaft

See attached generic diagram

I'm sure we all know this, but just in case.......the only time your gearbox has none of its internals moving is when the engine isn't running and the car is stationary, or when the engine is running and the clutch pedal is pressed (it makes no difference if the car is in gear), but the car is stationary.

In any other state, gearbox internals will be turning.

David

I'm sure we all know this, but just in case.......the only time your gearbox has none of its internals moving is when the engine isn't running and the car is stationary, or when the engine is running and the clutch pedal is pressed (it makes no difference if the car is in gear), but the car is stationary.

In any other state, gearbox internals will be turning.

David

Alas so true David :( I have seen 2 gearboxes destroyed after a rebuild of engine and box and they forgot to put the oil in the box :huh: just to hear the engine run :(

David - I've just re-read my initial post and it is somewhat confusing!!!

What I meant to say was:

With the engine running the crankshaft is driving the Layshaft within the gearbox (and bearings of course) - this is the likely cause of the "shushing" noise (IMHO)

Once the Clutch is depressed (engaged) then this stops the drive to the Layshaft / Bearings and the noise disappears!! ;)

Result: Gearbox Out & Refurbish! :unsure:

Same conclusion Guy - so stop messing about and whip it out! :lol:

Hi Chaps,

I have whipped it out today :rolleyes:

Came out really well, no problem.

I can report that the tapered pin was in place, i removed it and its in tact

as is roll pin, koyo bearing smooth as silk as it the bronze carrier.

Fingers have slight ware but nothing really.

Everything looks ok

With one exception the entire bell housing is covered in oil,looks to

have leaked from the oil seal in gearbox (in photo look belowthe carrier), need to look at this more closely.

I did have a leak from the rocker gasket, battery end, at one point, could oil

have run in that way?

strange too that it did not cause the clutch to slip.

So Looks as if Marko wins a Gold Star

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Now the fun begins ;)

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy

A microscopic pitting will cause this noise - so do not be surprised if you cannot see any scoring whatsoever.

Even the tiniest mark on the layshaft will cause the bearings to make a "shushing" noise.

Have you got anyone helping you as this is a very competetent DIY'er / professional repair really?

You will need to know what you are doing otherwise it will be very difficult / impossible to dismantle the box (for a beginner)

Regards Mark

Guy

Having never touched the inside of a gear box before, I took the plunge last winter and took it apart. Best tip I had was to make a stand with a piece of pipe supported at either end and put the parts from each shaft on it in the same order they came off. The biggest problem was the large horse shoe clip on the main shaft which needs a special kind of plier (not cheap) to remove it, it's an absolute bugger.

I also found that there are a very good set of detailed step by step instructions on the Buckeye Triumph web site. If you print these off and follow them I don't think you can go far wrong.

Best of luck

John

I'm a first time gearbox puller aparter and admittedly I haven't got it back together yet (been busy with work) , but it's a great learning curve.

There is a wealth of info around on the net. I printed it all out and cross check everything.

The hardest thing wad trying to work out what bits are in the box if it's been reco'd once before and also as BL changed so much over the years.

Well it's certainly good to know that Guy has so many mates concerned about his blessed gearbox !! :rolleyes:

As it happens, I owe the man a good turn, and assisting with the gearbox seemed like a good way of repaying a favour. Especially as it isn't always easy getting lumpy stuff to wherever from Jersey. But now and again things come together, there is a Cunning Plan unfolding, so (touch wood) it's all under control . . . . I think . . . ;)

Now now Guy, panic ye not, I'm only pulling your leg, it's all go . . . . :P

Cheers,

Alec

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Got a call from the shipping agent at the harbour this morning, the gearbox is back:rolleyes:

However it was held up with customs :angry: So gave them a ring, had to prove it had left the island

and it was returning from repair. Anyway sorted them out in five minutes flat. :D

Picked up the box, which is now waiting to go back in the car, got to tidy the garage first.

I have a couple of queries ...

The box as a polished Phospour bronze carrier, should the sleeve be lubricated? as it

is without it glides as smooth as silk. :unsure:

Should i lubricate the input splines a little?

The nose of the release bearing...think i read that someone recommended a smear of copperslip

should be applied?

Thanks

Guy

Hi All,

Got a call from the shipping agent at the harbour this morning, the gearbox is back:rolleyes:

However it was held up with customs :angry: So gave them a ring, had to prove it had left the island

and it was returning from repair. Anyway sorted them out in five minutes flat. :D

Picked up the box, which is now waiting to go back in the car, got to tidy the garage first.

I have a couple of queries ...

The box as a polished Phospour bronze carrier, should the sleeve be lubricated? as it

is without it glides as smooth as silk. :unsure:

Should i lubricate the input splines a little?

The nose of the release bearing...think i read that someone recommended a smear of copperslip

should be applied?

Thanks

Guy

Hi Guy

There will be different comments but hay ho, you should NOT put anything on the splines,you should lightly smear the face of the release bearing and also the small part of the input shaft with copperslip and nothing on the carrier

Edited by ntc

Hi Guy

There will be different comments but hay ho, you should NOT put anything on the splines,you should lightly smear the face of the release bearing and also the small part of the input shaft with copperslip and nothing on the carrier

Brilliant :rolleyes:

Thanks Neil.

Gearbox going in tomorrow.

Cheers

Guy