Clutch Noise.

Hi Chaps,

Took the car for a run the other day, and noticed that with the car in neutral, tick over,

i could here a rotating type hush noise coming from the clutch area. If push down on the pedal

the noise goes away.All gears go in and out without issue.

Havent noticed this before, seems as if its just started.

The car is fitted with an adjustable slave pushrod, i noticed the clevis pin to it was worn, so

have replaced that and the return spring.

Master cylinder (3/4) seems ok no slack, but replaced a spring on the pedal, new bushes fitted to

pedal box recently.

I have bleed the system and adjusted the slave pushrod.

So what causes this noise is it the release bearing contacting the fingers?,

Does this sound like a hydraulic problem?

Your thoughts appreciated

Guy

Hi Chaps,

Took the car for a run the other day, and noticed that with the car in neutral, tick over,

i could here a rotating type hush noise coming from the clutch area. If push down on the pedal

the noise goes away.All gears go in and out without issue.

Havent noticed this before, seems as if its just started.

The car is fitted with an adjustable slave pushrod, i noticed the clevis pin to it was worn, so

have replaced that and the return spring.

Master cylinder (3/4) seems ok no slack, but replaced a spring on the pedal, new bushes fitted to

pedal box recently.

I have bleed the system and adjusted the slave pushrod.

So what causes this noise is it the release bearing contacting the fingers?,

Does this sound like a hydraulic problem?

Your thoughts appreciated

Guy

Hi my Lord

i think the noise could be the thrust bearing

if it isn't we will soon no

regards pink :huh:

Hi Pink,

Dont you mean "Release Bearing"

Hope Man Flue has gone

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy

Welcome to the pitfalls of the adjustable rod :( they do not compensate for worn out parts and all to often over adjusted :o the release bearing will be shot also while you are there check the spigot bush

Hi Guy

Welcome to the pitfalls of the adjustable rod :( they do not compensate for worn out parts and all to often over adjusted :o the release bearing will be shot also while you are there check the spigot bush

Hi Neil,

Hope you had a relaxing break.

So what you are saying really is the box has to come out, the bearng and clutch components

have only got 4200 miles on them. I am assuming the Release bearing was changed cant be sure.

Cheers

Guy

nope release bearing wasnt changed.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Neil,

Hope you had a relaxing break.

So what you are saying really is the box has to come out, the bearng and clutch components

have only got 4200 miles on them. I am assuming the Release bearing was changed cant be sure.

Cheers

Guy

Thanks Guy

Back to the point all should have been changed par for the course ? and set at the correct length

I stand corrected the release bearing was changed.

Cheers Guy

Good so you maybe ok ( if the box is good) so check the movement, remove the rod and measure the distance from the bellhouseing to the arm.Replace the rod and measure the push it should be between 15 and 18 mm

Hi Pink,

Dont you mean "Release Bearing"

Hope Man Flu has gone

Cheers

Guy

yea sorry guy release bearing

we looked for the midget but could not find him

however i got chatted up by a fruit

tors thought it was hilarious

cold real bad could die

regards pink

Thanks Neil,

With nothing attached to cross shaft lever , the lever moves 11 mm.

I havent got anyone here at present to push pedal down.

But, i find this strange, connected adjustable pushrod, and moved the lever forward(so release bearing

should be off fingers) and wound in the pushrod as far as it would allow, attached spring, pushed down

on pedal absolutely no pressure. Surely there should still be pedal pressure :unsure: The piston in the slave

should still move.

Maybe i havent had enough red wine yet :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guy

yea sorry guy release bearing

we looked for the midget but could not find him

however i got chatted up by a fruit

tors thought it was hilarious

cold real bad could die

regards pink

Pink

He was obviously a very desperate fruit :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi, Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but I don't think it is the release bearing, I think it's either the first motion shaft bearing in the gearbox (the big one just behind the clutch in the bell-housing), or the laygear bearings. I have been here before.

You will have to take the gearbox out anyway, so my advice is to get the lot checked out.

Please let us all know what you find, will you?

Take care,

Austin Branson

I'm just about to have the third clutch in less than 12,000km so I tried to do some research and as everyone probably knows, it would seem the clutch is the second biggest issue after the PI system. Buckeyetriumphs have quite a large section devoted to this, including info on non-standard remedies etc. Follow the link below for more info and at the bottom of the page there are links to other clutch related issues etc

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ReleaseBearing/ReleaseBearingWoes.htm

Steve

Edited by Steve in Dublin

My Lord

I am watching this one.

Guy does this happen all the time or just when the car has just been started. I only ask as I have a noise on mine but only happens for the first few depressions then it stopsohmy.gifonce the car is warmsmile.gif

Edited by Clarkey

I would agree with Austin - nothing to do with the Clutch mechanism or pushrod - If the noise disappears when the clutch is dipped then I would suggest Laygear bearings worn - I have seen this many times and you may need a new shaft if it is marked / scored also - A tiny mark on the shaft can make an extremely loud noise!

Sorry Guy - if you want to chat it through with Bob (my engine / gearbox man) then give me a call tomorrow on 01366 501226...

Regards

Mark

Thanks for your replys.

If this is gearbox related why is it that when the car is out of gear

in neutral that i hear this noise? There is nothing moving in the box? Foot on clutch it goes.

Dont understand? Help.

Remedy..... Drink more Red Wine

Martin, The whirring hushing type noise is there whether hot or cold,

but only in neutral. Looks like you may be following my lead. Hope not.

Thanks Again

Guy

Mine is/was a bit shushy in neutral, but the noise stopped with the clutch out. I suspect the layshaft, but also suspect it was short on oil as the centre of the chassis has suddenly become very rustproofed and now I've refilled it I noticed today the noise has gone.

So long as there is a bit of free play between the clutch pedal and the master, the adjustable pushrod should not be doing any harm, although I have to agree it's easy to overdo the adjustment.

Ivor

Thanks Marko Neil and Ivor.

I am no mechanic and dont pretend to be, i have picked up what i know from

jumping in and having a go, with the kind help of you chaps :rolleyes: and plenty

of reading. If i assist someone on the forum it is with my hands on experience.

I have had the gearbox out in the past and replaced the clutch, (not current engine and clutch)

and generaly carry out research prior to doing a job.

I havent in the past had any reason to look into the operation of the gearbox

and clutch, although had a basic idea of what occurs.

So i welcome your thoughts with this one.

I am loathed to take the gearbox out as yet, first job tomorrow will be to locate some oil

(run out) and top up gearbox, reset pushrod and take her out, for test.

Still have this question nagging me ...... i find this strange, connected adjustable pushrod,and moved the lever forward(so release bearing should be off fingers) and wound in the pushrod as far as it would allow, attached spring, pushed down on pedal absolutely no pressure. Surely there should still be pedal pressure The piston in the slave should still move.

Neil whats your money on?

Cheers

Guy

The wine hasnt helped. :huh:

Edited by Jersey Royal

Thanks Marko Neil and Ivor.

I am no mechanic and dont pretend to be, i have picked up what i know from

jumping in and having a go, with the kind help of you chaps :rolleyes: and plenty

of reading. If i assist someone on the forum it is with my hands on experience.

I have had the gearbox out in the past and replaced the clutch, (not current engine and clutch)

and generaly carry out research prior to doing a job.

I havent in the past had any reason to look into the operation of the gearbox

and clutch, although had a basic idea of what occurs.

So i welcome your thoughts with this one.

I am loathed to take the gearbox out as yet, first job tomorrow will be to locate some oil

(run out) and top up gearbox, reset pushrod and take her out, for test.

Still have this question nagging me ...... i find this strange, connected adjustable pushrod,and moved the lever forward(so release bearing should be off fingers) and wound in the pushrod as far as it would allow, attached spring, pushed down on pedal absolutely no pressure. Surely there should still be pedal pressure The piston in the slave should still move.

Neil whats your money on?

Cheers

Guy

The wine hasnt helped. :huh:

Guy

Disconnect any noise ?

Edited by ntc

Guy

I hate to be the be cynical on this one - but we have had this issue lots and lots of times on TR Gearboxes.

The noise will be coming from inside the gearbox - no question!

If you want to read up on the general principles of the workings of a gearbox & clutch then go here:

http://www.carbibles.com/transmission_bible.html

It's not as expensive as you think to fix (depending who you use of course :lol: ), but, once the gearbox is out it would be crazy not the check / replace any worn gears, shafts or synchro's

Ring me tomorrow if you want!

Regards

Mark

califpictures223.jpggentleman, i have just replaced my TR release bearing. Mine started a sound, just like yours,then it will keep getting louder with a scoffing noise. No mater the gear box will finally have to come out. The best that can happen is when you pull the box back, and reach up and turn the release bearing, and find out that's the cause of the noise. it is not hard to tell, the bearing will feel like it is rotating on gravel. Also it not unusual to have a bearing fail in 3to5 yrs.

GOOD LUCK!!!

PS: I like removing my own interior hump ext: then i know that it will go back the right way. Mechanics are don't do interiors!!