Question for the Oldtimers

Hey Guys, I hope that you all are doing well.

Steve's question about the unidentifiable bracket was answered by a couple of "oldtimers."

Does the following "ring any bells" with any of youl? I asked Don about it about a year ago, and he said that he had never heard of it.

I cannot remember where I heard it, as it was probably 40 years ago. As you know, you have to remove the cross-bar to install a new fan belt. SOMEWHERE along the line I was told "if you ever have that cross-bar off the car, WIRE a spare fan belt to the back side of the bar before you put it back on the car. That way, if/when you lose the belt, you will have a spare ready to go by just removing the two wires.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? I must admit that I have not gotten that "close" to the underneath side of my front end to see if it is applicable. Anyway, "inquiring minds want to know."

As usual, I look forward to hearing from you.

George

P.S. True Triumph mechanic story. Man took wife to shopping mall in his TR, and heard a noise under the car. He told her to go shopping while he fixed it. When she returned, she saw a crowd standing around his car. She could see his legs extending out from underneath the car: he had on bermuda shorts, and obviously no underwear. So, she casually reached down, slid her hand up his pants leg, and "relocated" his equipment. When she stood up, she saw her husband walking up to the car, with a new part in his hand. Ten stitches were required in the mechanics forehead.

Hey Guys, I hope that you all are doing well.

Steve's question about the unidentifiable bracket was answered by a couple of "oldtimers."

Does the following "ring any bells" with any of youl? I asked Don about it about a year ago, and he said that he had never heard of it.

I cannot remember where I heard it, as it was probably 40 years ago. As you know, you have to remove the cross-bar to install a new fan belt. SOMEWHERE along the line I was told "if you ever have that cross-bar off the car, WIRE a spare fan belt to the back side of the bar before you put it back on the car. That way, if/when you lose the belt, you will have a spare ready to go by just removing the two wires.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? I must admit that I have not gotten that "close" to the underneath side of my front end to see if it is applicable. Anyway, "inquiring minds want to know."

As usual, I look forward to hearing from you.

George

Hi George,

I think I qualify as an "oldtimer", certainly as an old fart!

Quite a few TR drivers wire a spare fan belt in the way you describe,

and yes, it does make sense.

AlanR

Hi George,

I'd like to think I'm at least 20 years away from being an oldtimer, but in fact the crossbar doesn't have to be removed to change the fanbelt. It's a hassle to fit a new belt when out on the road, (skinned knuckles on the radiator core) so it was convenient to carry a spare attached to the crossbar where it was already threaded behind the fan.

The steering cross tie rod is the problem child with (wide) fan belts, as it's very close to the fan hub extension.

However if you turn the front wheels to full lock, the tie rod miraculuosly drops away from the hub, and there's sufficient clearance to fit a new belt.

I just carry a spare belt in the boot, as it's an easy job to fit with an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. The original fan was all but useless in heavy traffic on our 100 F plus summer days.

Regards,

Viv.

I think I qualify, but I'd forgotten about Viv's tip about turning the steering. Nevertheless, I've never felt the need to remove the cross-tube to fit a fan-belt. Even the original belt can be fitted if you jack up the engine slightly under the sump, although I've never tried this with new engine mounts. However, the modern cogged belts are slimmer and therefore, I would expect, easier to fit without the aid of a jack.

[Memo to self: Must replace the spare fan-belts in both cars with cogged type :unsure::blink: ]

Hi George,

I'd like to think I'm at least 20 years away from being an oldtimer, but in fact the crossbar doesn't have to be removed to change the fanbelt. It's a hassle to fit a new belt when out on the road, (skinned knuckles on the radiator core) so it was convenient to carry a spare attached to the crossbar where it was already threaded behind the fan.

The steering cross tie rod is the problem child with (wide) fan belts, as it's very close to the fan hub extension.

However if you turn the front wheels to full lock, the tie rod miraculuosly drops away from the hub, and there's sufficient clearance to fit a new belt.

I just carry a spare belt in the boot, as it's an easy job to fit with an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. The original fan was all but useless in heavy traffic on our 100 F plus summer days.

Regards,

Viv.

Viv, your a wealth of information, but hey, sure your not an oldtimer? weren't you around when they "buried" Ned Kelly ;-).

Mychael

That was indeed the way to go if using the cars all the time. The hardest part apart from the cross bar is also not taking the skin off your hands whilst threading the belt around the standard fan :blink:

Stuart.

My records show that I broke my fan belt in 1993 when it had only 10,000 miles on it. I was doing an indicated 95 MPH and I quickly turned off the engine when I heard this bang and saw the red ignition light come on. Then I immediately noticed the needle on the TEMP gauge going higher. So I coasted to the side of the road where we have very wide shoulders (verges) along our roads. The broken belt was the large solid type marked "Made in Germany". That was at 93,000 miles. I replaced it with the spare I had in my boot. This one was a cogged belt and even though the engine was hot and the thermostat indicated 235 deg. F (remember the water pump doesn't turn when the belt is broken), it took me about 5 minutes along the side of the road to replace it and get going again.

This cogged belt never broke, but in 2007, while I had the engine out to re-build it, I replaced this same belt - just in case. The mileage read 174,200 miles. So this cogged belt had done me just fine for over 81,000 miles with no issues. It had worn "narrow" and the adjustment on the generator bracket was all the way out with the belt now somewhat lower down in the "V" groove of the pulleys. I exchanged this belt for another cogged belt and have driven another 7000 miles on this new one.

Cogged belts are not only easier to install on a TR3A, but they flex more easily around the pulleys, therefore they last much longer than any solid belt made in the last 20-25 years. I say that because when the solid belts were put on TRs new, they would last about 40,000 miles or more.

Oh yes, that belt with 81,000 miles on it is my "new" spare belt.

Now you know the rest of the story.

I have my own way of fitting the fan belt and I wonder how other owners manage to slip the new belt over the dynamo pulley, even when at the smallest adjustment point. This is after threading it round the crank and water pump pulley.

My way is dangerous.

I agree with the full lock approach - it worked for me, but any details of a suitable standard width notched fan belt, (make, part number & source in U/K) would be appreciated. I do not like the idea of fitting a Massey Ferguson fan belt which is how one well known supplier described the standard version!

Hi all

Yes, I would also like to get hold of a cogged/toothed belt as a spare. I have tried all the usual UK sources but they only have the "solid" type.

I do have a Flennor (made in Germany) 20x12.5x900LI cogged/toothed belt on the car and which is what I would like to get hold of again. If anyone knows a UK source I would really appreciate it if you could confirm the contact info or confirm any other alternative supplier/manufacturer. - Otherwise I will try to contact Flennor direct to see whether they can still supply.

thanks

Steve

Hi all

Yes, I would also like to get hold of a cogged/toothed belt as a spare. I have tried all the usual UK sources but they only have the "solid" type.

I do have a Flennor (made in Germany) 20x12.5x900LI cogged/toothed belt on the car and which is what I would like to get hold of again. If anyone knows a UK source I would really appreciate it if you could confirm the contact info or confirm any other alternative supplier/manufacturer. - Otherwise I will try to contact Flennor direct to see whether they can still supply.

thanks

Steve

The Roadster Factory is a source in the eastern USA for the cogged belt, part number GCB40975, $18 + shipping to Europe. With the dollar down, you could buy SIX and have a lifetime supply!

Good luck. Have you tried Moss Europe? (Part Number 834-025)

Edited by TR3BGeorge
I agree with the full lock approach - it worked for me, but any details of a suitable standard width notched fan belt, (make, part number & source in U/K) would be appreciated. I do not like the idea of fitting a Massey Ferguson fan belt which is how one well known supplier described the standard version!

See Fan Belt, Where can iI buy Flennor belts?

Hi Steve,

If you have a supplier for Dayco belts, they have a 20A 0965 Top Cog Gold Label fanbelt for TR's that will outlast the pyramids. Cummins Diesel sell the same item as part 178539 WRZ.

Or a Mitsuboshi (yes boshi) drive belt 17 x 889B-35 fits, but sits a bit lower in the pulleys.

I actually brought one today as a spare, because being narrower, they are much easier to fit while out on the road.

Regards,

Viv.

PS Oh Mychael, no I wasn't quite around 11/11/1880 for Ned's burial or I'd be pushing 129 ;) but his retrieval is another story :o

V.

when i emailed dayco in april, they said they didn't import that particular belt into europe.

i replaced my thick belt with another i already had as a spare.

i'll look out for a flennor 20/900 l at beaulieu tomorrow.

otherwise i may get some of those belts from the tr factory and flog them on!

alan

I have my own way of fitting the fan belt and I wonder how other owners manage to slip the new belt over the dynamo pulley, even when at the smallest adjustment point. This is after threading it round the crank and water pump pulley.

My way is dangerous.

Richard. try turning the engine off first! it's safer!

Dave.

You can try your luck with 'old school' agricultural suppliers: the guys that sell and repair argicultural equipment like harvesters etc. When I bought an new lawnmower, I noticed that these guys had hundreds of belts hanging from the ceiling of there shop. All new. I'm sure there were some wide belts too. Don't know the lenght though as I'm not longer interested myself, having a thin belt conversion on my car. (Okay, I'll get my coat for that).

Menno

This is such a useful Forum. Thank you Dave for the hint about fan belt changing. I will remember next time and try your way. Thank you. :unsure:

It's OK to change it running provided you swap the plug leads so it runs backwards.

Ivor