Has anyone added hazard flashers to a 4A?

Folks, a project that’s been on my “safety” list is to add hazard flashers to my 4A. Originally I was going to get a kit from Revington. It was about £60 for the kit (no VAT) which seemed reasonable, but when I saw the cost for shipping I damn near fell over!

So……… I decided to try wiring something myself. To quote a certain farmer, “How hard can it be?”

I did a search here, but couldn’t find anything specific to the 4A. My plan was to look at a TR250 hazard wiring config, and try to adapt it to the 4A. But before I start down that road, has anyone done this mod, or have suggestions on what path to take?

Oh, and to remind everyone, I’m electrically illiterate when it comes to things like diodes, capacitors, et al so please bear with me.

Jim

Pretty easy to do Jim with minimal change to the existing wiring - new electronic type flasher unit, switch , 3 diodes and a warning lamp. New wiring shown orange.

You would need a diode as shown inserted in the green/brown wire from the existing flasher to the indicator switch. This stops a back-feed if the indicator switch is operated when the hazards are on:

hzfl2b.jpg.49a774fc65a437e85377e0d76988f1b3.jpg

Edited by RobH

I used a Massey Ferguson switch like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204071573394?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=i7es9apwSPS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=GeP3KodIRnW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It uses the normal flasher unit so no need to double up. I have a wiring diagram tucked away which I could send you. 

Ah, Bob I forgot to mention that I do have LED indicators. Oh, and “simples”?!?! You have no concept how quickly I can turn wiring into a “dog’s breakfast”!:o

Would the fact that I’m using LED bulbs impact any of the other suggestions (thanks for those), or is Bob’s diagram the only workable alternative for LEDs?

Also can I use the same type flasher I’m using for the indicators, or does the hazard function require a different type?

Thanks,

Jim

My circuit works with LEDs provided you use a suitable flasher unit - and yes you can use the same type of flasher unit as your present one. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Rob! Let me digest yours and Bobs and I’ll come up with my own diagram for review.

Stuart I sent a message to the eBay seller to see if he ships to the US, and how much.

thanks again,

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

Try a search for Lucas SFB300 on US ebay.  There are lots on UK ebay and you might turn some up in the US

Ralph

Does that Lucas unit work with LEDs  - the blurb doesn't say so ?  It is supposed to work on +ve or -ve earth so can't have an electronic flasher unit in it, as they are polarity sensitive.  Actually it is the same unit that Stuart linked to but with a Lucas sticker on it.

Edited by RobH

If you have original filament bulbs (not LEDs0, you can use the Lucas SFB300 after-market kit, and can install as described in my article in TR Action 132 (August 1996), also in Technicalities J9.

No diodes required as the device uses a simple flasher module, much as that fitted as standard in the car (but allowing for twice the current flow).

Ian Cornish

Posted (edited)

Ian I do have LED bulbs in the indicators.

Stuart I heard back from the person on eBay.UK, and he said they do not ship to the US. This was odd as I did also found the same seller on the US eBay site. I’m guessing shipping costs have become prohibitive.

Ralph, I did find that unit on the US eBay site, however the sellers are also UK based. I will contact them and verify that they indeed still ship here.

In the mean time, I’ve started working on two wiring diagrams. One based on Robs diode solution, and another where I’m trying to “merge” the TR250 hazard components to the 4A wiring.

Bob I have to admit I couldn’t figure out the components of your diagram and how they would relate to the 4A wiring. I warned you I was a bit dim when it comes to this stuff.:wacko:

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

Forgot to mention that I covered all TRs from 2 to 6 in my article - wire colours etc differ from model to model.

Ian Cornish

Hi Jim

i have the advance auto wire power block loom fitted and that includes a switch and separate flasher unit for the hazards.

Perhaps have a look on their site at the various wiring diagrams and you might get some other ideas.

Nigel

4 hours ago, RobH said:

Does that Lucas unit work with LEDs  - the blurb doesn't say so ?  It is supposed to work on +ve or -ve earth so can't have an electronic flasher unit in it, as they are polarity sensitive.  Actually it is the same unit that Stuart linked to but with a Lucas sticker on it.

1 hour ago, ianc said:

If you have original filament bulbs (not LEDs0, you can use the Lucas SFB300 after-market kit, and can install as described in my article in TR Action 132 (August 1996), also in Technicalities J9.

No diodes required as the device uses a simple flasher module, much as that fitted as standard in the car (but allowing for twice the current flow).

Ian Cornish

I have LED front indicator bulbs, but normal rear ones. I do have an electronic flasher unit on the car. When I bought the SFB300 Hazard unit last year and fitted it I never gave any thought to the bulb situation, but it works fine and flashes all 4 bulbs at the normal steady rate.

Ralph

Well here are my first attempts of trying to decipher wiring plans for adding hazard flashers to my 4A.

The first picture is my attempt to merge the 4A wiring with the TR250 hazard wiring. The reason I tried this route was I figured I could buy an off the shelf 250 hazard switch and relay (and buy another flasher unit like I’m using currently for indicators).

The second picture is my attempt to redraw the diode based diagram Rob provided.

As I mentioned previously, I didn’t understand how the diagram Bob provided would interface with the 4A wiring, so that’s on hold.

Anyway, please give these a look over and see if I’m anywhere near a viable option.

BTW - I contacted two sellers on eBay.US that we’re offering the Lucas type kits. Both were based in the UK, and neither would ship to the US!  Did we somehow offend the UK postal system? :huh:

thanks!

Jim

TR4A_hazard_wiring.jpeg

TR4A_hazard_wiring_diodes.jpeg

This is part of the Advance Autowire schematic. The oblong blocks arrowed are existing bullet connectors and are easy break-in points to the wiring.   You can simplify your first drawing a bit if you use those.  I don't know where they are located on a '4A though. 

4aflash.thumb.jpg.8e9d04876d9a352b5428fb46cfdc4771.jpg

Posted (edited)

Rob, yes thank you. I have the Autowire 4A and 250 diagrams. I tried to merge the two, and that’s how I came up with my 250 based diagram. Right now it’s more of a “flow tree”, but once the circuitry paths make sense, I’ll use as many existing connectors as I can.

One thing I did notice was the 4A has the turn indicator light connected directly to the turn signal flasher (first diagram). However the 250 has the turn indicator light connected off the turn signal switch (second diagram). Not sure why the 250 moved it off the turn signal flasher, unless it had to do with the hazard switch being between the flasher and the indicator switch.

cheers

Jim

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

Edited by Tr4aJim
8 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

BTW - I contacted two sellers on eBay.US that we’re offering the Lucas type kits. Both were based in the UK, and neither would ship to the US!  Did we somehow offend the UK postal system? :huh:

thanks!

Jim

If it helps you I would be happy to buy one and ship it on to you.

Ralph

You realy don't need any form of kit, or special "hazaed" flasher unit. With your existing set up all you need is some simple switching to connect the left & right side bulbs together, & also to the output of the existing flasher unit. All you need to obtain is a switch & perhaps some wire.

The diagram I showed above is how to wire into the "standard" TR3 circuit showing the existing horn push etc, I can see it could be confusing.   Try this one !

646193271_HazardWiringGeneral.jpg.7f216247cef586e53efacb74ade9edc1.jpg

I hope that makes it clearer.

(wire colours are optional, these are colours I used recently to provide a kit to a fellow TR owner over here)

Bob

Edited by Lebro
8 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

Not sure why the 250 moved it off the turn signal flasher,

Triumph went to a two-terminal indicator flasher unit for the '250 and '6 - presumably because it was a few pennies cheaper - but that meant they had to use an odd arrangement for the dash tell-tale lamp (which doesn't work if you swap to LED bulbs and needs a work-round) .  Nothing to do with the hazard flasher.  It won't affect what you want to do - there's no need to change to that arrangement. 

First, thank you all for the great feedback!!

Ralph, thank you for the kind offer! I’m going to try wiring this up on my own first, but I might call on you later to rescue me from what I have wrought.

Bob thank you. I will sit down with the new diagram and try to sort it out. I had intended on using the same type of LED compatible flasher unit for the hazards, as I currently use for the indicators. However are you saying I can use the current indicator flasher for both functions?

Rob, ok good to know. I was hoping rewiring the indicator light wasn’t necessary.

Jim