Rear Crankshaft Seal - Moss Land rover mod

Hi

- I have a TR4A with the Moss Europe rear crank seal. the seal goes quite quickly and leaking commences. Can anyone suggest an upgraded seal supplier or another solution. I am waiting for Moss to come back to me to confirm they have an "upgraded" seal which may be possible according to the London office.

- For the gearbox with overdrive, any there any better seals than the standard paper ones. I read somewhere that there was a company supplying urethane seals for rocker and sump gaskets. Any body heard of this. Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffields rebuilt the whole thing a few years ago and did a nice job of it but its now beginning to leak.

Just getting some ideas before I decide to anything bout it. I have had a lot of "It's a TR  - they leak oil"

Thanks for any comments suggestions

Gareth 

Hi Gareth,

do you know where on the OD does the oil come from.

The first place to look is the 3rd/4th selector shaft. It has a hole near the end that decants oil each time you move in/out of gear.

Fill this with JBWeld or Araldite.

Next are the selector shafts 'O' rings. This is more difficult as the top cover needs disassembling. 

The 'O' rings are useless. There are special 'O' rings called 'Q' seals that are better but not perfect.

Q or QUAD seals        https://maydayseals.co.uk/35-quad-rings-

I fit 3/4" lip seals but you need the tooling - seals and 3/4 milling cutter.

However there is a big issue - the selector shafts are exposed to the road dirt and can corrode. This stops any seal working properly.

No new selector shafts - aaarrrggghhhh

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Gareth,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   In the days before MadMarks brought out his version of the crank seal (no machining of the crank needed) I fitted the RevingtonTR version and had the crank carefully machined to their stated dimensions, that was getting on to 10 years ago and the car has done many high speed continental trips with no sign of a leak from the crank (I'll bet there's an oil puddle in the garage now I've said that!!)   .. still what I'm suggesting is you could contact Revington and see if their seal would fit the Moss housing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Cheers Rob

I seem to remember reading that the machining dimension for the oil seal diameter had been incorrectly quoted in some documents. 

If this is the case and your crankshaft has been machined in this way there may not be a seal that will stop the leak.

Neil

You may be thinking of the dimensions for the centralizing tool for the scroll seal halves ?

Bob

Gentlemen,

Could someone please tell me a supplier of a genuine Mad Marks uprated oil seal kit?

Thanks 

Graham 

8 minutes ago, Grahamgl said:

Gentlemen,

Could someone please tell me a supplier of a genuine Mad Marks uprated oil seal kit?

Thanks 

Graham 

PM him

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/profile/3129-madmarx/

On 5/2/2024 at 7:37 PM, Gareth Davies said:

Hi

- I have a TR4A with the Moss Europe rear crank seal. the seal goes quite quickly and leaking commences. Can anyone suggest an upgraded seal supplier or another solution. I am waiting for Moss to come back to me to confirm they have an "upgraded" seal which may be possible according to the London office.

- For the gearbox with overdrive, any there any better seals than the standard paper ones. I read somewhere that there was a company supplying urethane seals for rocker and sump gaskets. Any body heard of this. Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffields rebuilt the whole thing a few years ago and did a nice job of it but its now beginning to leak.

Just getting some ideas before I decide to anything bout it. I have had a lot of "It's a TR  - they leak oil"

Thanks for any comments suggestions

Gareth 

This is a common problem. The recommended crank dimensions was specified incorrectly years ago by Dennis Welch of AH fame. He specified 65mm for the crank after scroll removal. The seal is too tight at this dimension and is rapidly worn away.  The seal works perfectly if the crank is sized at 63.5mm and you use a well made housing.

See. https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1026k/name/seal-kit-rear-crank-gaco-tr2-4a

For years my engine leaked through the seal, since correcting the error from decades ago oil loss is absolutely negligible.

Iain

Edited by iain
11 minutes ago, iain said:

This is a common problem. The recommended crank dimensions was specified incorrectly years ago by Dennis Welsh of AH fame. He specified 65mm for the crank after scroll removal. The seal is too tight at this dimension and is rapidly worn away.  The seal works perfectly if the crank is sized at 63.5mm and you use a well made housing.

See. https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1026k/name/seal-kit-rear-crank-gaco-tr2-4a

For years my engine leaked through the seal, since correcting the error from decades ago oil loss is absolutely negligible.

Iain

I thought I had read this previously. Thank you for confirmation.

Neil

54 minutes ago, iain said:

This is a common problem. The recommended crank dimensions was specified incorrectly years ago by Dennis Welsh of AH fame. He specified 65mm for the crank after scroll removal. The seal is too tight at this dimension and is rapidly worn away.  The seal works perfectly if the crank is sized at 63.5mm and you use a well made housing.

Iain

Yep me too.   Crank machined to 65 mm and continually dripped.   I went to the effort of starting the engine with the flywheel removed using the starting handle and could see the oil running out of the seal.

Re machined to smaller size plus the spring reduced in length IAW Tony Drews info.   Leak was cured.

http://www.tonydrews.com/uncle_jacks_engine_building_tips.htm

Crank

1.     If you are going to install the aftermarket rear seal, have the seal surface of the crank turned to 2.525 – whatever the current instructions may say. These seals are leaky and they need all the help they can get. The lip tension is too low. Therefore, measure the length of the spring and alter it to be exactly 8”  long

7 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

Gentlemen,

Thanks 

Graham 

TR shop sell the Bastuk equivalent. I used it on my re-build, - it works !

Bob

There's a Revington crankshaft seal on Ebay atm

"Triumph TR2 to TR4A NEW Crankshaft Oil Seal Conversion Kit Upgrade by REVINGTON"

FWIW If anyone is fitting a Marx/Bastuck seal I have the setting tool for it should you require.

Stuart.