Just mounted the chassis on its supports on the bench, ready for the body rebuild, and have a few  questions which I'm hoping you can help me with.

1st. would it be a good idea to load the chassis with say sand bags to simulate the engine and gearbox weight (as suggested by Roger Williams in his book- 'How to restore Triumph TR5/250 & 6').? 

2nd.  I'll probably find out in due course, but looking at the attached photos - what goes into the threaded holes on the top T shirt? there doesn't seem to be any sort of bolt or screw shown on the parts diagram. (circled)

3rd. This is a TR6 chassis, but for the life of me I can't work out what the bracket by the steering arm mounting bracket is for (circled).

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave.

DSCN0045.JPG

WHAT BOLTS IN THESE HOLES.jpg

What is this.jpg

20 minutes ago, brenda said:

Hi Dave, is the threaded bolts on photo 2 for the H frame!

Mike Redrose Group 

I think you will find Dave they are for the seat belt stalk and IIRC the seat runner?

Andy

I've not got a TR6 but is the circled bracket an anti "shunt" bracket to stop the steering rack displacing backwards and the steering column spearing the drivers chest...unless I dreamt it.

Mick Richards

43 minutes ago, brenda said:

Are not the right end of the car

Mike Redrose Group

We are looking towards the back trailing arms/T shirt with the diff bridge at the back of the pic. 

The bolt holes in the T shirt are for the seat belts and as Mick says the hump at the front cross member is a safety feature.

TBH Ive never bothered to weight down when building because if the chassis is good then it shouldnt move enough to make any odds.

Stuart.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Yes, the position of the outer of the two holes circled would seem to correspond with the position of the seat belt stalk. Upon further investigation, the inner two holes are not threaded, so a bit of a mystery. I get what you're saying about the possibility that the strange bracket by the steering rack support being some sort of safety device, but surely it would be on the other side to stop any spearing business.

On a similar theme, The body to chassis fitting kit which I bought from Moss contains a couple of strange rectangular belled mounting plates for the forward two body mounting holes on the T shirt, where on the parts diagram it seems to indicate a flat reinforcing plate. Can't quite see how they fit in any sensible way. Any thoughts?

Dave.

The plate fits like this.

Stuart.

1313615695_Floorplate-Copy.thumb.jpg.8864857b57f1bd40bbaa6b8975748476.jpg

1 hour ago, dave bailey said:

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Yes, the position of the outer of the two holes circled would seem to correspond with the position of the seat belt stalk. Upon further investigation, the inner two holes are not threaded, so a bit of a mystery. I get what you're saying about the possibility that the strange bracket by the steering rack support being some sort of safety device, but surely it would be on the other side to stop any spearing business.

On a similar theme, The body to chassis fitting kit which I bought from Moss contains a couple of strange rectangular belled mounting plates for the forward two body mounting holes on the T shirt, where on the parts diagram it seems to indicate a flat reinforcing plate. Can't quite see how they fit in any sensible way. Any thoughts?

Dave.

The bracket is actually to stop the engine moving forward

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, roy53 said:

A bit late but here’s it 

Roy

image.jpg

Roy you might want to look at the weld where the rack bracket joins the flat top of the inner wishbone box, looks cracked to me.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Here and here possibly

crack.jpg

No the left hand line you indicate is the lower inner bracket shim line.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave...I am at a similar stage to you.

Do you plan to fit the body before mounting the engine and transmission....[Much easier afterwards].

Also....I have private messaged you.

IMG_2070.JPG

Edited by Malbaby
On 3/26/2024 at 12:37 PM, stuart said:

The bracket is actually to stop the engine moving forward

Stuart.

Only just read this thread, but I’m intrigued by the said bracket. I’ve read elsewhere that it’s to stop the engine moving forward, but why would Triumph be so bothered about that? Also, logically the larger end would surely face rearward, not forwards in that case. A safety device to stop the steering column moving back would make more sense to me, but then why only on the left side? Only required for the American market due to stricter safety regulations there maybe?

Mike.

Hi Malcolm.

To be honest I haven't thought far enough ahead yet to work out whether to fit the engine and transmission before the body goes on

as the body is going to take at least another couple of years, and the engine is going to need a rebuild. the gearbox and overdrive is sorted though!

Slowly, slowly cachee monkee. 

Dave. 

Engine and gearbox on chassis first for me. Apart from having to lift body a bit higher to clear engine when placing it on chassis it’s so much easier to manoeuvre without new paint damage.  
Very tight fitting engine and g/box as one lump down at an angle into body if you fit body to chassis first. Easy to scrape new paint, particularly on bulkhead above transmission tunnel. 
If you do decide to fit body first, then engine and box leave the g/box lid off to give a bit more wiggle room. 
Dave McD