Classic Driving Developments do a hydraulic kit

Holden vintage do an electric one

Tom

I spoke to Michael a few months ago from Ezpowersteeringuk who make kits for historic cars as my neighbour with a 1950's Alfa used them happily. I seem to recall the cost of the TR6 column would be £2,180.00 inc vat and delivery.  generally available from stock at their factory. Note: that price was in Oct 23 so may have changed.

I have no affiliation and haven't purchased, but from the instructions they sent to me it looks very clear to DIY.

Edited by Steve-B

Each to his own but I've always found EPAS to be a bit artificial in every modern I've driven. Given the CDD hydraulic option is listed as £1400 I'd be beating a path to their door if I was ever in the market for PAS for my TR6

Hi Dave

Bought quite a few parts from Alistair over the last few years and always being happy with his parts and communication. I'm sure get back to you.

For what its worth if I wanted power steering I think I'd go with CDD kit as the assistance is maximum at low speed/parking and reduces with speed and likely will maintain the original  "feel" and is DIY. I'm sure someone will come along who actually has it fitted to comment further.  

Andy

2 hours ago, Dave Squance said:

Do we know of anybody in the TR register that I’ve used them and confirm their system is good for the TR6

I have it and it's fantastic. Straightforward to fit but only with an electric fan mounted in front of the rad. Yes, Alasdair can be a little slow to respond to emails. I seem to recall he has somebody who helps him manage the Facebook Messenger channel so try that as well.
JC

A few years ago I fitted electric power steering to my ‘82 BMW, using a Corsa column and drive , bought on ebay for around £50.

If you have good engineering skills and some machine tools, this can be a challenging and enjoyable project.

I believe there are new options for speed variable sensing, use gps. 

The whole job only cost around 80 quid or so, it transformed the car, making it a pleasure to drive.

Photo shows the project in process, more info available if needed.

cheers

Mike

P1050831.jpeg

P1050809.jpeg

A EPS from a Renault Clio 2 might be smaller and fit TRs perfect.

It uses the same unit like EZ Powersteering does.

If you got a lathe it will cost you a total of 100-150 Euro.

909860796_76EPSRenaultClioIIforTriumphTR4A-datewiththeTUEV.JPG.03e0e0e98bed437b409195ec63504a30.JPG

Edited by Z320
On 3/20/2024 at 1:55 AM, Steve-B said:

I spoke to Michael a few months ago from Ezpowersteeringuk who make kits for historic cars as my neighbour with a 1950's Alfa used them happily. I seem to recall the cost of the TR6 column would be £2,180.00 inc vat and delivery.  generally available from stock at their factory. Note: that price was in Oct 23 so may have changed.

I have no affiliation and haven't purchased, but from the instructions they sent to me it looks very clear to DIY.

One problem with EPAS aftermarket systems is their method of mounting the unit under the dash...An Automotive Engineer would never pass the installation.

Have the CDD unit fitted by Alistair at his place and it’s excellent. One quick thought: what size tyres are you running? I’ve come down from ridiculously big 205s to 185s and it has made a dramatic difference to the lightness of the steering even with the CDD unit fitted.

15 minutes ago, CharlieBubbles said:

Have the CDD unit fitted by Alistair at his place and it’s excellent. One quick thought: what size tyres are you running? I’ve come down from ridiculously big 205s to 185s and it has made a dramatic difference to the lightness of the steering even with the CDD unit fitted.

Even better if you go down to original issue size 165s then you wouldnt need power steering ;)

Stuart.

54 minutes ago, stuart said:

Even better if you go down to original issue size 165s then you wouldnt need power steering ;)

Stuart.

A thought that subsequently crossed my mind Stuart! I inherited the 205s and if the difference between them and the 185s is doubled by going down to 165s I can see exactly what you’re saying. The CDD set up with 185s is definitely ‘light’; I personally wouldn’t like to try it with 165s.

Hello All

This how I have done my Vitesse using a kit but you do need a lathe etc

I went for the manual adjust power assit

I did look at buying bits off Fleabay but it was the control box that confused me!

Roger

DSC02854.JPG

DSC02858.JPG

DSC02859.JPG

DSC06452.JPG

DSC06453.JPG

11 hours ago, mleadbeater said:

Malbaby

can you give use some more details as to why?

cheers

Mike

IMHO.....The light guage steel bracket that is attached to the firewall to bolt down the column was OK back in the day, but not these days.

All of the aftermarket EPAS systems that I have seen only have an additional steel stay attached as support for the steering column.

There is column torque generated by the unit and should be addressed properly...eg..delete the existing firewall bracket and bolt/weld in a substantial dedicated bracket.

The price of the "Ezpowersteeringuk" unit is OTT, whereas a unit such as "Z320's" can be fabricated at a much lower cost.

"Stuart" is correct regarding tyre size.

Edited by Malbaby
2 hours ago, Dave Squance said:

today  my power assisted steering will arrive.from CCD. I will write a report on this forum about fitting and how good it is with my 205 tyres. 
if I need advice, I’m sure Alistair will be able to help  

I'm sure you'll find it a delight to fit and use. I just hope that Alasdair doesn't mind you mis-spelling his name :P

Hi

I fitted CDD power steering over Christmas,  the earlier version ran from the crank pully as described in the instructions on their webb site.

The latest version drives from the water pump pully with a shorter drive belt new pump supplied with double pully.

My observation when fitting which I did my self. Do not fit with the engine lifting Eye which instructions say can be left on if wished, with it left on the pump  does not run square.

The pump pully was 3mm out of alignment so I made some spacers to align it, this is noticeable with  the short belt, the older version with the longer belt to the crank would not have been noticable.

The other issue I had was the front cross member in front of the engine. My car is a 75US car and the lugs which support the  radiator struts are below the bar

Which ment they prevented the hoses being attached to the rack, I had to cut them off and re weld on top of the bar early cars ok google images helped on this to spot the deference. I think the original kit had a new one supplied looking at the kit diagram due to larger crank pully

Lastly if webbers fitted and depending on filter type the mount bracket for the reseviour can't be used and has to be mount in a different position 

I did pass my findings to Alistair at Stoneleigh triumph spares day

Hope this is helpful  Richard